Author Topic: Multiple Windows OSes  (Read 2961 times)

August 23, 2006, 08:48:02 PM
Read 2961 times

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
A few months ago, I bought an HP dv5000 laptop. Of course, it came preinstalled with tons of stuff I would never use, but couldn't delete. I lived with it.

Fast forward to today. I got pretty sick of all the clutter, so I decided to format my hard drive and install with the XP Media Center CD that came with the computer. Anyway, a few hours later, I restart after installing the OS and drivers and find that instead of going straight to the "Welcome" screen, I'm looking at a menu telling me to choose which OS to boot: XP Media Center, or XP Pro.

The fact that the clutter on my hard drive was never removed and was simply reinstalled with the OS I'll deal with, but I'm not sure what to do about this. Anyone know?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 08:54:55 PM by Manta »

August 24, 2006, 11:04:01 AM
Reply #1

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Format Disk!

I reveal penis I know psychology.

August 24, 2006, 01:42:18 PM
Reply #2

Nuketheplace

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
Yah you forgot to format the disk.  I did that once.  Need to reformat and then reinstall windows.  If you just reinstall everything will still be there.

August 24, 2006, 04:29:56 PM
Reply #3

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    Nemesis of fun the world over
    • View Profile
nooo don't start over!  You don't have to, although you have a choice, you can (probably) only boot into one of the options.

Edit your C:\boot.ini - you'll have two lines that look similar to this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Delete the one you don't need, save, and your problem is gone.

You don't have two OS's installed... I'm not sure why the boot.ini remembers your previous version of windows.  I've run into this a couple times...

August 24, 2006, 09:37:29 PM
Reply #4

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
I definitely formatted the disk. I think it's just the OS CD. Your way worked out though, GrayDuck, so I think it's fine now.