Author Topic: Terrorism  (Read 16219 times)

July 07, 2005, 07:08:08 AM
Read 16219 times

Goldy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
Read topic.

In Boston, Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney raised the security level on the city's transit system. Romney spokesman Eric Fehrnstrom said the heightened security level is similar to the "Code Orange" used by federal authorities.
It's never comforting to see that in a national news report right before leaving your house to use the Massachusetts transit system. It's far worse for those in London though, of course. FU TERRORISTS!!
Best thread ever
"You steal a thousand Post-It notes at 12p, and you've made... a profit."

July 07, 2005, 07:38:49 AM
Reply #1

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Umm... care to explain what "code orange" is? I'm not really keeping up with these warning levels and all. Maybe we don't have then here in Canada, I'm not sure.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

July 07, 2005, 07:58:56 AM
Reply #2

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
it means the government is scared.

here in lovely america we have levels. its like blue green yellow orange red. generally we're at yellow... i dont think we've ever been blue or red. Nobody really understands them or pays attention to them.. theyre kind of stupid.

GG Tom Ridge.

July 07, 2005, 09:54:21 AM
Reply #3

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Speaking of which, London was attacked by terrorists today.

EDIT: LINK.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 09:59:53 AM by Malevolent »
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

July 07, 2005, 11:00:03 AM
Reply #4

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
:o and i JUST watched that movie "Dirty Bomb" which dealt with a terrorist attack on london...

/me buys defusal kit
-_^

July 07, 2005, 11:22:37 AM
Reply #5

aeroripper

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
The US homeland secuirty department created a color coded "alert level" for risk of terrorist attacks.  It ranges from green - red any time they think there's an elevated risk of an attack it goes to yellow or orange.  Like it'll over be green or blue  o_O.

Basically at red you may be considered the enemy if your not inside your home.  My guess at this level martial law might be enacted in the area and civil rights possibly suspended temporarily... that's if a attack hit a major city.  Somewhat understandable to keep the peace but a precarious position nonetheless.

Since apparantly they think most of america is comprised of 3 year olds that like bright colors and are retarded.  Thanks tom ridge!

OMG ALERT LEVEL ORANGE... WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE! RUN FOR YOU LIVES! THE GOVERNMENT IS TELLING US TO BE SCARED AGAIN!!!!!  :help:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 11:33:59 AM by aeroripper »

July 07, 2005, 12:39:31 PM
Reply #6

Goldy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
If you really care 2_of_8, here's the info on it: http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/20...20020312-5.html

The colors are probably there to emphasize the different levels, which are named. Each level is not actually just a color. Regardless, having an alert level that alters the state of awareness of the authorities is actually a good thing.

But sure, let's all make fun of our country for taking a logical measure (varying states of readiness) to protect us from a threat that's always there. I certainly prefer seeing the extra security today when I use the subway in Boston.

edit: Oh and Mal, that attack was why I made the post. I just assumed everyone would already know about it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 12:46:47 PM by Goldy »
Best thread ever

July 07, 2005, 01:19:07 PM
Reply #7

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
those ****ing son of a bitches. And they are proud of this, its just mind boggling what goes on in a head like theirs... v_v

Just, ridiculous...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 01:20:15 PM by Diablus »

July 07, 2005, 01:48:32 PM
Reply #8

Bryan

• Gorge

• View Profile
If you really care 2_of_8, here's the info on it: http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/20...20020312-5.html

The colors are probably there to emphasize the different levels, which are named. Each level is not actually just a color. Regardless, having an alert level that alters the state of awareness of the authorities is actually a good thing.

But sure, let's all make fun of our country for taking a logical measure (varying states of readiness) to protect us from a threat that's always there. I certainly prefer seeing the extra security today when I use the subway in Boston.

edit: Oh and Mal, that attack was why I made the post. I just assumed everyone would already know about it.
[snapback]51981[/snapback]

YOU LIVE IN BOSTON!!!! GOD, Thats whats wrong with you.  <3
I would rather have decending numbers over colors or both. defcon one is a bit more  scarry than say.... "magenta". for me at least.

Bryan
1987 Keller, Tx spelling bee champ.

July 07, 2005, 01:49:29 PM
Reply #9

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
Basically at red you may be considered the enemy if your not inside your home.  My guess at this level martial law might be enacted in the area and civil rights possibly suspended temporarily... that's if a attack hit a major city.  Somewhat understandable to keep the peace but a precarious position nonetheless.

[snapback]51979[/snapback]

"Those who would sacrifice essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

-Benjamin Franklin
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 01:50:16 PM by LowCrawler »

July 07, 2005, 02:51:00 PM
Reply #10

Goldy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I think aero basically made that up, and I think your quote doesn't apply at all to the passive protection of human beings under the threat of a terrorist attack. Unless, you know, you're REALLY MAD they took away your freedom to go to work in a building that terrorists are planning to blow up that day.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 02:51:26 PM by Goldy »
Best thread ever

July 07, 2005, 03:21:38 PM
Reply #11

Wolfwood

• Skulk

• View Profile
They should just get rid of the green and blue, they're wasting ink when they print out the sheets. -_-

July 07, 2005, 04:33:53 PM
Reply #12

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Its like 1984, production and wastage of goods, noone questions the government because "there's a war on". Seriously. Imagine a boot stamping on a human face, forever.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

July 07, 2005, 04:51:00 PM
Reply #13

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
In my opinion the whole "color alerts" not only let the citizens know that there might be a potential attack and security is "becoming more tight" it also intimidates and may even scare any "terrorist" that might have been planning an attack on the country. Scaring them off thinking that security is so tight, that they would be caught or unable to commence their attack without risk of the plan failing.

This not only buying time for the government to hopefully get a lead and catch this terrorist suspect, but increases the chance of a "delay" in a potential attack on the country. for those who don't understand this simple concept:

Metal Gear Solid. You want to sneak into that room over there but there's two guards, ok simple.
Uh oh, they saw you. Alert goes up to RED and men swarm your area. You hide and wait for YELLOW where theyre all searching, then its GREEN and they all left so security is at a all time low. So then you can go kill those two guards and not worry about 50 million of them swarming you and successfully reach that room
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 04:57:01 PM by Diablus »

July 07, 2005, 08:45:49 PM
Reply #14

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
In my opinion the whole "color alerts" not only let the citizens know that there might be a potential attack and security is "becoming more tight" it also intimidates and may even scare any "terrorist" that might have been planning an attack on the country. Scaring them off thinking that security is so tight, that they would be caught or unable to commence their attack without risk of the plan failing.

This not only buying time for the government to hopefully get a lead and catch this terrorist suspect, but increases the chance of a "delay" in a potential attack on the country. for those who don't understand this simple concept:

Metal Gear Solid. You want to sneak into that room over there but there's two guards, ok simple.
Uh oh, they saw you. Alert goes up to RED and men swarm your area. You hide and wait for YELLOW where theyre all searching, then its GREEN and they all left so security is at a all time low. So then you can go kill those two guards and not worry about 50 million of them swarming you and successfully reach that room
[snapback]52000[/snapback]
crap-ola so all a terrorist has to do is crawl under a desk and we're doomed!!

July 08, 2005, 06:39:49 AM
Reply #15

Bryan

• Gorge

• View Profile
Hea I got, lets say I was I governer and lets say i wanted more funding, and lets say I have a train in or around my community... How might i use this to my advantage....

I'll give you a hint

WOLF!!![/font]

Bryan

July 08, 2005, 10:49:16 AM
Reply #16

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile

[snapback]52000[/snapback]
crap-ola so all a terrorist has to do is crawl under a desk and we're doomed!!
[snapback]52014[/snapback]

Like I said, it was my opinion, and actually them hiding under a desk could represent them hiding and waiting for the countries terror alert to go down as I stated above. So I highly doubt its "crapola"

July 08, 2005, 12:29:13 PM
Reply #17

CryForMe

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
Hea I got, lets say I was I governer and lets say i wanted more funding, and lets say I have a train in or around my community... How might i use this to my advantage....

I'll give you a hint

WOLF!!![/font]

Bryan
[snapback]52024[/snapback]

Just in case you didnt know, this wasnt crying wolf. It's called precautionary measures. The US has obviously been a prime target for terrorists. The british were hit yesterday with no warning (MI5 and scotland yard and british naval intelligence had NO indication that anything was gonna happen) for being our allies. So in cities with highly used mass transit systems, it simply makes sense to raise the warning level. Crying wolf would have been to have raised the warning level if there hadnt been a terrorist attack yesterday. And besides, you dont get more funding just from raising the warning level, or crying wolf as you put it. The only thing you get is beefed up security and wary passengers while its up.
"What do I do first when I comm?"-NSPlayer(2)
"You need to build an RTFM interface."-CFM

July 08, 2005, 12:41:14 PM
Reply #18

Bryan

• Gorge

• View Profile
im not going to argue my point on this (to much) as my gramer skills are laking. However MY opinion is on the lines of NOT rasing the security unless the is evedend of a DIRECT threat. Soneone once told me that the gole of terrorism is to cause a wide spread fear and make people affraid to act diffrently. Why, add fuel to the fire.

Bryan
« Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 12:42:04 PM by Bryan »

July 08, 2005, 12:53:08 PM
Reply #19

Lightning Blue

• Overlord Penguin
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    The Story Never Ends
    • STEAM_0:0:1372
    • View Profile
    • The Lunixmonster
Or all these could simply be government acts to usher in eventual matial law etc.
To the stars!

insert witty line here