Author Topic: Switching to... Linux!  (Read 5965 times)

July 05, 2006, 08:57:41 AM
Read 5965 times

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Hey guys and gals,

I'm thinking of switching to Linux for my next comp install. I, however, have no experience with it. I'm a pretty tech-y person, but none of that knowledge is of Linux. So, this is why I've come to you people.

Here are the things I do on my computer now:
- essays/graphs/etc (OpenOffice is fine)
- music, lots of it - 100 gigs (WinAmp, and I'm not too keen on switching - is there a very similar alternative?)
- GTalk, MSN (Trillian, Jabber? Don't know. I only use these 2 networks, nothing else)
- photo editing (currently using Ulead PhotoImpact, but don't mind using anything else)
- BitTorrent (I love uTorrent, but apparently it's windows-only, so I'm looking for a good alternative)

That's pretty much all I need. So, guys, help me pick a distro, and tell me if I should go ahead with this or not. Thank yous :)
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

July 05, 2006, 05:37:37 PM
Reply #1

Isamil

• Onos

• View Profile
    • http://
Music- I use Winamp myself so I don't have any firsthand experience with this, but http://www.xmms.org/about.php is modeled after Winamp.  It looks kind of old though.

IM-GAIM http://gaim.sourceforge.net/downloads.php seems to be the standard.  I use it whenever I need an IM program, which is almost never.

Photo editing- GIMP http://gimp.org/ Good program

BT-Don't know, plenty out there though.

Distro-I've always wanted to install Gentoo(never got around to it).  It has a good manual and a new GUI installer, but it's still kind of complicated to use.  

I've heard good things about Slackware.  Still not amazingly user-friendly.

Ubuntu is easy to install/use.  

I've never seriously used Linux before(how will I run WoW?!(of course, I've half-quit the game)), but it should be fine for the things you listed.  I might switch sometime if I can find out how to run Steam.  Try Gentoo and see if you like it.

July 05, 2006, 06:41:32 PM
Reply #2

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Ubuntu, plain and simple. It's magical :p
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

July 06, 2006, 05:37:47 PM
Reply #3

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
I prefer debian, but that's just me..  I'll be moving over to linux when I get a new HD (It's too annoying to repartition NTFS stuff, and I think I'll still need windows)

Anyway, XMMS is your best bet for music.  GAIM is pretty good for IM stuff.. although I haven't actually used it in awhile.  I can't really help with photo editing.. I suck horribly at it, so I stopped trying.

July 09, 2006, 09:54:28 AM
Reply #4

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Gentoo will get you labeled as a ricer I hear.

July 16, 2006, 01:40:07 AM
Reply #5

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

July 20, 2006, 07:36:49 PM
Reply #6

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Oy. Did the install today (Ubuntu), and.. get hit in the face with a brick.

It doesn't support NTFS. I'm reading lots and lots of manuals as to how I can do it - drivers, etc. But, I can't figure any of it out.

Can someone give me a (very detailed) guide as to how I can access files on my other partition(s), with NTFS? I really need this.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

July 20, 2006, 10:16:39 PM
Reply #7

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
easy way: give up. use windows.
hard way: spend several hours working on enabling ntfs support to find out that you a) can only mount read-only or b) can't modify more than ten files before you risk corrupting the partition. give up. use windows.
cheat: use partition magic to convert ntfs to something that's not ntfs. pray that it doesn't make the partition explode. win.

the 'easiest' way to have all your data accessable would probably be:
shrink ntfs partition to make room for a [favourire *nix filesystem] partition, mount as read only, copy. do whatever with the ntfs partition (formatting comes to mind)

tl;dr: ntfs support under *nix blows.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 10:20:35 PM by Black Mage »

July 20, 2006, 10:57:40 PM
Reply #8

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Oy. I really didn't want to hear that.

Why did Lunix decide not to support NTFS? If it's such a dominant filesystem for Windows, why not just base Linux on it?

July 20, 2006, 11:14:56 PM
Reply #9

Isamil

• Onos

• View Profile
From what I understand, Microsoft never released any specifications on how NTFS worked, making it rather difficult to base their OS on it.  The linux-ntfs guys clarify that a little with
3.8 How was the Linux NTFS Driver written?

Microsoft haven’t released any documention about the internals of NTFS, so we had to reverse engineer the filesystem from scratch. The method was roughly:

Look at the volume with a hex editor
      Perform some operation, e.g. create a file
      Use the hex editor to look for changes
      Classify and document the changes
      Repeat steps 1-4 forever

If this sounds like a lot of work, then you probably understand how hard the task has been. We now understand pretty much everything about NTFS and we have documented it for the benefit of others: http://www.linux-ntfs.org/content/view/103/42

Actually writing the driver was far simpler than gathering the information.

July 20, 2006, 11:24:41 PM
Reply #10

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
****ing Microsoft :angry:

Would it be possible to, say, burn all my files to DVDs (like, 20 of them :mellow:), and then re-format to ex3 (or whichever format Lunix likes), and then put the files back?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 11:30:29 PM by 2_of_8 »

July 21, 2006, 05:14:14 AM
Reply #11

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile

July 21, 2006, 08:42:40 AM
Reply #12

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Oy. "Please make a backup of your NTFS volume..."

Yes, because I have ~100 GB just lying around!

Grr. This pisses me off.. I don't want to go back to windows. I love everything about Linux - except this NTFS thing. I wouldn't want to switch because of just one thing.

July 21, 2006, 11:15:10 AM
Reply #13

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg

Would it be possible to, say, burn all my files to DVDs (like, 20 of them :mellow:), and then re-format to ex3 (or whichever format Lunix likes), and then put the files back?
[snapback]56095[/snapback]

just don't get any of them scratched

July 21, 2006, 08:31:10 PM
Reply #14

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
lunix is fun and cool etc etc

but it's a pain
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

July 21, 2006, 10:25:36 PM
Reply #15

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile

[snapback]56095[/snapback]

just don't get any of them scratched
[snapback]56098[/snapback]
Would it work, however?

July 22, 2006, 11:37:51 AM
Reply #16

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
wouldn't a super easy, but more expensive way be to get a new HDD :X?

this is the .44 Wand, the most powerful wand in the world, so did I fire 5 or 6 fireballs? Now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?

July 23, 2006, 06:39:33 PM
Reply #17

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Well, what do you know. The helpful peoples at ubuntuforums.org helped me out, and now I can access the hard drives. Now I just need an mp3 codec, and my mission will be complete.

I can't wait :)