Author Topic: Www.natural-selection.org/forums  (Read 7424 times)

January 23, 2004, 07:41:14 AM
Reply #20

ANeM

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • Steam profile
Can't the server owner contact the abuser's ISP and get them shut down?  (Refering to the person making racist posts)
No.. supposedly the guy who was posting the racist stuff was using proxies.. which masks his real IP. So, yeah.. not to many chances there.

January 23, 2004, 08:43:39 AM
Reply #21

esuna

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • bellendsebastian.com
Can't the server owner contact the abuser's ISP and get them shut down?  (Refering to the person making racist posts)
No.. supposedly the guy who was posting the racist stuff was using proxies.. which masks his real IP. So, yeah.. not to many chances there.
It is entirely possible to trace a users IP through a proxy. It's a little harder than your standard ways, but it's still possible.

But as to IP banning this person, i'm pretty sure that the forums can't trace an IP through a proxy, so even if they banned the user's IP, he could still gain access via a proxy.
Hint: Use Guided Mode for helpful prompts

January 23, 2004, 08:44:34 AM
Reply #22

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
I just wish the forums were back up lol =3

January 23, 2004, 09:14:27 AM
Reply #23

esuna

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • bellendsebastian.com
Ok, i have the real reason.

- We brought most of the forums down yesterday while we figure out where all our bandwidth is going.  We are seeing extremely high usage, upwards of 40 gigs a day.  If anyone thinks they know what might be causing this, please let me know (it's not our downloads).
Hint: Use Guided Mode for helpful prompts

January 23, 2004, 11:52:30 AM
Reply #24

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
alright,

thank you esuna for shedding some light, I hope that they can get the forums back up soon.

since I'm an inquisitive bugger I'm going to pose a couple of questions I'm wondering

hmm,

What would cause upwards of 40 gigs of bandwith usage per day?

Was the bandwith usage increase releated / caused by the flooding, or has it been an ongoing problem?
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

January 23, 2004, 11:53:53 AM
Reply #25

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
[edit]

GG double post due to laggy crappy internet at school that should be good but the school district dropped the ball and let it roll away due to messed up gateway / firewall / effing filter

responding to uraniums post before he posted: also with DHCP you get a new IP every time, same with dial up
[/edit]
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 11:57:44 AM by That Annoying Kid »
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.

January 23, 2004, 11:54:04 AM
Reply #26

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
It is entirely possible to trace a users IP through a proxy. It's a little harder than your standard ways, but it's still possible.

But as to IP banning this person, i'm pretty sure that the forums can't trace an IP through a proxy, so even if they banned the user's IP, he could still gain access via a proxy.
Yeah, and if you're using broadband you can get a new IP in seconds at the least, at the most you'll have a brand new one next week.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 11:54:21 AM by Uranium - 235 »

January 23, 2004, 12:17:28 PM
Reply #27

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
What would cause upwards of 40 gigs of bandwith usage per day?
That seems to be the question of the moment. I'm betting it's l33t hax0rz that have invaded and are running their underground pr0n warez site off of ns.org's bandwidth. Or someone managed to host a 500 meg animated avatar and then spammed a lot of messages around. Or... something. I've just run out of clever ideas. This is a sign that I should get more coffee and get back to work, perhaps.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

January 23, 2004, 01:34:19 PM
Reply #28

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
a few guys, theoretically, could launch a DoS by f5'ing on the combat screenshots thread
Thats no DoS lol. Infact, by refresing the page causes no harm at all because it loads your saved .html and if you make your browser not save them, then it causes lag on your side.

You've never seen a real dos have you? and no im not talking about -netstat in your command line or ping.exe
disable cache-ing and get a lot of people, it has been done
as for a 'true' dos, we have our tools...

January 23, 2004, 01:43:39 PM
Reply #29

Ulatoh

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/user=starvingpoet
the uberest tool for a DoS attack = my Unix Box
Virus removed.
Your sig pic contained naughty language. Removed. -lolfighter
I never had a sig pic :p
Then where'd that picture come from?
Nanites.

January 23, 2004, 01:52:30 PM
Reply #30

crack

• Skulk

• View Profile
proxies are weak. depending on what level there based on. THEY CAN Be traced.

Now, infecting and using 1000's of other peoples pc to run dos attacks is the way to go.

Im sure it was some CS kiddy trying to find a exploit the ns forums to be the leet h4x0r he really is.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 01:53:01 PM by crack »

January 23, 2004, 04:06:24 PM
Reply #31

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
waii... but now that they're back up I saw something that slightly angered me.  Why were the PTs allowed to still browse the boards?  I know they help out with the game and all but what's that got to do with the boards?  I agree with that policy as much as I agree with 'moderating' in IRC (where only the chosen can speak).  It just strikes me as a lil needlessly elitist/favouritist that's all.

And no, I don't mind PTs, I just don't agree with this particular situation ok? :p

January 23, 2004, 04:20:35 PM
Reply #32

Lightning Blue

• Overlord Penguin
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    The Story Never Ends
    • STEAM_0:0:1372
    • View Profile
    • The Lunixmonster
Moderating in IRC is very needed when you have 300 people trying to talk (spam) at once and the ops can't handle it all.

And trust me, looking at 24 hours of no new posts was boring as hell :p
To the stars!

insert witty line here

January 23, 2004, 11:07:00 PM
Reply #33

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg

Now, infecting and using 1000's of other peoples pc to run dos attacks is the way to go.

Im sure it was some CS kiddy trying to find a exploit the ns forums to be the leet h4x0r he really is.
rotate proxies every few seconds, and try to double up ... triple even

January 27, 2004, 11:56:45 AM
Reply #34

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
waii... but now that they're back up I saw something that slightly angered me.  Why were the PTs allowed to still browse the boards?  I know they help out with the game and all but what's that got to do with the boards?  I agree with that policy as much as I agree with 'moderating' in IRC (where only the chosen can speak).  It just strikes me as a lil needlessly elitist/favouritist that's all.

And no, I don't mind PTs, I just don't agree with this particular situation ok? :p
being a true PT is a honour bestowed upon a chosen few, they have been around the longest and there memeber group was probably set up when the boards were made, and at that time they had access to browse the offline board, and it probly just hasn't changed...

January 27, 2004, 03:00:18 PM
Reply #35

crack

• Skulk

• View Profile

rotate proxies every few seconds, and try to double up ... triple even
Thats a "DUH".again. depending on the level they can be traced.

January 27, 2004, 03:32:02 PM
Reply #36

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
I suggest, that they totally clear both the Bugs and I&S forums (I&S esp, there is still stuff there from 1.0).. The bugs forum needs to be kept on top of

Perfect time to upgrade the forum software (maybe its a bug in the software, because of the large number of posts)

a simply rm of all the posts would probably clear up the problems, and get rid of all the useless stuff too..

The bandwidth is probably coming from the 4000 "Funny Screeny Threads".  that a few people managed to find, and sat there looking at

Did anyone think that maybe ther forums were being indexed by a search engine?

January 28, 2004, 01:36:10 AM
Reply #37

Venmoch

• Gorge

• View Profile
Did anyone think that maybe ther forums were being indexed by a search engine?
Dude it happens here.....
« Last Edit: January 28, 2004, 01:40:20 AM by Venmoch »

FIX THIS!

January 28, 2004, 01:43:39 AM
Reply #38

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I TOLD YOU ALL THAT STEVE (AKA MY CUTE LIL GOOGLEBOT) WAS HERE BUT NO, YOU ALL LAUGHED, SAID I WAS MAD!!! WELL WHO'S MAD NOW?! HUH?! DO YOU BELIEVE ME NOW!?!

January 28, 2004, 02:06:19 AM
Reply #39

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Buh... Wha...? Wuh...

Uh... Disagreeing with the PTs having access when it was cut off for everyone else is all good and fine, but doesn't lead to anything. It was cut off for everyone save a select few trusted users in order to save the forums from bandwidth meltdown. As for setting mode +m in IRC: While I abhor collective punishment as well, mode +m is sometimes a necessity in order to shut up troublemakers. And to avoid pandemonium, like when 2.0 was released and #ns had over a thousand users.
Possible solution: Set mode +v for every user who joins the channel and keep it on moderated, then simply devoice those that cause trouble.
Why it doesn't work: They can just rejoin to get voice again, meaning that you'll just have to tempban them instead. And imagine an automatic mode +v on every user during the next join/part attack on #ns.