Author Topic: Wesnoth  (Read 4258 times)

October 22, 2005, 10:19:25 AM
Read 4258 times

george

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://offwheel.gotdns.com
Seeming as its free, extremely difficult, pretty complex, Turn Based Strategy, +some RPG stuff everyone should play it.

seeing as how i havent heard anyone beating the first campaign, i suppose i'll share my adventures thus far.
Heavy Horsemen(1st saved game)...i really didnt like elves...so basicly all my elf units died, but on the third level i got horsemen, which then i jumped on. So my entire army was basicly horsemen. This made Bay of Pearls super easy cause its mostly day time and my hosemen were getting 12-2 attacks. Then on top of being buff they have like 9 movement.

i took the land route and buffed up 3 knights(15-2) , and a white mage. I have 2 branches from this save one i did white mage the other red mage. Then the next level "siege of elfensar" its mostly night time attacks against undead stuff which gets bonus pts for it being dark, but all my horsemen get penalties, so my buff knights actually have 9-2 which gets pwned by the lvl2 dudes :(.

Elven Save (2nd game) i used elvish archers alot more, at the bay of pearl i have 3 marksman, a sorceress(which i wish was a druid) but its much much more difficult going through this level with elves than it was with horsemen.

edited cause "!= RTS"
« Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 01:02:27 PM by george »

October 22, 2005, 10:45:09 AM
Reply #1

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
RTS? I heard it was turn-based.

October 22, 2005, 01:35:18 PM
Reply #2

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Wesnoooooooooth is gravy, I much rather play it multiplayer than the campaigns. Multiplayer you get a chance to get better against people on even grounds who don't rape you in 5 turns which is what happens if you play with the ubergood players!

http://www.wesnoth.org since george forgot a link.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 01:36:12 PM by StUpId_Fo0L »

I reveal penis I know psychology.

October 22, 2005, 06:20:46 PM
Reply #3

george

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
i havent played MP much, but im semi-enjoying SP. i''ve player the 2nd,3rd,4th,5th,6th levels of the first campaign about 20 times each. IF it takes an hour to lvl a unit and it dies then i MUST restart. The ONLY time i continue on is if i have 2 units behind it about to lvl.
I think 30 turns is the average turn limit thus far. i've all but started counting from the beginning of each lvl, Luckily it puts it in for the saved name so thats always a easier way to find out.
After reading the player guides its getting a little easier to comprehend what is needed to win a level.

October 22, 2005, 10:00:19 PM
Reply #4

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Have you speed-beaten any levels? One of them I beat and had like 700 starting gold the next map and just kekeke zerged, it was awesome.

October 22, 2005, 10:02:31 PM
Reply #5

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Thanks a lot George, I couldn't stop playing this game for a few hours :angry:

I haven't played MP yet, but I've tried a few SP campaigns. I'm a complete noob, but I get the feeling that it's still kind of challenging until you really get the hang of the turn-based system. I think the only one I've actually gotten anywhere in would be the first one and the Rise of Wesnoth campaign. I really suck - at one point, I had 3 advanced units (level 2), but I somehow lost them all to those big clobbery trolls.

October 23, 2005, 04:13:54 PM
Reply #6

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Playing MP games really helps to figure everything out, sometimes you get a break and beat someone :D. Although playing MP with people you don't know is just a waste of time, of course they're gonna win.

October 24, 2005, 08:42:36 AM
Reply #7

george

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
As a personal preference i like SP better so far.
Reason 1 being that im not playing against fire, who continually lags out leaving us all to ponder whats taking him forever to make his turn.

MP campaigns would prolly be cool, im up for that.

i've made another save on the first campaign.
Currently in at  Muff Malal's Peninsula, i have 2 knights (1 more about to lvl) 3 markmen, 1 mage about to lvl. Bunch of units that have some XP but not near to lvling.
I really wish i had used a fighter but archers worked great on blackwater port and isle of anduin. After isle of anduin i had a knight and a couple marksman. Planned that level out great i killed the boss on my last turn, failed it the first attempt cause i was not aware of the turn but luckily i had left a unit beside him without attacking with it...then i lost and used the autosave to find the unit with some movement.
The strategy guides talk about leveling Konrad but dang if that isn't difficult...

October 24, 2005, 02:00:19 PM
Reply #8

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Yeah, at first I hated the turn limit and always forgot to follow it, but now it makes a nice challenge.

Fighters are almost necessary. At the least, you should get a fighter up to Captain, which isn't hard if you have a couple meat shields to weaken units for the fighter to finish off. If you don't want to spend time on the fighter, just send Konrad to finish them off. If you play it right, you can easily get Konrad his 2nd level, which grants him leadership, a valuable skill. I mainly try to keep my captain alive instead of using Konrad, so that I can recruit and keep him alive.

I just got to the Crossroads mission, one Paladin, one Knight, one Elvish Rider (I think that's the 2nd level for the Scout), one Marksman, had a Ranger who was about to level in the previous mission, but lost her to an archer skeleton (really have to be more careful where I put my units...), a Druid, a Red Mage, a Captain, a Champion, and a Merman Warrior with the Trident. Everyone else is just a meat shield.

October 24, 2005, 02:48:57 PM
Reply #9

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
MP campaigns would prolly be cool, im up for that.

The pro players have a hard time playing them.

October 24, 2005, 04:52:04 PM
Reply #10

george

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
if it wasnt a challenge it wouldnt be fun.

October 26, 2005, 02:51:39 PM
Reply #11

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Nearly impossible isn't that fun either, especially replaying the same thing over and over and over all day long only to lose every time. I'd rather not tackle it right now considering when we played it we got raped on like the sixth or seventh turn.

October 29, 2005, 02:54:27 PM
Reply #12

Nooblet

• Legacy Admin
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://www.gorgerush.net
I remember that. Man was it hell...
Pissing DHP off one sig at a time.
Breaking the respect rule are we? *rolls up sleeves* - DHP
DHP, I love you.