Author Topic: Issues  (Read 3042 times)

February 05, 2007, 11:04:39 AM
Read 3042 times

Kodiac

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
I'm running a Prostar D4F laptop, with a 3 gig Inhell Pentium 4 processor, 1024mb of RAM, and an 80 gig hard drive.  It's been having trouble with files being corrupted, and I'm wondering what to do about it.

For example, when trying to install Skype, I can download the file, but when I try to install it it gives me an error along the lines of "the file skype.exe does not match the file in setup.cab". 

Another example-  I tried to install Black and White 2 ( I am aware that the integrated graphics cannot handle this game- that is not the issue.)  I have both the physical disks, and images of them.  I have a valid cd key.  I can get past the first cd, and then it gives me a CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) error, using both images and physical disks.  It does this whenever I try to install something, and it is making me rather angry. 

I did reformat, and even moved to a different version of windows (Home ---> Pro)

So, I have replaced the hard drive, RAM, and mobo/processor (by putting the mobile parts in another laptop), separately and in groups.  Everything works in the other laptop, with no trouble.  That leads me to think that I have a problem with my motherboard and processor, but I'd like a second (and third, and fourth) opinion.  Go ahead and ask me some questions, I've got more information, I'm just not sure if it's all relevant.  I'm not posting my DXDIAG yet because of all the hardware changes I've made.
Kodiac teh Pirate Bear
One part comm, one part cheerleader, 3 parts cuddly bear

February 06, 2007, 10:55:22 PM
Reply #1

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
What exactly have you ruled out that it most likely ISN'T? Confusing when you say you tested the cpu/mobo in another laptop then you think it's probably the mobo/cpu.

I reveal penis I know psychology.

February 08, 2007, 09:46:40 AM
Reply #2

Kodiac

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
I know that it is not the Hard drive or the RAM.  Those are what I have tested- I apologize if I wasn't quite clear on that.
Kodiac teh Pirate Bear

February 18, 2007, 02:54:00 PM
Reply #3

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
doublecheck with memtest86 just to be sure.

February 19, 2007, 01:27:53 PM
Reply #4

Kodiac

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
Thanks, I'll let you know what the results are.
Kodiac teh Pirate Bear