Author Topic: Ns 3.0 Thoughts  (Read 17565 times)

January 26, 2004, 10:41:16 AM
Reply #20

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
well that helps things out, and i dont think backwards flight words because for me when i hit my backward button he goes foward.

January 26, 2004, 11:02:46 AM
Reply #21

JHunz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
    • http://
I think it was supposed to be added already.  But consider that an improvement - before if you held backwards it wouldn't go anywhere at all.
"We have plenty of youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

January 26, 2004, 01:48:56 PM
Reply #22

@gentOrange

• Fade

• View Profile
One thing I'd like to say about catpacks. Everyone says they're useless but I played on a random pub yesterday because I didn't feel like playing 8 rounds of CO (thanks res slotters...).

We were rushing a hive and when we got there the floor was blanketed with catpacks. Most of us had shotties. We reloaded lightning (bleu!) quick and took down the hive in a matter of seconds. Nothing could touch us and we weren't so damn vulnerable during our reload.

It's just going to take a bit of time for everyone to realise what they're good for. They aren't just a spur of the moment thing but for hive assault they are wonderous!
Sig size too big, 22kb is the max size, yours is 28kb - DHP

January 26, 2004, 02:01:07 PM
Reply #23

JHunz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
the main reason people are saying catpacks are useless is because, again, they don't work on SunnyD or any other metamod server.
"We have plenty of youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

January 26, 2004, 02:21:27 PM
Reply #24

Jefe

• Fade

• View Profile
If it is unbalanced now, it is no fault of the testers, because Flayra does with the game as he sees fit.
That's exactly the problem, the testers have posted countless threads on what to fix in 3.0, and Flayra hasn't listened to a single thing.  It's extremely frustrating.

*DISCLAIMER*  Do not take the above post seriously.

January 26, 2004, 02:32:14 PM
Reply #25

fatty

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
uranium and electricity are overpowered. nerf them i say. :angry:

when i put a point in catpack on SunnyD the increased walk speed seemed to work but i didnt seem to be firing faster.

am i the only one stupid enough to put a point in "scan area" ?

i agree with most/all of what uranium said.

January 26, 2004, 02:40:16 PM
Reply #26

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
NOTE FOR CLARIFICATION:

Stomp's STUN effect last's one second. In my post, I was talking about the stomp shockwave. I'd have no problem being stunned for 3 seconds if I was an inch in front of the onos. But being stunned for one second when the stomp shockwave has entirely disapeared a foot in front of me...

BTW: I agreed at first with Diablus on lerk flight. He feels like a combination F-16 / Boeing 777. It'll just take a long time to get used to. Would be nice for an option to have 'old flight' and 'new flight'.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 02:45:02 PM by Uranium - 235 »

January 26, 2004, 02:46:09 PM
Reply #27

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
the main reason people are saying catpacks are useless is because, again, they don't work on SunnyD or any other metamod server.
Uh, in order for them to be identified as 'not working' on metamod, it'd require a commander to actually drop one. I don't think anyone besides you and LB and other server owners knew that, so there's another reason for them not being used.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 02:46:25 PM by Uranium - 235 »

January 26, 2004, 03:20:10 PM
Reply #28

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
Combat: So far, I love it. Its a great change of pace from regular NS, and friends can get into it without any problems. I may eventually get bored of it, but at the moment its great fun.

Regular NS: I'm going to stay on the Lunixmonster for some 2.01 action.

January 26, 2004, 04:17:55 PM
Reply #29

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Lerk flight: If the speed wasn't locked down so much in the forward direction, it would rock. I think this is what gives people so much of the 'flying brick' feeling. Find a very high area (there's a ladder going up to a rather useless bridge area on co_kestrel near the hive {i think it's kestrel, CC in a pit?} that is perfect for this) look up, and start flapping. It's like a 2.0 lerk again! ZOOM! However, when flying horizontally, slow, slow, slooooow. Celerity helps a bit with this, but still. A lerk should be speedy. He FLIES for freak's sake. How often have you seen a bird flapping along at 3 miles an hour? A celerity lerk should be faster than a blinking fade or leaping skulk, says I. Not as fast as a walking skulk.

Yes, I don't know why I'm whining about this here, obviously no one here can do anything about it, but at least I get it out of my system until the forums come back and I can go back to being ignored there!

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

January 26, 2004, 04:22:46 PM
Reply #30

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Because Flayra does with the game as he sees fit.
Unfortunately this is his undoing. He's trying to use NS as Unknown World's posterchild, the thing that made them famous. This 'I don't care what anyone else thinks' attitude is fine for a private modder, but he's got to stop doing that if he ever wants people to actually buy his software.

If I were a potential investor, with 20 G's to lay down, I look at Unkown Worlds and I see a small time team that might have potential, then I look around at natural-selection.org and find out that they blisfully ignore every single issue their players bring up. Now why would I want to risk $20,000 on a game development team that has all the social charms of a grumpy hermit?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 04:25:22 PM by Uranium - 235 »

January 26, 2004, 04:47:50 PM
Reply #31

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Hey, it works for valvE. Don't knock the system!

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

January 26, 2004, 06:23:53 PM
Reply #32

Sancho

• Legacy Admin
  • Fade

• View Profile
Hey, it works for valvE. Don't knock the system!
Haha so true!

January 26, 2004, 07:27:25 PM
Reply #33

@gentOrange

• Fade

• View Profile
Focus is great for early game yet becomes utterly useless later on. I'd like to see it get the same treatment as carapace. Meaning it gets stronger with more hives.

Focus does double damage as it is. With 3 sense chambers.

I'd like to see it changed to something along these lines (just guess numbers would need actual tweaking):

1 hive =  200%  damage
2 hive =  250%
3 hive =  300% or 325%

Otherwise it's useless to have after l2 armor. It's pretty useless at l1 but if you're an accurate chomper it's still good.
Sig size too big, 22kb is the max size, yours is 28kb - DHP

January 26, 2004, 07:34:21 PM
Reply #34

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Just quit a game becuase holy devil didn't understand the counter to focus are early game armor upgrades :/ It about 30 minutes in and we're getting slaughtered left and right with... level 1 armor.

January 26, 2004, 07:52:38 PM
Reply #35

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
I see a lot of potential in 3.0.  Combat will gain a lot of players, while still encourgeing teamwork (due to the fact you get xp if your near the person that got a kill).

Its just very very unbalanced..
Aliens:
SC is utterly useless, cloak is nerfed so much, theres no point in getting it (Come on, 3 seconds to cloak? Then turning the mouse too fast causes uncloak)... Focus is useless in anything past very early game.. and SoF isn't used much anyway

DC is a bit better, hasn't changed much.. it needs a faster heal rate though

MC hasnt changed at all

Skulks are pretty good, they die a bit too fast now
Lerks suck.. the new flight model is all messed up (They need to combine the new and old), spikes are gone, meaning the lerk only has spores as a long range attack
Gorges are still doing ok, although the general structure costs needs to be decreased a little bit
Fades.. havent played as one yet, cant tell
Onos.. needs to go back to its 2.0 stage.. it should be a tank, it should cost 100 res, it should be a pain in the ass to kill.. It now needs about 1000 hp, just because of how quickly it dies

General alien gameplay is reduced though, the amount of res the aliens get per tick with no rts is about 0.0000001.. meaning that a rush to the aliens starting rt will set them back.. and marines win..  

Conclusion: The aliens suck, because people learned how to use them in 2.0, and all the marine players started complaining.

Marines:
Now have grenades, which hurt the lerk even more..
Got a useless updgrade (cat-packs)
Have beacon screwed over, it now moves live marines back to base, even if they were already there.
Elec now extends very far out, making it a pain to take anything out as a skulk

I have concluded that the game is now very unbalanced.. Combat needs to be dropped, until Ns can be balanced..

</RANT>

I'm loosing faith in the NS community.. the "veterans" think they become all-knowing when they get that little icon (I witnessed one tell the other to "keep him on the clan list" so he could keep his icon)  The people who donate become infected with this veteran stuff (most, not all)..
The I&S forums have become just a novelty.. The good ideas sink to the bottom, while bad ones stay at the top.. I find myself wondering how some of the people remember to breath daily.. and any attempt I make at improving that forum is met with hostility.
I don't want to see NS turn into CS.. but I fear it is slowly happening (/me holds his copy of 1.04 protectively)

January 26, 2004, 08:25:20 PM
Reply #36

.NmF. Screen

• Lerker

• View Profile
I completely agree with Uranium on most of his points.  The game is unbalanced, and the marines have the advantage.  I just played it today for the first time.  I was alien, and had so much trouble killing anything marine.  I was a fade, and got taken down by one marine with a lmg, and pistol, and a knife swipe.....  That's kinda pathetic...  I'm not sure if it's because of my lack of skill, but I used to be a darn good alien.  Now aliens suck, to put it plainly.  My vote, just play 2.01.

January 26, 2004, 08:28:08 PM
Reply #37

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
I'm loosing faith in the NS community.. the "veterans" think they become all-knowing when they get that little icon (I witnessed one tell the other to "keep him on the clan list" so he could keep his icon)  The people who donate become infected with this veteran stuff (most, not all)..
The I&S forums have become just a novelty.. The good ideas sink to the bottom, while bad ones stay at the top.. I find myself wondering how some of the people remember to breath daily.. and any attempt I make at improving that forum is met with hostility.
I don't want to see NS turn into CS.. but I fear it is slowly happening (/me holds his copy of 1.04 protectively)
*sniff* so touching :'(

The last thing i want to see happen to NS is for it to become like CS, i think i'd loose all faith in modding...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 08:28:17 PM by Satiagraha »

We are the shadow that comes in the night and says "ARRR!"
"yarrr I'm gaybeard the butt pirate, and I've come to plunder yer booty!" -TAK

January 26, 2004, 09:58:27 PM
Reply #38

DumbMarine

• Lerker

• View Profile
3.0? 3.0 is out? I thought that was a dream, because when I downloaded it it just laughed at me and didn't work at all. The only good thing I can say is 'thank potatoes that they put the title Beta next to it.'

January 27, 2004, 03:56:03 AM
Reply #39

Venmoch

• Gorge

• View Profile
I'm gonna take the counter-arguement here and be an objector, this will get me flamed badly but I feel I need to stand up for this.

First off I'm a marine player, always have been, always will be. I never like going aliens but I will if I have to. For a start as a marine player having a group of Oni run around massacring massed groups of marine is not "fun" in fact it sucks. It sucked so hard its one of the reasons I stopped playing 2.0.

It got frustrating, I did not want to play a game where most of the time some big alien that we had almost no chance of killing went around and raped the whole team. It isn't enjoyable.

However alien wins aren't as uncommon as you seem to think. Get a good team together and the aliens suddenly become very nasty indeed. Onos and a group of skulks with a lerk umbring is rather effective at taking on a group of heavies and the odd base or 4. Try going around IN GROUPS as skulks and suddenly it becomes a little easier to kill marines. I've seen it done and incidently that team went on to win the game.

Half the problem is what happened with the release of 2.0. People are still trying to do what won them the game in the old version. YOU NEED TO ADAPT! (I cannot stress this point enough) Alien teamwork is even more important than ever. And anyway this is a BETA, its not going to be balanced or remotely bug free yet so if you don't want to play it you don't have too. And if you really hate it that much stop playing, I mean how difficult is that? Go and play another Mod, after all there are more than NS! The fact that Flayra does anything he wants to is because its his mod. He could change the marines into fluffy pink bunnys and although the community would probably hate him and throw poop at him or something it wouldn't matter ITS HIS GAME! He can do whatever he wants. He doesn't owe you anything, remember that Constallation is a DONATION! so that arguement goes out the window immediately he gives you nice things for DONATING you didn't pay to play the Beta or get that icon thingy, he gave it to you because you donated.

OK Rant Over, Time to sum up this argument in a quote from some dude...

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the most responsive to change.” -Charles Darwin

FIX THIS!