Author Topic: Comming On Hera  (Read 4702 times)

January 19, 2004, 11:00:01 AM
Read 4702 times

esuna

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • bellendsebastian.com
Well, i've just got off a game on LM.

I joined marines and there's me (named "Nub", hehe) and some other guy, so reckoning he wouldn't get in the chair, i decided to take up the position.

Straight off the bat i threw down an IP, TF, Armoury and shortly later an obs. I drop a welder and ask someone to weld through to cargo. Eventually we get a whole team together of 7-8 people.

When cargo was finally welded to we dropped the RT, electrified then moved to vent, on the way dropping and electrifying Maintenance. When we get to vent we drop the node, phase and TF, elec the node and a small handful of turrets. So that's 4 elec nodes with relatively no opposition.

There is a reason for this lack of opposition. Seeing how people think that Reception and Holoroom are the main parts of the map, i had 3-4 marines or so constantly pushing for Reception, with which they faced heavy opposition. I told the marines that anyone going to Reception wouldn't get health or ammo. They were cannon fodder, a decoy. Yes they were dropping like flies and every Kharaa on the face of the map was pushing toward them.

Meanwhile on the other side of the map, i move my marines to upper reception, drop a PG, TF, RT and a handful of turrets. Once that was secure then it was over to the siege point in processing, again a TF, Sieges, Turrets, Phase and Obs. By this time we had level 2 weapons and armour and MT. Things were going well.

Data Core dropped with relatively no resistance, so once that was cleared up i dropped Processing's node and electrified it. So that's 6 electrified nodes, res was pouring in.

Finally i asked for a push on Archiving. So walking around the back of Holoroom, stopping briefly to knife their RTs, we moved to the room outside Archiving and dropped a PG, Obs and TF. Finally the aliens twigged what we were doing and very nearly took down the PG, we lost the TF, but in the meantime i had researched level 3 weapons and armour and HA. So time for the big boys to come out to play. Kitting up 3 or 4 marines with HA/HMG and welders they managed to get through and beat the Kharaa back then building another TF and sieges to destroy the OCs that were causing them a problem or two.

After making sure that Archiving was secure i dropped an armoury and told them to fill up and walk in. Which they did. The hive took a battering from the HMG fire and it was close to death when "Team One Wins"..

Bloody quitters.  :angry:

So in the RR i asked what happened and apparently i was "taking too long" so the aliens decided to quit. I'm really sorry if i was making sure my tactics were solid and trying to make sure that we stand a great chance of winning. But don't deprive me of this victory that is so hard to come by. A marine win on Hera with no relocation, no Holoroom and no Reception.

*EDIT: Kudos for you marines that played, you played hard and you played well, we deserved the victory.

*EDIT 2: I might add, this is my first time comming in quite some time, there was no insubordinance, no lamers and everything went as well as could have.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 11:05:34 AM by esuna »
Hint: Use Guided Mode for helpful prompts

January 19, 2004, 11:07:12 AM
Reply #1

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
well done, sounds like a great game. the f4ing sounds lame, however. but that was still a nice win :D
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

January 19, 2004, 12:12:12 PM
Reply #2

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Crack commed us to victory much the same way, except we relocated to cargo. Really, it's MUCH better then relocating to Reception, since they usually won't expect a relocate there. Furthermore, very very few people ever actually cap that node and weld the door open. With the door leading out to the landing pad, the cargo node, the node upstairs, and the engineering (or whatever it's called... where the big generator-like thing is outside of vent hive) you can easilly control 4 nodes, 5 if you lock down vent. Furthermore you can siege part of holoroom from Cargo, reaching one of the RTs.

January 19, 2004, 02:52:34 PM
Reply #3

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://
I have foolishly tried to weld through that door from the other side before... stupid welding sprite showing through the wall! And gj esuna. You should try comming more, I'd love to have a comm yelling at me in a fiery british accent. Adds to the atmosphere of the game. Not sure how, now that I think of it, but it sounds fun anyway.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

January 19, 2004, 05:57:29 PM
Reply #4

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
And to no big surprise you welded open cargo, which I was going to suggest when I saw the title of the thread. I know I'm no comm, but I've seen marines relocate to cargo (pretty successfully, they were ALL OVER that map) and that got me thinking: Relocate? Heck, it's five seconds from Marine spawn if you just weld open that door, and it gives you easy access to processing.

I played a game with Holy Devil today where I suggested this, but he relocated to hera entrance and reception anyway, as they had ventilation hive. To his credit, we won that game. But then again, how often haven't we seen marines completely trapped in hera entrance and reception pretty early on? Try that cargo door from time to time, I'd like to see this in action.

January 19, 2004, 06:41:39 PM
Reply #5

Sancho

• Legacy Admin
  • Fade

• View Profile
I love when comms break from the whole "relocate to reception" formula, because it always catches the aliens off guard.  Yay for not following formulas! <3

January 24, 2004, 12:29:13 PM
Reply #6

Leaderz0rz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
staying in marine spawns is death, becuase of fades, and lerks, relocating to hera is death becuase the aliens expect it

January 24, 2004, 12:41:17 PM
Reply #7

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
staying in marine spawns is death, becuase of fades, and lerks, relocating to hera is death becuase the aliens expect it
Which is why I love relocating into cargo.