Author Topic: How i LOATHE large pub servers  (Read 6673 times)

June 23, 2005, 01:24:21 AM
Read 6673 times

aeroripper

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://
LM was empty so i figured i would try comming a large 32 player game on SC Hamptons #1.  So the map was tanith and i kept letting everybody know that we were relocated to west access outside waste.  Then i used waypoints to walk them each step of the way to the spot and kept informing them where we were going.  

So what happens?  Only 7-8 people head there following waypoints and the other
1\2 or more of the team just goes wandering all across the map.  I had guys wandering over to sat, chem, acidic, NONE of them even trying to stop for res along the way (at least make themselves useful if they wander off right?)

Anyways, long story short, we get 2 IPs up in west with a armoy and just get slaughtered all over the map quickly and then people start screaming "BAD COMM!" ... "GOOD COMMING COMMANDER!" etc etc...

It would have worked great had everybody gone to the waypoints i was guiding them to, but with that many players it just seems like everybody just goes and does whatever they want and then blame the commander when everything falls apart.  

That's it just wanted to spread my disgust of some of the players that play NS especially in the larger pub games.

June 23, 2005, 09:31:22 AM
Reply #1

mhawk

• Skulk

• View Profile
The key to comming large games is to not trust your team. Find the 3-4 people you know will listen then have them run in a group building everything. elec, and 2 hives locks work really well, because if your team is this disorganized imagine how bad the aliens are, with slow res and such. I've never seen a large pub alien team rush with more than 5 aliens out of a team of 15-16. If 16 skulks rushed at once the game would be over pretty fast.

edit- I've also seen comms beacon ever 30 seconds until everyone runs together.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 09:32:13 AM by mhawk »

June 23, 2005, 09:47:46 AM
Reply #2

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
I've also seen comms beacon ever 30 seconds until everyone runs together.
[snapback]51396[/snapback]
Yep. I've done this serveral times on NSArmsLab (25 slot one, not 16 slot vets)... used about 60-75 res on the beacons, but I got everyone to walk to my waypoint! They all died at it, but at least they died together :D
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

June 23, 2005, 10:02:20 AM
Reply #3

Asal

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
....there are servers other than LM?
Asal 'The Unforgiving'
Fedaykin, Warrior of the Desert Mouse

"I will live to be immortal...or die trying!"

June 23, 2005, 11:23:26 AM
Reply #4

holy_devil

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
....there are servers other than LM?
[snapback]51399[/snapback]

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||[/size]

(red flash from mib since im too lazy to actually make anything decent)

you saw nothing. there is only lm.

June 23, 2005, 12:34:29 PM
Reply #5

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
too bad LM is empty 95% of the time I go check to play at times of morning, noon and NIGHT <_<

June 23, 2005, 12:47:14 PM
Reply #6

[JFF]Kirby

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
too bad LM is empty 95% of the time I go check to play at times of morning, noon and NIGHT <_<
[snapback]51415[/snapback]

breakfast, lunch, dinner...

June 23, 2005, 03:11:27 PM
Reply #7

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
Let's not bash other servers ok? One bad game does not a bad server make. Just say "i was in a large server once". And yes, pub marines sometimes don't follow orders.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

June 23, 2005, 06:19:02 PM
Reply #8

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Large servers have no swear penalties or filters for a reason...  May the rage be with you.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

June 24, 2005, 05:31:15 AM
Reply #9

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
A few things:
1) Why the **** are you relocating to WAC?
2) On a full 32 player you ahve 16 players on your team, are you saying you need 15 people to pull off a relocate? Jeez, if all 15 people go there then you get 0 map control. In a 32 player the alien team can 8 fades for ****s sake, how the **** are you planning on winning with a relocate to an isolated corridor offering you 1 rt and no map control, as well as not letting your marines spread out early game.
3) I laughed hard it was so stupid.

<3 BenjamiN/Benny/MrBen - Washed up clanner, ex-contributor and forum troll.
#lessthanthree on qnet

June 24, 2005, 08:26:35 AM
Reply #10

Asurada

• Skulk

• View Profile
waffles! waffles! waffles!
>>COMM CAN YOU DROP ME SOME WAFFLES?<<
waffles! waffles! waffles!
<(^o^<)no waffles for Lito!!!(>^o^)>

June 24, 2005, 09:27:39 AM
Reply #11

ebnar

• Skulk

• View Profile
why are you making these threads

June 24, 2005, 09:41:53 AM
Reply #12

UKchaos

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
To vent his flustrations i guess.

Personally i just cry into a pillow.

June 24, 2005, 10:28:32 AM
Reply #13

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
A few things:
2) On a full 32 player you ahve 16 players on your team, are you saying you need 15 people to pull off a relocate? Jeez, if all 15 people go there then you get 0 map control. In a 32 player the alien team can 8 fades for ****s sake, how the **** are you planning on winning with a relocate to an isolated corridor offering you 1 rt and no map control, as well as not letting your marines spread out early game.
[snapback]51450[/snapback]
More tact, please.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

June 24, 2005, 11:07:23 AM
Reply #14

aeroripper

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
A few things:

Its not really one 1 RT since waste and double are just a small ways away its actually pretty conveinent.  And generally you can hold the whole left side of the map with a relocate there.

why are you making these threads

Cause i felt like it, if admins have problems with me posting stuff like this then i'll stop.  If you don't like it nobody's forcing you to reply to it, simple as that.

June 24, 2005, 11:19:08 AM
Reply #15

ebnar

• Skulk

• View Profile
I'm just venting my frustration

June 24, 2005, 12:11:59 PM
Reply #16

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
its a silly thread, yeah... but its not that big of a deal.

let's drop it

June 24, 2005, 11:31:26 PM
Reply #17

mhawk

• Skulk

• View Profile
I personally like aero's posts, it lets me say something so it almost seems like i have a clue what im talking about. =)

July 03, 2005, 07:29:34 PM
Reply #18

TheAdj

• Skulk

• View Profile
You make it seem like people on LM are perfect marines that do exactly what you want them to do.  

I'd be pissed off if the entire team went to one spot, that's poor map control, especially with THAT many people.  The more of the map you cover, you more you can strangle alien resources, which is critical on a larger server.  The only time the entire team should be together is when they're defending a critical location or attacking a critical location.

July 04, 2005, 01:04:35 PM
Reply #19

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Thats true, certainly whenever I manage to get in the chair the only time the whole team is in one spot is when we're toasting a hive.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater