Author Topic: Dystopia demo  (Read 9064 times)

September 13, 2005, 08:17:14 PM
Reply #20

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
It seems NS could learn something from the Dystopia Dev team:

Our work doesn't stop here. Over the next week we hope to have an update ready
for release to fix up a couple of bugs which snuck through into the demo version. After this our next biggest priority is to release more maps.
There's no 3 month hiatus, no down website for long periods of time, and lots of communication of what's going on.

More than the loss of newness and excitement of the NS world, I think people are just as tired of the lack of dedication the dev team has had to the community (sorry, tanke), and especially the seemingly poorly organized UWE and Mod team.

I'm just as excited about the DYS team's communication and enthusiasm as I am about enjoying the game.[...]
[snapback]53504[/snapback]
Don't get too eager. Do you really think they're going to write "yeah we're gonna find a hacker to attack our forums to give ourselves a convenient excuse for shutting them down and then we'll leave 'em that way for an arbitrary amount of time?" I doubt it. There was a time when NS was the hot new thing that everybody was talking about and the NS developers (Flayra first and foremost) were worshipped like rockstars. Don't just rashly give your heart away to somebody who might just snap it in half and toss it over their shoulder.

September 14, 2005, 01:10:56 AM
Reply #21

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Dystopia is ok, but largely unbalanced and quite dissapointing in many ways. Too many of the weapons the classes use are mostly unusable in comparison to thier optional counterparts, and alot of the good ideas were implimented in a fairly dissapointing way. Heavy classes kill everything with thier minigun, and are pretty much useless with either other weapon, lights have some decent stopping power between the shotty and cloak/blade, they also have the advantage of being nessicary for hacking. Mid players are largely useless except in the rare occation you need to spam the hell out of a tight doorway with the GL. They really don't counter lights effectively enough, and they get slaugtered by the minigun just as quickly and easily as lights do.

There was a really cool concept behind this mod, and I have to say I really enjoy the assault, objective based, style gameplay. But the weapons and classes are no where NEAR polished up enough as far as balance goes for a demo release (they should have called it a public beta) and I personally find cookie cutter teams a HUGE dissapointment.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

September 14, 2005, 01:32:23 AM
Reply #22

a civilian

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
Heavy classes kill everything with thier minigun, and are pretty much useless with either other weapon,
Minigun reduces mobility so much that you can just snipe them around corners or grenade them.  I always take ion cannon as heavy.

Or maybe I just suck at the minigun.  I've just never done nearly as well with it as with the ion cannon or sniper rifle (yes, I don't find mediums useless either).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 01:34:48 AM by a civilian »

September 14, 2005, 02:15:23 AM
Reply #23

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Heavy classes kill everything with thier minigun, and are pretty much useless with either other weapon,
Minigun reduces mobility so much that you can just snipe them around corners or grenade them.  I always take ion cannon as heavy.

Or maybe I just suck at the minigun.  I've just never done nearly as well with it as with the ion cannon or sniper rifle (yes, I don't find mediums useless either).
[snapback]53523[/snapback]
I didn't mind the sniper although I found the AR overall more powerful...  remove the heavy class from the game and mediums are fine, but 1v1 mediums always seem to get smashed by heavies and on the other end they are usually only able to match if not slightly outdo the damage that lights do.  Given the choice I would rather just light for the extra speed bonus and extra implant slots.

Minigun does slow the game down for the heavy a fair bit, but it allows you to decimate most opponents in a fraction of a second without much concious thought about how precisely you are aiming your crosshair.  Considering the heavy is so much of a tank that it is rarely hard to hit anyways, the lack of a bit of movement speed isn't usually an issue if you pick your battlegrounds well and don't let stuff sneak up on you unexpectedly.  And how can you call the current rocket launcher balanced?

September 14, 2005, 03:09:01 PM
Reply #24

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I have to disagree, I find it much more balanced then swift is letting on. Sure the minigun is godly, but a good nade by a light allows for him to get cloak-owned. I also find the ion cannon to work much better at the beginning of a round, and it's also good if you can aim well(so I take minigun later). The rocket launcher owns hardcore, thank god it takes 14 seconds to reload, duck and cover! Swift you forgot to bitch about the spidermines, I mean you can't even shoot them and you've gotta run from em.

I would also have to say that light seems much better for punks and heavy much better for corps, defenders don't need speed attackers do! I've never even bothered with any other light gun than the shotgun because I usually just katana people, so I can't say much about them. I've never played medium either because heavy and light have always worked out so well for me(lol).

What I have noticed is that the team with the better players always seems to win, just like NS, which is in essence balance! I mean I was playing 10vs10 and most the people were basically "HOW DO I SHOT?" and not very good. One guy on the other team had very good aim and rarely missed with the ion cannon(jumping + strafing = lol netcode, YOU MISS ME!). Myself and this one other guy on punks always got us a win in under 20 minutes once we started working together, on corps they would never get the next spawn up from docks(minigun is awesome as a door defense, tough when you get six stun nades thrown at you though). Of course on corps the guy I teamed up with always went medium.

On punks it doesn't seem to matter as much if everyone dies, the worst that happens is you lose a spawnpoint. On corps if you all die, the punks get the next spawnpoint or they destroy the core. With an hour to play, it's real easy to take your time as punks and take down the corps all at the same time and hack the next spawn. On corps you need your guards and you need your ninjas to hassle their hackers/take back the spawn.

I reveal penis I know psychology.

September 14, 2005, 09:58:52 PM
Reply #25

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
With the minigun you can rowkill a good 3-4 lights and mids before they get enough damage on you to tip the scales.  With the rocket launcher you get your one free kill if you have a compitent shot, then you better hope that the guy was a rambo or else you are bonified screwed because you won't be shooting a heavy weapon again for more then enough time for any weapon to kill you 5 times over.  The ion gun is great as well if you make your shots count, but I find that often it just makes the heavy vulnerable to light players since they get up on you so fast.  I'd much prefer my mini to rape anything that comes within 20 feet of me instantly.

September 14, 2005, 10:21:56 PM
Reply #26

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Aye I'd much rather prefer the minigun myself, but frequently I have taken them out as a cloaked light lololol. RPG has a long cooldown because if used correctly it is way too good, I'm glad less people use it. With the current version of dystopia I actually would like to see a good clan match take place, I am intrigued by the idea of dystopia clans to be honest, I'd rather wait till next version before I went and got myself active. I would really like to see two teams or "pro" players play each other in this game for a few hours, just to see which guns are really the "best."

I reveal penis I know psychology.

September 14, 2005, 10:56:28 PM
Reply #27

a civilian

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
With the minigun you can rowkill a good 3-4 lights and mids before they get enough damage on you to tip the scales.
If the mediums and lights play smart and don't expose themselves to your fire for long, they can just pick at you around corners without taking much damage.

I know that I prefer going against miniguns to going against ion cannons.

With the rocket launcher you get your one free kill if you have a compitent shot, then you better hope that the guy was a rambo or else you are bonified screwed because you won't be shooting a heavy weapon again for more then enough time for any weapon to kill you 5 times over.
The rocket launcher is a support weapon.  Its power is to soften up a group for the rest of the team.  Or just to pick off a threat.  Either way, it requires team support.

The ion gun is great as well if you make your shots count, but I find that often it just makes the heavy vulnerable to light players since they get up on you so fast.  I'd much prefer my mini to rape anything that comes within 20 feet of me instantly.
I don't find it too difficult to fry a light before he closes on me unless he surprises me.  But yes, once they close they are somewhat more difficult to kill.

I find that the ion cannon's main weakness is getting swarmed; due to its low rate of fire it has trouble dealing with multiple targets.  I usually try to stand back from a melee and pick off the enemies that are attacking my teammates.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 11:07:06 PM by a civilian »

September 15, 2005, 02:01:35 AM
Reply #28

Leaderz0rz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
i 98 percent of the time play medium with AR becuase I can get thermal and med plant with increased energy. I can kill cloakers and heal my teammates or myself. I am constantly on top of any server I play on so I dunno where you think mediums are usless =p Head to head i will die to a heavy but if I get the drop on them almost always I can kill them.

September 28, 2005, 06:02:51 PM
Reply #29

JohnTheGarbageman

• Skulk

• View Profile
I think its funny that the one weapon SwiftSpear complains about is the only one thats nearly entirely useless. The Minigun is a glorified shotgun - maybe if you run a sound suppressor its workable, but otherwise you might as well just use the fatman fist.

Minigunners are insanely comftorable to go up against, like civ said. They can't chase, they can barely round a corner to finish a kill and they can't shoot at any range. At best they might hope for you to run into them, which gets them a kill. But "really unaware people" aren't a high priority target to be quite honest.

The next most hilarious thing about the minigun is of course that it stops firing if you aren't touching the ground - so even just getting shot and knocked off the ground a bit can stop your firing.

Whatever, Minigunners are a great source for Leg Booster kills.

September 28, 2005, 07:08:55 PM
Reply #30

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
light with boltgun is winner
you can lob an area effect bolt at medium to extreme range (with the option for manual detonation to boot) and then cloak and close for a bolt or katana to finish

October 04, 2005, 06:32:27 PM
Reply #31

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
I figured out the RL doesn't need to be the current weapon for the RL time to run down... now it's one of my favoriate weapons :p

October 04, 2005, 08:16:36 PM
Reply #32

aeroripper

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://
I really like  the "last kill" screen on the RL :D

You can usually get 3 kills if you get 1 with the rocket, then launch your spider mines and they'll take out the other two with maybe a round from machine pistol.

But by that time their probably already hurt from other players