Author Topic: Get Perpendicular  (Read 2985 times)

August 04, 2005, 05:52:53 PM
Read 2985 times

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    Nemesis of fun the world over
    • View Profile
My husband is working towards his Ph.D. in Physics and one of the things he's working with is how hard drive storage works, thin magnetic films, and nanotechnology stuff.  

Anyways, one of the things that he's testing / developing / researching (not sure exactly what the word is) is changing how bits are stored on a hard drive.  He's mentioned something about perpendicular media (or something) to me before, but one of the people from his lab found this link from Hitachi.  It was just too funny to pass up.  Very cheesy cartoon, but you do learn stuff from it ;)

note: his group collaborates a lot with hitachi and other major companies - they aren't rivals or anything.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 05:53:33 PM by GrayDuck »

August 04, 2005, 06:10:30 PM
Reply #1

[JFF]Kirby

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
yeah i like the cartoon and so on... its old though... perhaps if he has the right connections he can supply the lm regs with 3890823902 tb hdds  ;)

August 05, 2005, 09:12:25 AM
Reply #2

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
Sounds like he's doing some super cool work there GD :)

PURE COOL FLASH ANIMATION!!
*dances*
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 09:17:14 AM by Niteowl »
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

August 05, 2005, 07:18:17 PM
Reply #3

Goldy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
I can envision Hitachi's entire research team spending 6-8 months just to make that cartoon.
Best thread ever
"You steal a thousand Post-It notes at 12p, and you've made... a profit."