Author Topic: College  (Read 5303 times)

October 08, 2005, 06:17:03 PM
Read 5303 times

Nuketheplace

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
While, I'm off to college next year.  That means no parents, getting drunk off my ass and more responsibility than I can shake a stick at.  All this stuff sounds fun, but I still have no clue where I want to go.  So, I decided to do what any reasonable person would do in my situation would do - Put my fate in the hands of people that I haven't talked to in months.  

I'm wondering does anyone have any advice for me.  Where do go, what to do or how not to screw up.  Any advice would be appreciated.

October 08, 2005, 07:39:13 PM
Reply #1

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
Can't help you much, I'm in about the same situation.  The only thing I've found, is the state schools are a hell of a lot cheaper then the other ones.

One of the schools I had looked at was 40k a year, can't remember if that included stuff like books, housing, etc or not.

I think I'm going to URI (Univeristy of Rhode Island)... but you really have to decide for yourself.

Check out collegeboard.com, they have this neat little web app that will let you get an idea of places.

October 08, 2005, 10:37:10 PM
Reply #2

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
school is for noobs, go work at burger king

October 08, 2005, 11:41:19 PM
Reply #3

confused!

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.confusionville.net
picking a college is much more than looking at the college board website.

i have to say that visiting is a really good idea, as is knowing what you are looking for.

look for a school that matches up with what you want to do.  

i say read a few issues of the student paper (most of them are online now) and see what you think.  for example : http://www.idsnews.com/subsite/story.php?id=24586, versus : http://www.cavalierdaily.com/comics.asp?pid=1341

get an idea about how life and school will be, look into opportunites the school can give you.  

finally, look into the social scene: are any cool bands playing in town? sports? are you going to be stuck in a 20 man dorm under 6 feet of snow for 3 months? will you only see  corn fields for 9 months a year?

there are other things too, i'm sure. but, i'm tired and i have to be at work in 6 hours so i'm off.
HUEG SIGNATURE IS NUKED

October 09, 2005, 08:04:33 AM
Reply #4

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Can't help with that, I never really got a good grip on the U.S. school system.

October 09, 2005, 11:02:51 AM
Reply #5

aeroripper

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://
drop out... wait for the draft.  

</sarcasm>
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 11:05:31 AM by aeroripper »

October 09, 2005, 12:29:30 PM
Reply #6

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yes, definitely go see the colleges in person. If you like the campus, it can stay on your list. Secondly, go to a college in your state unless you want to pay an assload of money. Lastly, go to a college that has a good program for what you want to go into. Oh, and you need to start looking for scholarships (FastWeb can help). Start doing activities that look good on college apps too (volunteering, etc).
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

October 09, 2005, 01:33:46 PM
Reply #7

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
As far as picking a college goes, it's pretty much been said. Visit campuses of colleges that are on top of your list, which you should pick based on info you can find online and from students, etc. Find out if that college has a good school of ____, depending on what you want.

October 11, 2005, 10:18:45 AM
Reply #8

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
LIke all things in life, It Depends. I'm basically assuming you want to get into some computer type job thingie.

What do you want to do? What schools are an option? Who's footing the bill?

In general, if you interested in a field in which networking with ppl and the higher social strata really matter (business, politics, hrm, actually, most things are like this), then the Ivy League schools are the best way to go.

If you want to go far into academia and/or want a prestigious job at a super duper place (say,  prof at MIT or scientist at NASA), then a highly rated tech school is the key (Carnegie Mellon, MIT, Waterloo, Penn (i think penn, i might be wrong). In general, a degree from a well respected tech school will get the door open for you for your starting job and many many jobs down the road.

If you just wanna be a working schmuck like myself, a standard state school with a solid CompSci program and a good co-op program (co-op programs are a MUST if you be wanting a job or something craz like that after school).
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

October 11, 2005, 10:49:13 AM
Reply #9

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    Nemesis of fun the world over
    • View Profile
If you just wanna be a working schmuck like myself, a standard state school with a solid CompSci program and a good co-op program (co-op programs are a MUST if you be wanting a job or something craz like that after school).
[snapback]53964[/snapback]

Not exactly sure what the non-bolded part means, but the first part is very well said :p  Exactly where I went, and exactly what I became!

Though: personal experience about college.  I picked my school based on three things...
1) it was about an hour away from home (close enough but not too close)
2) beautiful / SMALL campus (class sizes of 30 tops, with your english speaking prof who knew your name) - and no it wasn't private, it was a small Wisconsin state school.
3) nobody I knew from high school went there (I wanted to start a 'new' and escape from all the old clicks / groups / labels and choose my own path)

Hind sight I chose the school for wrong reasons, but the school fit me very well, and to date I am extremely happy with the decision I made to go there.  I love & miss college.

October 11, 2005, 11:29:59 AM
Reply #10

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile

Not exactly sure what the non-bolded part means, but the first part is very well said :p  Exactly where I went, and exactly what I became!
[snapback]53965[/snapback]
It means the college offers you a job in your field while you are going through college. The said job might not be paid, but you get experience. Since so many people are going into computer engineering/science, it helps to have experience to get a job. And a lot of times you can continue working where your co-op was.

October 11, 2005, 12:41:55 PM
Reply #11

Ulatoh

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/user=starvingpoet
Come to OU (thats Oklahoma)

Only a few of our students blow up, statistically, you're safe!
Virus removed.
Your sig pic contained naughty language. Removed. -lolfighter
I never had a sig pic :p
Then where'd that picture come from?
Nanites.

October 12, 2005, 04:21:28 PM
Reply #12

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
ill probably end up at OU or UCO.... one of you pals is from Edmond though i dont remember which. Speak up!

October 16, 2005, 05:42:24 PM
Reply #13

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile

It means the college offers you a job in your field while you are going through college. The said job might not be paid, but you get experience. Since so many people are going into computer engineering/science, it helps to have experience to get a job. And a lot of times you can continue working where your co-op was.
[snapback]53966[/snapback]

Actually I heard it was the exact opposite.. the number of people going into computer science is declining, but the number of jobs is going up.

October 18, 2005, 11:09:23 AM
Reply #14

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile

[snapback]53966[/snapback]

Actually I heard it was the exact opposite.. the number of people going into computer science is declining, but the number of jobs is going up.
[snapback]54029[/snapback]
Hmm, tought I heard otherwise. But I may be pulling that from what I heard a couple of years ago. I do know that there are a lot of people going into it at my college.

October 18, 2005, 03:13:47 PM
Reply #15

george

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://offwheel.gotdns.com
First year go somewhere close to home and cheap...
reasons being:
whereever you go you prolly wont like it at first, so if its cheap it will give you more mobility later on.
You'll prolly change majors a couple times.
Close to home means free laundry/food/place to stay when you get in a fight with your roomie. close as in a few hours away isnt bad.
you mentioned drinking alot, so if you get caught for something and go to jail Dad isnt in another state saying "Son you're on your own"
Crap happens leave yourself an out.

After the first 2 years you'll have a much better idea of what you want and how to get it, if you dont have 20k in student loans, and have kinda kept up with the school work you wont be in horrible shape.
Getting the Basics done with early, even though extremely boring, is prolly the best route to take, cause again you'll prolly change majors a couple times. With your basics outa the way it'll make things easier later on.
All the freshman chicks take the basics first. Taking those nerdy computer courses prolly wont land you nearer to a girl.
Degrees are all that matter, doesnt matter where they came from or how much they cost cause the degree is all you need to get a decent job.
Paying 50K for a good education at a private college to get a degree in Information technology, is the same as going to the good ole community college and paying 8k for the same degree.
Dont think just because you pay more you get more, i have found that its just not the case.
Its good to look for a college with some ROTC courses and programs...you never know when you might just sign up. Having ROTC on your career courses means more $$ if you join up, and alot more benefits if you get into a ROTC program.
Plus the dudes in ROTC usually are the big partiers, game cubes, Xbox and alcohol...

--George
PS Job Markets change quickly its better to base how you want to prepare for life after college, on what you really want to do and not on how quickly you'll get a job or how much you'll make. Some 4th year law student was basicly already a lawyer had a good internship everything paid for...2 months later does some social networking, signs some loans, opens the best pie shop in New York or Chicago...cant remember.  If you like working on computers, thats great but give yourself room to find out if theres something else out there. You can make a living picking up trash and some people are perfectly happy doing that.  When they ask you what major or what program you want to follow go ahead and say whats on your mind, the majority of college students change theirs atleast twice, advisors or counselors may try to help you but its a double edged sword.
I've switched mine a few times :blink:

PSS Did i mention that the Montgomery G I bill pays out 50k? so you do 4 years enlisted in any branch pay $100 a month for your first year then after your 4 years you get out and get $50k (current pay out).
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 05:20:24 PM by george »

October 19, 2005, 06:16:40 AM
Reply #16

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile

[snapback]53967[/snapback]
Now, now.  Let's send him to a school with a good football team.  We owe him that much.

:cool:

October 19, 2005, 07:25:40 AM
Reply #17

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
One side note. If you want to become a big time manager at some hot shot IT firm, even say, IBM, being an officer in the armed services is a HUGE plus.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

October 20, 2005, 05:57:07 PM
Reply #18

Ulatoh

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/user=starvingpoet

[snapback]53967[/snapback]
Now, now.  Let's send him to a school with a good football team.  We owe him that much.

:cool:
[snapback]54061[/snapback]

*me destroys you with laserbeam from navel.
Virus removed.
Your sig pic contained naughty language. Removed. -lolfighter
I never had a sig pic :p
Then where'd that picture come from?
Nanites.