Author Topic: Mouse problems  (Read 4768 times)

July 26, 2005, 08:56:16 PM
Read 4768 times

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Normally, I have pretty good aim when I'm playing NS (unless I'm completely unfocused), but lately, I'm getting some strange problems with my mouse control, which affects my aim. I'm pretty sure I haven't changed the way I move my mouse - minimal arm movement, based completely in moving the wrist and the mouse with my fingers - but for some reason, I find that I can't aim downwards quickly enough anymore. The same goes for looking up, but it's not as bad. I have no idea why this is, since I haven't had this problem before. Any suggestions? My mousepad, by the way, has a wrist cushion thing on the bottom end, but like I said before, it's never affected my gameplay in the past.

Anyway, if anyone has suggestions, feel free to dispense your wisdom. Until then, I'm taking a break from NS.

EDIT: To further clarify the problem, it's not that I can't aim downwards. I can, but usually, I just start moving slower as I go down, to the point where a skulk can easily defeat me just by running into my feet. I can't snap downwards like I used to.

EDIT2: In fact, it seems like I'm always hitting the wrist thing on the mousepad when I aim down, yet I never manage to look all the way downwards. I don't think I've lowered my sensitivity at all; in fact, I'm pretty sure I raised it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 09:01:36 PM by Manta »

July 26, 2005, 09:09:51 PM
Reply #1

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
well it could be a technical error i think :s if it's really old i guess problems like this could begin to happen, anyway, i think there's also sensitivity for horizontical and vertical looking, it's something followed by pitch or yaw perhaps cl_pitch and cl_yaw i don't know, but i think HD does. Oh and i don't know which means what.

Edit: Anyway i suppose you could try and test it by plugging another mouse in your comp and see if the problem is still there, preferably one of the same type(variable control).
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 09:25:20 PM by Dirty Harry Potter »

this is the .44 Wand, the most powerful wand in the world, so did I fire 5 or 6 fireballs? Now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?

July 26, 2005, 09:36:07 PM
Reply #2

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Well, I'm absolutely sure I changed no variables besides raising sensitivity. This mouse isn't really old and it's a laser. I can't pin down the problem; all I know is that I can't aim downwards as well anymore. I think it's more of a physical problem (carpal tunnel development?), as I keep hitting the mouse on the wrist portion of my mousepad before I can look all the way down. The only reason this confuses me is because I used to be able to look all the way down without this problem.

July 26, 2005, 09:39:46 PM
Reply #3

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
yea well, malevolent admins can change your settings with the right plugins afaik, check them out anyway. or if it only occurs in NS, try to reinstall or alternatively start a fresh config file(fresh as in the whole file, not just reset the controls to default :p) if you cba to do a full reinstall.

this is the .44 Wand, the most powerful wand in the world, so did I fire 5 or 6 fireballs? Now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?

July 26, 2005, 10:00:48 PM
Reply #4

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
All right, I'll try that. It sucks having a fatal weakness.

July 26, 2005, 10:15:11 PM
Reply #5

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
ah there we go, found the pitch and yaw settings: m_pitch and m_yaw mine are set to:

m_pitch "0.022000"
m_yaw "0.022"

those may or may not be change according to sensitivity but i doubt it, anyway they should be the same value as far as i know. They're both found in the config.cfg file btw.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 10:15:38 PM by Dirty Harry Potter »

July 27, 2005, 07:07:51 AM
Reply #6

Goldy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
If you end up needing a new mouse, this one beats all: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16826105122
Best thread ever
"You steal a thousand Post-It notes at 12p, and you've made... a profit."

July 27, 2005, 07:49:51 AM
Reply #7

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
i can vouch for the MX1000 laser mouse :D, really nice mouse.

July 27, 2005, 07:57:29 AM
Reply #8

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I'm using that baby right now (edit: the intellimouse, curse you DHP).  I actually am probably getting a new mouse and soon; this one often has this strange habit of registering a double-click when I've only clicked once (just imagine my dismay in trying to play, oh, Solitaire when I need to click on the deck for my next card and end up clicking twice.  Or, picture me playing  CSS when, after I pull the pin on a grenade, I immediately throw it at the nearest wall wall and blow myself to hell).

'Course, I would just call this simple wear and tear.  I've had the thing for going on three years.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 07:57:55 AM by Dubbilex »

July 27, 2005, 08:04:28 AM
Reply #9

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Bah, my pitch and yaw were already at those same values. I think it's just a physical problem that has developed somehow. I'll just wait a few days before trying again; maybe I unconsciously changed the way I move my mouse (I barely even move my hand).

July 27, 2005, 08:55:44 AM
Reply #10

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Uhh... you might have a trackball, and the vertical scroller thing might be dirty :D
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

July 27, 2005, 11:31:11 AM
Reply #11

Bryan

• Gorge

• View Profile
i can vouch for the MX1000 laser mouse :D, really nice mouse.
[snapback]52513[/snapback]

im with you i liked mine so much i bought one for work as well. fits me hand perfect!

Bryan
1987 Keller, Tx spelling bee champ.

July 27, 2005, 11:52:57 AM
Reply #12

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
No, 2_of_8, I have a laser.

July 28, 2005, 05:56:20 AM
Reply #13

SgtFury

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
It still could be dirt. I think. Im sure I had a hair one time on the bottom of my laser and that then blocks off how much of the surface it sees changing. check it anyway.

August 03, 2005, 03:12:05 PM
Reply #14

a civilian

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
You can increase m_pitch to increase your sensitivity on the vertical axis.

August 03, 2005, 08:51:34 PM
Reply #15

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
That's neat. Maybe I can use it to flapjack as a lerk.  :ph34r: