Author Topic: Could Unknown Worlds be any more unprofessional?  (Read 11350 times)

September 28, 2005, 07:32:40 PM
Reply #20

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Sometimes i wish UWE would take at least a few hints from valve and make things more accessible and centered around new people rather than listening to vets the whole time.
[snapback]53772[/snapback]
Valve's track record isn't that great...

I reveal penis I know psychology.

September 28, 2005, 10:33:52 PM
Reply #21

aeroripper

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://
Valve's track record isn't that great...

Well as far as making their games "easier to pickup".  Like with the hints that popup on weapons and such and what things are in the level etc...

Yea nemesis said they'll go back to the "soul" of NS, i doubt it will ever be what it was but we'll hafta see.

September 29, 2005, 01:28:26 AM
Reply #22

Lightning Blue

• Overlord Penguin
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    The Story Never Ends
    • STEAM_0:0:1372
    • View Profile
    • The Lunixmonster
LF: It was a 10 min timer, everything was just like NS almost, simple killing, was fun. I hardly remember but think SIMPLE.
To the stars!

insert witty line here

September 29, 2005, 02:47:45 AM
Reply #23

holy_devil

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
bms post

framerate >>>>>> shiny. sorry. if you can retain shiny while having frameS per second then thats great. a frame per second, or frame per minute, is just horrible. i dont really care about how realistic the bullet holes in the wall behind me(go hl2 hitboxes) are, or how the blood flies off my head when recoil decides to randomly give a headshot. i care about having it playable. hl2 seems to be doing slightly better than when it was released, im having less problems etc, but its still a really heavy engine =\ more possibilities, sure, but you need options to totally destroy the graphics.

rads post

well said rad :) the newer versions, when i started playing, were either "wow bad" or "hey thats fun", but shortly after that its "sup linear gameplay". being able to predict exactly whats going to happen just gets old =\ sometimes i run across the entire map since i know someone is doing whatever over by some hive or something.

aerorippers essay

no kidding. i've been both sides of the issue now, the elitist and the pubber. i was elitist when i played tfc, wanted everything to be a match. not sure why, i didnt even enjoy matches really. guess i just wanted the order, instead of anarchy. as a pubber i want the game playable partially by skill and partially not. certain situations skill should overcome, and some it shouldnt. example is onos vs hmg. "onos can take multiple lolz!" says the onos as it dies to one hmger. can list on and on with complaints, but nothing has ever really been done balance wise for marines. just cost changes. </marine_rant> so yea conclusion is; aim for pubbers. add skill things, but make it possible to play even if you aren't perfect.

and yes, i know im still elitist about everything =\ hard to drop it sometimes. i'm trying, though.

another thing i wanted to touch on is slower gameplay. that is definatly needed. its a lot more fun, although it sounds bad on paper. instagibs are no fun for anyone. the differences between say, heavy and light, should be more noticeable. no bhop or wallstrafe stuff. heavy should retain its disadvantage, lack of speed, and gain armor, immunity to spores. fades and lerks...are entirely too fast. the giant skill divide there, aim vs sensitivity 80(skill is being able to not fly into walls 24/7), is really large. it just seems silly. slow it down, we aren't in a rush here. if it "takes too long to get somewhere", good. shouldnt be a short thing to be able to get to a key location. they need to be fought over, not "we're here, we're turtled, bye bye 4 rts."

Hell, if they had wanted to contiune the constie playtest, they could have set up private forums, protected by A) Apaches built in security, B) only user accounts for consties.  A) denies you access unless you have a valid user name/pass, and is not something that is easy (possibly impossible) to comprimise.

It's annoying, and its killed the mod.  That whole story about a corrupt database? Who doesn't backup the database on a major site before attempting to do a major upgrade.  I'm sure the documents telling how to convert from 1.x to 2.x tell you to back up multiple times.

Even if the database was corrupt, get the forums back up.. even if they are empty.   If you have empty forums and you still have people, they will fill back up.  Forums with lots of posts and no people are pointless.
[snapback]53773[/snapback]

(quoted since its short)

indeed =\ its quite obvious they don't care at all. they just dont want to appear to be abandoning something they've worked on for so long, i guess. "bad pr"! .. hi welcome to the past 13959135 versions of ns.

so what have we learned? playability first, graphics last. also, if you're making the game, you're only so good at it. you're one person. dont listen to the clanners, they rarely know what to change. no offense to them, but i was one(diff mod but same idea really), and it just gets silly if you do all of the changes they want. shouldn't have to rely on rates to be able to live, imho.

disclaimer; i dont mean to switch this into a balance discussion, since i know i probably did somewhere above. i was just using some examples that people may be able to relate to. if you want i can use tfc ones next time. but dont take any of it as my final opinion, theres different situations to everything, and the examples can't apply to everything.

September 29, 2005, 04:52:16 PM
Reply #24

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
add skill things, but make it possible to play even if you aren't perfect.
[snapback]53790[/snapback]
Does CS popularity finally make sense? I mean spray and then people die of headshots keeps the nubs playing, then there's shooting right and always getting a headshot which keeps the hermits coming back.

September 29, 2005, 05:31:45 PM
Reply #25

holy_devil

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
add skill things, but make it possible to play even if you aren't perfect.
[snapback]53790[/snapback]
Does CS popularity finally make sense? I mean spray and then people die of headshots keeps the nubs playing, then there's shooting right and always getting a headshot which keeps the hermits coming back.
[snapback]53792[/snapback]

yea it does now. other mods have my interest now, but yea thats a good point =\ the main problem is the lack of immaturity(in general), i believe, for the community. lot of really childish people, but if you can find a good server i'm sure its fun.

September 29, 2005, 06:03:37 PM
Reply #26

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
the main problem is the lack of immaturity(in general), i believe, for the community.

There is certainly no lack of immaturity in the online community...

I'm begininning to think copious amounts of testosterone and immaturity go hand in hand.

Poor Shina.

:ph34r:
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

October 02, 2005, 06:56:38 PM
Reply #27

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
They put up another post... Once again saying it's close, even though it's been a month since the last post about being close.

One thing...
Another thing we decided to improve during the downtime was our handle/forum naming rules. We've relaxed the rules considerably, and now allow names with any number of capital letters and numbers (though we are removing spaces).

v_v I knew they should've thought through the stupidity of the original changes more.

October 02, 2005, 07:11:44 PM
Reply #28

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yes now I can be FeWlIoOoOoOoO on there!

October 02, 2005, 09:35:32 PM
Reply #29

Reasa

• Skulk

• View Profile
I wonder how many people are going to come back if they ever get the forums back up.

They we're still hurting from the last 3-4 month outage, I can't see more than 100 or so people coming back...if that.

October 02, 2005, 09:37:13 PM
Reply #30

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
NS:Source will be their renewal... or could be, depends.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

October 02, 2005, 09:57:50 PM
Reply #31

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
[snapback]53855[/snapback]
After two more years of development.

October 02, 2005, 10:02:52 PM
Reply #32

aeroripper

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile

agreed, sounds like they want to release a stripped down version to play before adding more stuff incrementally... so maybe we'll see a version by the end of the year hopefully.

October 03, 2005, 04:03:09 AM
Reply #33

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
It was two months the last time, not three or four. After the forums had been down for three weeks this time, people were complaining how they had been gone for months. I wish people wouldn't exaggerate so much.
Either way, it's not like they owe us anything. We haven't actually paid them anything for NS.

October 03, 2005, 04:54:27 AM
Reply #34

Bryan

• Gorge

• View Profile
1987 Keller, Tx spelling bee champ.

October 03, 2005, 09:41:46 AM
Reply #35

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
[snapback]53855[/snapback]
After two more years of development.
[snapback]53857[/snapback]

you also forgot the other 8 months of Beta testing by vets who will complain if the game doesnt fit their "vision" of how a game should be played. And that "vision" being unatmospheric utter crap team competative DM that NS is currently.

October 03, 2005, 10:41:30 AM
Reply #36

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
I'll go back, keep in mind I haven't had a chance to get on NS in a long time, the outtage is a non factor to me

<-- still a fan
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

October 03, 2005, 11:07:39 AM
Reply #37

Torgo

• Lerker

• View Profile
I completely agree with everything rad4christ has said. That is all.
Taking care of the place while the master is away.

October 03, 2005, 11:17:44 AM
Reply #38

Leaderz0rz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I donated.

Bryan
[snapback]53866[/snapback]

we know how awsome the consti program was we have a forum with 2000 pages of concearns and ideas and they never once read any of them to the point it become an off topic forum.

October 03, 2005, 11:50:39 AM
Reply #39

aeroripper

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
you also forgot the other 8 months of Beta testing by vets who will complain if the game doesnt fit their "vision" of how a game should be played. And that "vision" being unatmospheric utter crap team competative DM that NS is currently.

Hit the nail on the head :-/

From what nemesis said their thinking of going back to the "soul" of NS but i doubt it'll go back to what it was when it was released, that is continuing to listen to all the vet players as far as gameplay goes.