Author Topic: Computer fan problem  (Read 4520 times)

November 25, 2005, 04:11:09 PM
Read 4520 times

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
If anyone knows anything about what the cause could be, I'd appreciate some help here:

Lately, my computer's fan (I'm assuming it's the fan) has been making some very weird noises. Normally, the fan is pretty quiet, like a fan should be. For some reason, it just gets really loud and sounds like it's grinding against something, like a miniature chainsaw. It's not a regular grinding either; just now, it started off really loud, then kind of wound down to a vibrating sound, then got back up to the sound of an electric razor, then down to an electric toothbrush.

Now, I think this problem may have existed before I changed my processor, mobo, and video card, but I'm not sure from when. I seem to recall someone dropping something on my tower, causing the same sound to start, though. I'm not sure which fan it is. I have one on my card, one case fan with a heatsink, and my power supply.

I'm guessing it's the power supply, since it's the oldest piece in my computer, but other than that, I'm clueless.

November 25, 2005, 04:41:24 PM
Reply #1

holy_devil

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
do you have access to any other computers you can test your components on? that'll be very helpful :o

can also try taking everything off(all cards,drives, etc, just boot w/ mobo/proc and fans) and try to locate what is making the noise.

once you find the fan that seems to be the source of the noise, unplug the power to it and turn computer on. no noise, try replacing the fan with another(if you have, can be one from somewhere else if the power cords are the same), or plug it into a different power spot to see if it makes the same noises, etc

if its the proc/vid card fans then you can try to take them off and look for something that could be causing the problem.

im doubting its the power supply, that would be causing other issues, not noise from fans. faulty fan or something hitting against it.

it seems it may be the fan itself, just try switching the fan out if possible, or check all the wires to make sure they're fully plugged in(goes for any problem you ever have)

November 25, 2005, 08:07:28 PM
Reply #2

confused!

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.confusionville.net
i actually had a low flow fan burn out the other day. Woke up to the smell of burning electronics about 630 in the morning . My roomate woke up to see me running around the appartment in my boxers grabbing random bits of electronics and sniffing them.

it was fun.
HUEG SIGNATURE IS NUKED

November 26, 2005, 09:15:11 AM
Reply #3

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
i actually had a low flow fan burn out the other day. Woke up to the smell of burning electronics about 630 in the morning . My roomate woke up to see me running around the appartment in my boxers grabbing random bits of electronics and sniffing them.

it was fun.
[snapback]54359[/snapback]

Thats not a pleasent smell though.  I had a power supply burn up.. the house smelled for a couple of days

November 26, 2005, 09:52:08 AM
Reply #4

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Eh, I checked, and it appears to be my video card's (GeForce 4 MX 440 AGP) fan. I cleaned it up a bit (it was dusty), but it's still pretty bad. I'm guessing it's the ball bearings that are bad; I got the card used from a friend. I ordered a new fan from Newegg, but I'm not sure if it'll work, though the description listed it as compatible. My card has a sort of mount on top of the card (well, bottom if the tower's upright), and the fan is screwed in there. The one I ordered has a kind of casing around it, though.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 09:52:54 AM by Manta »

November 27, 2005, 11:32:16 PM
Reply #5

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Eh, I checked, and it appears to be my video card's (GeForce 4 MX 440 AGP) fan. I cleaned it up a bit (it was dusty), but it's still pretty bad. I'm guessing it's the ball bearings that are bad; I got the card used from a friend. I ordered a new fan from Newegg, but I'm not sure if it'll work, though the description listed it as compatible. My card has a sort of mount on top of the card (well, bottom if the tower's upright), and the fan is screwed in there. The one I ordered has a kind of casing around it, though.
[snapback]54362[/snapback]
Done the right things sir.  There is really no way to fix a PC fan, they will fry again in a few days if you lube them anyways.  They need to be maintained in a virtually dust free environment because the ballbearing are so pissy.  Just replace it.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

November 28, 2005, 07:34:06 AM
Reply #6

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Friends don't let friends use an MX card, much less give them one. I suggest stabbing aforementioned friend with a screwdriver until they are no longer your friend. Then buy a new GPU.

November 28, 2005, 01:55:43 PM
Reply #7

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Don't have the spare money to replace it right now, and I don't see a need to. Also, I'd have to get a better power supply if I were to replace my MX anyway.

This may be a dumb question, but if the fan stops while I'm using my PC, will it overheat/shut down/blow up immediately, or will it continue to operate as long as the temperature remains somewhat stable? I have a small desktop fan outside my case cooling the inside (my power supply can't support case fans with the stuff I have in there currently).

November 28, 2005, 05:24:34 PM
Reply #8

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
my old pc does that whenever you start it up. its really funny because the changes in pitch/tone are the same each time, so you can totally sing it like a song.

November 28, 2005, 05:41:27 PM
Reply #9

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Friends don't let friends use an MX card, much less give them one. I suggest stabbing aforementioned friend with a screwdriver until they are no longer your friend. Then buy a new GPU.
[snapback]54381[/snapback]
It should run ok without the active fan, expecially if you have other stuff blowing into that area.  However, if your video card starts complaining, expecially into a long game (unexplained frame loss or glitchyness) turn off the game and give it a rest for a while.  While it isn't in use it doesn't produce much heat at all.

November 28, 2005, 07:33:59 PM
Reply #10

holy_devil

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
[snapback]54381[/snapback]
It should run ok without the active fan, expecially if you have other stuff blowing into that area.  However, if your video card starts complaining, expecially into a long game (unexplained frame loss or glitchyness) turn off the game and give it a rest for a while.  While it isn't in use it doesn't produce much heat at all.
[snapback]54399[/snapback]

swift is indeed correct, i'd suggest reviewing power saving features(ie suspend) or just power off when not using the computer :o don't leave the case open or anything, i assume its agp, but if not try to position it in a good airflow spot. if it is agp, attempt to move any wires around it away so it can get better flow onto it :o best you can do for now really

November 29, 2005, 04:39:47 AM
Reply #11

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
I never leave it on if I'm not using it... and should I not leave the case open at all? I don't have any case fans (power supply sucks), so I cool it with a fan from the outside.

November 30, 2005, 05:20:04 AM
Reply #12

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
I never leave it on if I'm not using it... and should I not leave the case open at all? I don't have any case fans (power supply sucks), so I cool it with a fan from the outside.
[snapback]54402[/snapback]
In my experiance leaving the case open isn't so bad if you keep dust out as much as possible and don't have any small, potentailly wire chewing, rodents around.

December 01, 2005, 01:44:20 PM
Reply #13

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Fan arrived today. Just one question stands in my way of replacing a crappy fan: how do I remove the old heatsink-fan combo from the card? It's push-pinned in, same number of pins as the new one (checked before I ordered it).

Oh, and the fan came with some white gel. Not sure what it's for - my last gpu didn't even have a fan.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 02:06:31 PM by Manta »

December 01, 2005, 04:50:15 PM
Reply #14

holy_devil

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Fan arrived today. Just one question stands in my way of replacing a crappy fan: how do I remove the old heatsink-fan combo from the card? It's push-pinned in, same number of pins as the new one (checked before I ordered it).

Oh, and the fan came with some white gel. Not sure what it's for - my last gpu didn't even have a fan.
[snapback]54435[/snapback]

i think the gel goes between the fan and the chip it rests on. as for removing it, check the manufacturers website for help, probably find something on their forums/support section easily

December 07, 2005, 08:19:09 PM
Reply #15

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
If they are the pins I'm thinking of (Little white plastic thingys), you should be able to compress the back, and slip them right through.

The gel is almost certainly thermal compound.  What happens is, after you remove the old heatsink, on the main chip there will probably be shitty looking stuff.  Clean it off with some rubbing alcohol (clean the chip even if nothing is on it).  Next put a decent amount of that stuff onto the chip, then put the heatsink on top of it.

Consult the manual first, make sure it doesnt tell you how.

December 09, 2005, 07:34:34 AM
Reply #16

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Thanks for the help. The pushpins were just old, so they were a bit harder to remove without damaging the card. It's all good now, though.