Author Topic: War of the Worlds  (Read 11623 times)

July 06, 2005, 01:02:21 PM
Reply #40

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
As for the goofs in the movie, people with a lot of time on their hands have been discussing it endlessly on the IMDB.com forums. Here's an explanation I read:

A) EMP affects devices that are working.
B) A change of battery would enable the video camera (and, yes there was a 35 mm camera AND a video camera)
C) The EMP (or whatever!) fried the starter and the solenoid. Ray tells the mechanic to change the solenoid before replacing the starter before he knows there has been an invasion...when he comes back, he, therefore realizes that that van is the only one in the area that will work.
Yeah, I'm working right now, thus all the posting. :p
[snapback]51918[/snapback]
Yay, closure. It makes sense now.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

July 06, 2005, 05:39:30 PM
Reply #41

aeroripper

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://
The tri-pods couldn't even walk straight. They looked drunk. Of course only Tom Cruise could see this, the soldiers who had been fighting these things for days didnt notice. They dont have that top notch scientologist training.

lol, i also thought it was funny how tom cruise always managed to be at the center of the action.  Oh well its a movie after all :-p

July 06, 2005, 10:18:33 PM
Reply #42

Rath

• Legacy Admin
  • Skulk

• View Profile
The tri-pods couldn't even walk straight. They looked drunk. Of course only Tom Cruise could see this, the soldiers who had been fighting these things for days didnt notice. They dont have that top notch scientologist training.

lol, i also thought it was funny how tom cruise always managed to be at the center of the action.  Oh well its a movie after all :-p
[snapback]51936[/snapback]

Crazy stuff like what was happening to Tom Cruises character(explosions, stealing vehicles, mass crowd hysteria, searching houses, army attacking tripods) was probly happening all over the world.  The only real thing that might not have happened elsewhere also was when he put the grenade into the tripod.
I throw myself upon these OC's in the name of King Bill!!

July 07, 2005, 06:11:25 AM
Reply #43

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
I think if people cant suspend disbelief, they should be barred from cinemas.
[snapback]51928[/snapback]

haha owned you all

July 07, 2005, 06:47:43 AM
Reply #44

Goldy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I think if people cant suspend disbelief, they should be barred from cinemas.
[snapback]51928[/snapback]
haha owned you all
[snapback]51959[/snapback]
There's a pretty big difference between suspending your disbelief of things that are fantastic or impossible.. and ignoring gaping plot holes, things that make no sense logically in the context of the impossible setting.
Best thread ever
"You steal a thousand Post-It notes at 12p, and you've made... a profit."

July 07, 2005, 04:36:25 PM
Reply #45

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Gaping plot hole? The original Matrix had colossal gaping holes in the story, yet it fascinated people far far more than the sequels, where the viewer was spoonfed the plot. In an ideal world the sequels would never have been made, and The Matrix would be truly iconic.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

July 11, 2005, 10:50:59 PM
Reply #46

ziggot

• Skulk

• View Profile
yeah, i really liked the first matrix, all the sequels detracted from it.

July 12, 2005, 07:48:19 AM
Reply #47

Goldy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Every movie has tons of problems, as seen on this website: http://www.nitpickers.com/movies/repositor...t=121593&page=1

However most people don't notice them. It's the glaring, in your face plot hole that cannot be missed which detract from a movie. Something that requires no thought at all.. such as the ships being buried all around the world in WotW, yet no one ever finding one.

I do like that explanation that they were buried very deep. Unfortunately, when the cops said there were no sewer lines etc. down there, it goes against that theory.
Best thread ever

July 12, 2005, 10:08:30 AM
Reply #48

Mr.Bill

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
As for the goofs in the movie, people with a lot of time on their hands have been discussing it endlessly on the IMDB.com forums. Here's an explanation I read:

B) A change of battery would enable the video camera (and, yes there was a 35 mm camera AND a video camera)
C) The EMP (or whatever!) fried the starter and the solenoid. Ray tells the mechanic to change the solenoid before replacing the starter before he knows there has been an invasion...when he comes back, he, therefore realizes that that van is the only one in the area that will work.
[snapback]51932[/snapback]

For the record, If I remember right the emp fries sends a huge electric pulse that kinda melts the wiring... and what kind of logic is, "It only effects the battery in the electric circut!"

but yeah, I still like the movie, it just kinda bugged me that they called it an EMP, where... if they called it something else, NO ONE could defy what they had said afterwards.

Hows my comming? PM!

For the win

July 12, 2005, 11:11:30 AM
Reply #49

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile

[snapback]51932[/snapback]
For the record, If I remember right the emp fries sends a huge electric pulse that kinda melts the wiring... and what kind of logic is, "It only effects the battery in the electric circut!"

but yeah, I still like the movie, it just kinda bugged me that they called it an EMP, where... if they called it something else, NO ONE could defy what they had said afterwards.
[snapback]52132[/snapback]
Noes, Bill. No more closure.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

July 12, 2005, 02:28:35 PM
Reply #50

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Way I figure, it was a movie.  If you wanted realism, then you would have paid ten bucks to see Tom Cruise be an asshole for twenty minutes before he gets vaporized by a giant machine. THE END. HAVE AN AWESOME DAY.

Trust me - it's seriously better this way.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 02:29:29 PM by Dubbilex »

July 12, 2005, 02:51:23 PM
Reply #51

Mr.Bill

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
hahahaha Dubb DOES have a point, Ill be good with that. :-D

Hows my comming? PM!

For the win

July 12, 2005, 10:53:21 PM
Reply #52

EmperorPenguin

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
I agree some of it seems silly, but I just chalked it up to having its roots in a hundred-year old science fiction story.  It can be hard to stay true to original material while making allowances for how completely different things are today.  I think the original book bears another read, to see what was original and what was new.

I will admit I rolled my eyes when they tell you the tripods have been buried for thousands of years or whatever... but then I got over it.
"What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby?  Maybe we'll never know."

July 13, 2005, 07:19:40 AM
Reply #53

Goldy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Really, it's easy to get past the underground thing, when it allows for that mind-blowing emergence-from-the-street scene. That was so cool.  :lol:
Best thread ever

July 14, 2005, 02:52:50 PM
Reply #54

Rath

• Legacy Admin
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Ummm if I remember right it was just the news people calling the emp "Emp." not a scientist or anything.  Now if you take in the time it took between the "lightning" and the machines coming up from the ground, there wouldnt be much time for the news people or anyone else to look into this and see it wasnt actually emp.

And the machines being buried deep makes sense of course, but I think that the one guy said there was nothing down there because he was confused what was making the noise.  Maybe he at first thought a sewer line broke or a water main.  He had been there for what.. 5 minutes thinking about it?
I throw myself upon these OC's in the name of King Bill!!

July 14, 2005, 06:52:28 PM
Reply #55

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
imagine what ebola would do to those bloodvines

July 15, 2005, 09:22:01 PM
Reply #56

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
In case nobody has mentioned it in this thread yet: tentacles.