Author Topic: new patch!  (Read 4819 times)

July 09, 2005, 05:30:54 PM
Read 4819 times

holy_devil

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
- Implemented a reworked hit registration code that orients itself closer around model shapes.
- Removed the shotgun's falloff to remove a number of associated bugs.
- Profiled and optimized server performance to reduce CPU load. Although results will vary from system to system, we expect many serverops to see up to a 10% increase in average server FPS. This is just the first stage of performance optomisation, expect more in 3.1.

been hearing mixed things, and have mixed feeling about it myself. i seem to be missing mroe, perhaps because my rates/aim are for the old hitboxes ;o trying to play with it until i get it right again. i am however, dying almost instantly as a skulk. if i ever fix my rates hopefully i'll be able to do that to other people ^_^

obviously it'll take some time to notice differences, just wanted to get everyones initial opinions.

so whats everyone elses opinions? harder or easier to hit? die faster?

July 09, 2005, 09:03:24 PM
Reply #1

Tooky

• Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://
- Implemented a reworked hit registration code that orients itself closer around model shapes.
- Removed the shotgun's falloff to remove a number of associated bugs.
- Profiled and optimized server performance to reduce CPU load. Although results will vary from system to system, we expect many serverops to see up to a 10% increase in average server FPS. This is just the first stage of performance optomisation, expect more in 3.1.

been hearing mixed things, and have mixed feeling about it myself. i seem to be missing mroe, perhaps because my rates/aim are for the old hitboxes ;o trying to play with it until i get it right again. i am however, dying almost instantly as a skulk. if i ever fix my rates hopefully i'll be able to do that to other people ^_^

obviously it'll take some time to notice differences, just wanted to get everyones initial opinions.

so whats everyone elses opinions? harder or easier to hit? die faster?
[snapback]52079[/snapback]

Seem to be missing more myself when I played on LM today (I haven't had troubles on NSA, I think.)

July 10, 2005, 07:07:37 AM
Reply #2

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Shotty sniping back?

Joy.

<_<
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

July 10, 2005, 07:42:43 AM
Reply #3

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
I've been missing more, just about on every server :( I don't think I trail or predict the models or anything. I'll have to take some demos and see slow-motion which bullets don't hit and why, perhaps I'm trailing without knowing it.

YAY SHOTTY SNIPING >_<
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

July 10, 2005, 08:54:27 AM
Reply #4

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
So are they adding a scope for the shotgun yet?

July 10, 2005, 09:05:11 AM
Reply #5

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
So are they adding a scope for the shotgun yet?
[snapback]52089[/snapback]
Downloadable :)
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

July 10, 2005, 02:24:24 PM
Reply #6

Tooky

• Gorge

• View Profile
Actually, now that I rethink about it, I was missing more then usual, especially with the shotgun, I ain't getting as many 1 shot kills as much as before :S

July 10, 2005, 05:08:35 PM
Reply #7

tankefugl (in a tent)

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://tankefugl.imagonia.org/
No, the shotgun still has its old range (700 units), but the falloff between 500 and 700 has been removed.

July 11, 2005, 03:43:03 AM
Reply #8

SuicidaL MonkeY

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Hit Reg seems better to me, the hits are hitting right around the spot their supposed to from my sight.

My speed for my ping i can only say is from my newly aquired router.(Which brought my ping down and now it stays steady, finally)

As far as the shotgun issue, yeah their we're a few bad shotgun sniping situations i've had, but in the size of the maps and the general areas where this is happening, is 20 - 30 feet away, which a shotgun should still be able to pack a huge punch that range. I never understood why they had the falloff shotgun, especially when all the maps dont have that much length of area a shotgun would need to loose its power like that, though thats just my opinion.

I think the patch should stay.

July 11, 2005, 11:51:36 PM
Reply #9

zerwalter

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
I think in 3.1, the shottie is going to be full random so those x-hairs won't be any use.

July 12, 2005, 08:23:40 AM
Reply #10

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
I think in 3.1, the shottie is going to be full random so those x-hairs won't be any use.
[snapback]52128[/snapback]
Well good. And they better fix the offset for the default crosshair...

July 28, 2005, 10:39:42 PM
Reply #11

Knappe

• Lerker

• View Profile
I've noticed the same thing as everyone else.  I'm been missing alot more with the shotty, and dieing moreso as a skulk.

August 02, 2005, 08:23:17 AM
Reply #12

Lightning Blue

• Overlord Penguin
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    The Story Never Ends
    • STEAM_0:0:1372
    • View Profile
    • The Lunixmonster
For the record CPU use wasn't really helped at all.
To the stars!

insert witty line here

August 02, 2005, 09:29:17 AM
Reply #13

tankefugl (in a tent)

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://tankefugl.imagonia.org/
That sounds weird, because both NSA and Surftown reported huge server FPS gains on both Linux and Windows.

Do you have any post/pre statistics with cpu usage/server fps according to the number of players? I'd be very interested to have a look at it, to identify where the bottlenecks are.