Author Topic: NS 3.1 out tomorrow  (Read 15903 times)

November 30, 2005, 07:45:42 AM
Reply #60

DarkScythe

• Skulk

• View Profile
lol i've played a few games on LM, and they were really fun, with all the old reg's
but it all ended the same way, at the end of three maps or so, either it changed to an unpopular map that some non-regs left OR one team was so good the other team decided to ragequit but either way, it ended up dropping us to about 9 people or so, ONE short of the NS and it went CO and the remaining 9 players, dissatisfied with CO, left
I think CO kills the server more than livens it up lol :/
If i wanted to play CO there are about 2135907346 other CO servers out there.. I originally came to LM cuz it was a well-skilled, mature NS server (and i wanted to beat HD, but..i don't think that's gonna happen any time soon)

So if you guys still favor trying to keep NS up, I would say change the map rotation as 2of8 suggested, leaving out the crap maps and putting in the popular ones, and lowering combat requirement to 8 or even 6..
best option imo is get that voting plugin or whatever it is they use on IAM's Gorge's Hideout or the NSA Classic Server, where there are two rounds of voting, first for a random selection of 6 maps or so (at least one CO and one NS map) and second round to vote on the two maps that got the most votes previously
this way, if the server wants to play CO, they can switch to CO whenever they want, otherwise it will field to the likes of the majority of the server population at the time

November 30, 2005, 01:04:56 PM
Reply #61

Lightning Blue

• Overlord Penguin
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    The Story Never Ends
    • STEAM_0:0:1372
    • View Profile
    • The Lunixmonster
Or I can do what I did last (?) year and remove CO entirely.

Good idea!
To the stars!

insert witty line here

November 30, 2005, 05:48:22 PM
Reply #62

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Because people would rather join a 0/17 NS than 0/17 CO.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

November 30, 2005, 09:56:49 PM
Reply #63

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
not really, i prefer a 0/17 co, and im not even a big fan of co

December 01, 2005, 05:03:29 PM
Reply #64

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Sarcasm :rolleyes:
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

December 01, 2005, 07:22:55 PM
Reply #65

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I prefer 15/17 NS, so I will even out the teams and it'll be awesome.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

December 01, 2005, 09:12:02 PM
Reply #66

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I don't really care either way, people still always ask me to change it to a good map since there's only like 4 total.

I reveal penis I know psychology.

December 01, 2005, 11:05:50 PM
Reply #67

DarkScythe

• Skulk

• View Profile
lol well wouldnt a revision to the maplist change that?
2of8 suggested that, just change the list to only have the "good" maps and u wont ever need to change cuz the server will do it for you lol

personally i hate CO it's like the CS community (which i hated) playing NS, so i'd be up with LB's removing co lol, but people sometimes want a quick co round or two then back to NS
right now the server is 0/17 CO and i wouldnt join.. if it was NS tho i'd consider.. i remember i was with someone else the other day jumping around the server for about an hour waiting for ppl to join but no one did.. maybe it was cuz we were on co all that time? i dunno

December 02, 2005, 12:34:56 AM
Reply #68

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
The problem is the list of good maps is SO SMALL that there wouldn't even really be a rotation, everyone would get bored of the same maps over and over. Shrinking the map rotation will be a temp fix yeah, but what happens after a week of everyone playing the same few maps? I can tell you what, people get sick of them and don't want to play at all. Easiest way to determine what maps to remove is to ask everyone the maps they hate and remove them, then ask them which maps they love, which we will end up with around 4 maps give or take 2.

December 02, 2005, 11:48:33 AM
Reply #69

DarkScythe

• Skulk

• View Profile
the lack of maps is already a given even with a full rotation, because there aren't that many maps to begin with (i mean, look at UT, it's just fragging over and over but they have dozens and dozens of maps, whereas NS ships with a stock of maybe a dozen, and only about half of them play well)
point is, there are some that are so bad people blatantly hate them so those would be candidates to be removed (like altair?) the others can be removed on the cycle but i dont think that prevents people from voting for them does it? true there will only be a list of 4-6 maps if we did some strict removal, but if you left them on, it would basically be the same 4-6 maps ppl ask u to change it to anyway
and yeah, it does get boring after a while of playing the same maps over and over, but we've had basically the same amount of maps since 1.03 (cant say for previous versions, i came in 1.03) and it's managed to survive somewhat. but i don't think we expect people to play for 4 hours straight either.. either way, the voting system will take care of nearly all map-related problems cuz it responds to exactly what the people want, not by percentages, but by numerical values, where highest voted wins.

December 02, 2005, 07:46:25 PM
Reply #70

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
People don't stay long enough on the server experience a full cycle with the new, "small" rotation - 14 maps, minimum of 2.25 hours assuming each game is 15 minutes long (which they aren't), and no combat is played (in which case it'd be even longer). Nobody plays NS for 2.25 hours straight nowadays, the rotation becoming full of stale maps really isn't important.

December 03, 2005, 02:26:45 PM
Reply #71

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
the lack of maps is already a given even with a full rotation, because there aren't that many maps to begin with (i mean, look at UT, it's just fragging over and over but they have dozens and dozens of maps, whereas NS ships with a stock of maybe a dozen, and only about half of them play well)
point is, there are some that are so bad people blatantly hate them so those would be candidates to be removed (like altair?) the others can be removed on the cycle but i dont think that prevents people from voting for them does it? true there will only be a list of 4-6 maps if we did some strict removal, but if you left them on, it would basically be the same 4-6 maps ppl ask u to change it to anyway
and yeah, it does get boring after a while of playing the same maps over and over, but we've had basically the same amount of maps since 1.03 (cant say for previous versions, i came in 1.03) and it's managed to survive somewhat. but i don't think we expect people to play for 4 hours straight either.. either way, the voting system will take care of nearly all map-related problems cuz it responds to exactly what the people want, not by percentages, but by numerical values, where highest voted wins.
[snapback]54456[/snapback]
You get at least 8 maps... 9 if you keep shiva, although it's looking like a server emptier on other servers...  I personally think new eon is keepable if it's kept to the back of the rotation as well, but most people don't like it.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

December 04, 2005, 07:41:24 PM
Reply #72

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Shiva? Gross, you must be including a bunch of other crap maps.

December 05, 2005, 04:45:13 AM
Reply #73

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
ns_metal
ns_caged
ns_lost
ns_nothing
ns_tanith
ns_veil
ns_eclipse
ns_origin

I used 2_of_8's list, but then I realized he included metal in it and was shamed.  So that's 7 maps.  Seriously, all those might not be eclipse ir tanith but they aren't server killers and are all definitely playable (except metal).

December 05, 2005, 09:08:56 AM
Reply #74

aeroripper

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://
I think eon looks good this version :-/

December 05, 2005, 10:37:40 AM
Reply #75

DarkScythe

• Skulk

• View Profile
personally i absolutely love tanith, origin and veil
definitely veil
eclipse and caged are good too but they're sorta "standard" sorta like the kind of "like" u can have for CS' de_dust (that is if u dont hate it)
the rest i don't mind playing

imo altair and eon are too maze-like, and that's what made it unpopular..
eon is ok now, in terms of playability, but it's still kind of complex

December 05, 2005, 04:12:16 PM
Reply #76

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Another patch out??
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

December 05, 2005, 06:34:49 PM
Reply #77

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
ns_metal
ns_caged
ns_lost
ns_nothing
ns_tanith
ns_veil
ns_eclipse
ns_origin

I used 2_of_8's list, but then I realized he included metal in it and was shamed.  So that's 7 maps.  Seriously, all those might not be eclipse ir tanith but they aren't server killers and are all definitely playable (except metal).
[snapback]54476[/snapback]
metal.. heh, funny quarter.

Caged, I've had the best 3 hour games a few months back on caged as an onos.

Lost, are you joking? Lost stopped being good once Greedo stopped working on it, right after he "fixed" the map.

Nothing, I used to love, but now I'd label it mediocre but still pretty, I hate how you can kill the MS vent too.

tanith, hooray for tommyd!

Veil, marines win, seriously I can win commanding this map with one hand.

Eclipse, overplayed to death in the first month, HURRY UP AND DIE ECLIPSE! It's like dust with less blinding textures.

Origin, I've always had fun with cloaking on this map, I'd have to agree on it being good.

December 06, 2005, 12:35:00 AM
Reply #78

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
I agree with you fewl, but lost and nothing still aren't server emptiers for some reason, dispite the fact that you would have to be dumb to admit they aren't some of NS's better maps.

Like I said before, new eon isn't that bad, played a few matches and scrims on it and once you learn the map it isn't that large and it's acctually quite balanced.  Eon used to be crappy map, but I've had alot of fun there the last couple times I've played it anyways.