Author Topic: What's Your Playing Style  (Read 11906 times)

January 18, 2004, 04:32:47 PM
Reply #20

Sancho

• Legacy Admin
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
Permagorge is never a good idea.  If you put stuff down and you have 0 res, going skulk and then killing a couple marines not only helps out your team, but gets you extra res you need to build whatever you want.  If I ever see any of you standing around as a gorge "waiting for res", I'll kill your family pet. >:D
Actually it's more cost effective to stay as a gorge and attack marines. If you die, big deal, you come back as a skulk, but without having spent 2 res. If you don't die, you possibly saved yourself 2 res from going skulk, and 10 res from going gorge again.
Ok, maybe it is cost effective, but to me aliens are more about slowing the marine expansion than actually expanding themselves.  You can never get enough skulks harassing the marines and keeping them from buildijng because someone is always sitting waiting for res.  It might be beneficial to have one permagorge to speed up that second hive a bit, but any more than that and you're gonna let the marines walk all over the map.  Thats just my personal opinion.

Also, there is a downside to staying gorge and letting the marines kill you:  You give them res.

January 19, 2004, 02:21:58 AM
Reply #21

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
Actually, a Gorge that stays away from conflicts and doesn't get killed by a Marine gives them les resources than a skulk who constantly rushes to attack marines and dies each time.

January 19, 2004, 12:08:52 PM
Reply #22

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Actually, a Gorge that stays away from conflicts and doesn't get killed by a Marine gives them les resources than a skulk who constantly rushes to attack marines and dies each time.
admin_iruleandgivenoresforkills

Oh wait, i probably shouldn't have listed that...

January 19, 2004, 12:21:32 PM
Reply #23

Path

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
I love skulking and fading, even over onos. I only temp gorge, seeing as how I die nearly the instant a marine looks at me. I'm a decent fade, even in the face of a shotgun (I fear HMGs much more).

While on marines, the shotgun is my weapon of choice. While that close, it's pretty hard to miss.  :p  Other than that though, I'll go play cannon fodder. And if you've seen my other post in the Funniest newbie mistake thread, you'll see why I hate comming, so I never attempt that.
</Path>

Commanding is like playing StarCraft, only the units curse at you when you lose.
Anything is a weapon if you swing it right.

January 19, 2004, 01:09:27 PM
Reply #24

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I'm pretty decent with a fade but it's without a doubt the suckiest most poorly-designed thing in the game. Christ two shotguns without carapace will put it down, it's got that "awesome" metabolose, and a main attack that sucks more then the skulk bite in EVERY POSSIBLE WAY.

January 19, 2004, 06:02:31 PM
Reply #25

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I'm pretty decent with a fade but it's without a doubt the suckiest most poorly-designed thing in the game. Christ two shotguns without carapace will put it down, it's got that "awesome" metabolose, and a main attack that sucks more then the skulk bite in EVERY POSSIBLE WAY.
Except that you can actually see your victims while attacking, you have the hp and regeneration to solo those pesky electrified nodes, and blink right off the bat. Oh and did I forget that a Fade blinking around makes for a most excellent diversion (and an almost impossible to hit one at that) while little dog-like critters chomp ankles?

January 19, 2004, 07:25:55 PM
Reply #26

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I can vouch that it is an excellent and annoying destraction when a civilian does it. He has it down to perfection.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

January 20, 2004, 03:50:03 PM
Reply #27

Lightning Blue

• Overlord Penguin
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    The Story Never Ends
    • STEAM_0:0:1372
    • View Profile
    • The Lunixmonster
I perfer the Regen, Celerity, SOF onos. Adren depending on map and if I know I'll need to do a lot of stomping or base eating.

I have most onosing down to an art, my only problem at present is my DSL which I fear has recently been overloaded in my area and tends to drop off for a few seconds at a time, missing a few regen beats.  :help:

I generally do not upgrade my skulks, except for the occasional regen upgrade out in the field.
To the stars!

insert witty line here

January 20, 2004, 03:58:38 PM
Reply #28

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
just because I didn't mention it... I love silence fades XD

January 20, 2004, 05:33:47 PM
Reply #29

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Thanks for reminding me... I recently went from adren to celerity because I figured I didn't need adren all that much and celerity made it easier to hit marines that were running around. Lately I find that I don't need celerity much either, so maybe it's time to get that good ol' silence out again... silent Fades are scary as heck. :o

January 20, 2004, 05:39:15 PM
Reply #30

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I generally do Celerity / Regen / Cloak onos on maps where we haven't quite won yet. However, if the marines are pretty much bottled up, I do adreneline. Charge + Devour = Pisses marines off ;)

Generally I do regen / celerity fade, but I'll sometimes do carapace if the marines have anything larger then an LMG in the field. I tried silence but the fade footspeed and claw swipe range is so damn SHORT AND SLOW, all the marine has to do is hop around and he's incredibly difficult to kill without him emptying a clip or two into you first.

January 20, 2004, 07:42:04 PM
Reply #31

Isamil

• Onos

• View Profile
I like being a fade.  A lot of people call me a res whore.  I get regen, cel, cloaking or SOF.  I usually do hit and blink away attacks, if I see a group of marines, I blink in, try to take out 1, leave and come back later.  I'm a fairly carfull fade, I don't like having my HP go under 200(Note:Fade max HP=250), unless its just a slow going under 200.  Beacuse if you leave by the time you get under 200 with people shooting you, you're normally 100 or so when you get out of sight.
      Other stuff, I'm really bad with shotguns, I like HMGs(Ok who doesn't).  I know how to comm, but I rarly win.(Won my first game beacuse of a good team who really didn't need a comm, and a sucky alien team).  Never won a game since.  I jump in the CC if no one else does, and we're all standing around at the beginning with no IPs.  I typicly switch if someone asks me to.

January 21, 2004, 02:58:07 AM
Reply #32

a civilian

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
As a marine, I'm probably best with the jetpack.  I prefer it over heavy armor in most situations.  Also, I have no preference between the HMG and shotgun.

On the alien team, I'm best at the Skulk and Fade.

As a Skulk at first hive, I rarely take upgrades.  At this stage I'm usually saving for a hive, three upgrade chambers, or Fade.  As a Skulk at second hive, whether I take upgrades or not depends largely on how well the marine team is doing.  If they are doing well, I will usually save for Fade; if not I will often remain Skulk and upgrade myself, usually with regeneration and silence.

I do not hit and run with the Fade.  Against a single marine, I simply blink in and kill him, and against groups, I use blink to avoid their bullets while slowly wearing them away with swipes.  My preferred upgrades for the Fade are regeneration and adrenaline.  Regeneration I choose because it is the most versatile of defense upgrades.  Except in particularly hostile conditions, it allows one to remain in combat indefinitely.  I find it very effective against even the heaviest of weapons, weapons against which others would normally choose carapace.  Adrenaline I choose because it allows for much more liberal use of blink.  Footspeed is irrelevent.  I never chase a dodging marine on foot unless I'm in no hurry to kill him; instead, I simply blink-swipe him.

I virtually never Lerk, preferring instead to save for more costly things.  I also rarely Onos, doing so only if my team is in need of one.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 02:59:34 AM by a civilian »

January 21, 2004, 03:49:59 AM
Reply #33

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
point of silence is that they're not hopping about because they don't know you're there ^~

Once killed a 3 man team of marines and it was only the last guy who even realised I was there... albiet too late to do anything other than fire a shot before I gutted him like a fish =P
I've also killed lone heavies by following them whacking them while they were being attacked by something minor like a offence chamber... they usually work it out eventually but not always XD

I just like being able to blink into the marine base unnoticed =3
My top one of that was blinking right over to the armoury while 5 marines were humping.  They scattered as the 2nd dropped but I got 4 of them and an onos who finally got the nerve to enter the base because I was running about slashing madly got the 5th and the commander who popped out to stop us =D

January 21, 2004, 08:27:35 AM
Reply #34

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
As noted by others with the same problem, I can be insanely good, or amazingly bad, depending on the weather (as far as I can tell). :angry:

As aliens, I'm not one to whore res. I'll generally cap a node, drop a hive, or drop chambers. Then, if the game is progressing well, I'll whore for higher lifeforms. I almost never get upgrades as a skulk, instead I save the res. I like gorging, and blocking high traffic areas, or hanging out in gorge gangs. If not a gorge, I'll evolve into whatever is needed, except a fade. I suck as a fade, worst than any other player in existance. I lerk only when there's immenent danger to a hive, and I can umbra it, or when an Onos really needs the backup. As onos, i'm almost always regen+celerity+Scent of Fear. However, if the marines are heavily fortified, a redeeming onos focusing on structures is pretty effective.

As marines, I try to follow Commander's orders, although I to tend to rambo if the rest of the team is doing well.  :ph34r:  I usually seek out alien nodes, and gorges. My favorite thing to do is harass alien teams in one location while my team expands elsewhere. I don't like bigger guns or tech, unless I'm with a great team. I'd rather be the one to be devoured in LA and have the HA follow up and kill it. I'm not that great with a shottie, nor GL (agains skulks at least), but I'm pretty good with HMG and LMG. If the team is not doing great, and we're really being challenged, I try my best to obey the comm's every order.
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

January 22, 2004, 02:08:09 PM
Reply #35

Keyser59

• Gorge

• View Profile
With a fade I almost always get regen, and the movement chamber upgrade usually depends on the situation.

Pub game: celerity.
Clan scrim or match: silence.
3 Hives are up or soon to be up: adrenaline.

On pub games I get celerity because I can usually dodge fire pretty easily and I can live for pretty much the whole game if I play smart. I get silence in a clan games because the marines usually have a shotgun wandering around and they rarely are in groups of less than 2. The skill is to a point where celerity won't help me dodge so catching marines unaware is almost necessary. Adrenaline is a no-brainer at 3 hives.

January 22, 2004, 04:39:05 PM
Reply #36

DumbMarine

• Lerker

• View Profile
but it's without a doubt the suckiest most poorly-designed thing in the game.

Amen. The only plus side is it lives longer. That and it's game over once a civilian goes fade.

Well, I guess unlike most people here, I prefer Cara/Adren over everything. It's not that I haven't tried regen or celerity, but usually the situation is usually a team of marines across a long tunnel. Without adren, personally I end up blinking next to them and killing one before running out of energy, being unable to blink out, and being overkilled with 200 LMG rounds. And being an impatient person, regen just takes too long to keep me alive in battle. (I can't blink-hop, its a personal problem, and by the time two regen ticks happen, either all the marines are dead or I'm doomed anyway)

As a fade, the weapon platform doesn't matter as much as the armor. A shotgunner, HMG, LMG, and GL all die at the same speed. Getting the first hit in is easy, usually it becomes more difficult to continue hitting someone 6... 7... 8 times.

Silenced Fades aren't as dangerous as Cloaked Fades  :p

January 22, 2004, 05:58:43 PM
Reply #37

Isamil

• Onos

• View Profile
But would about cloaked AND silenced fades.  The slient assassian, just plain walking behind some marines, killing one, and blinking off without any of them noticing.

January 22, 2004, 06:21:02 PM
Reply #38

a civilian

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
I don't see the point of cloaking on a Fade.  Why go to the trouble of ambushing a marine using cloaking when you can just blink in suddenly and, in effect, ambush him?  Why bother using cloak to escape when you can just as easily blink away?  As I see it, cloaking is overshadowed by blink in practically every respect.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 07:40:15 PM by a civilian »

January 22, 2004, 07:30:29 PM
Reply #39

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
The only problem I have with the fade is running out of adren.. I always run out at the least oppurtune time