Author Topic: I hate hollywood  (Read 9492 times)

May 12, 2005, 06:09:48 PM
Reply #20

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
the absolute worst book to movie was fahernheit 451. It was a British movie done back in the 60's with basically every important plot element left out... the murder of captain Beatty.... Clarisse dying... Mildred's drug overdose... everything.

And this was a suckass job of a book to begin with!

and shall i even MENTION I, Robot?

May 12, 2005, 06:20:25 PM
Reply #21

bacon_flaps

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
CFM, have you even seen Simon Birch?  Maybe there's some Bizzaro version of the movie that you saw, but the kid didn't die in an alley, he died of hypothermia or something similar after saving kids from a bus that went into a lake.  Yeah, it's still lame, but damn man, atleast be accurate when you criticize something.
signature

May 12, 2005, 07:51:47 PM
Reply #22

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Thats cool that you have decided on an alternative life style, i support you dubb
[snapback]48418[/snapback]
he was a blacksmith :(

May 12, 2005, 08:18:23 PM
Reply #23

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
CFM, have you even seen Simon Birch?  Maybe there's some Bizzaro version of the movie that you saw, but the kid didn't die in an alley, he died of hypothermia or something similar after saving kids from a bus that went into a lake.  Yeah, it's still lame, but damn man, atleast be accurate when you criticize something.
[snapback]48421[/snapback]
yeah when i read your post this was what i was thinking of... itty bitty white kid who wears glasses... it was a touching movie.

i cried.

May 12, 2005, 08:40:47 PM
Reply #24

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
CFM, have you even seen Simon Birch?  Maybe there's some Bizzaro version of the movie that you saw, but the kid didn't die in an alley, he died of hypothermia or something similar after saving kids from a bus that went into a lake.  Yeah, it's still lame, but damn man, atleast be accurate when you criticize something.
[snapback]48421[/snapback]
yeah when i read your post this was what i was thinking of... itty bitty white kid who wears glasses... it was a touching movie.

i cried.
[snapback]48426[/snapback]

best part was when he decks out the mom with the baseball and kills her.

Though I felt bad laughing my arse off becuase she totally rocked! :(

May 12, 2005, 09:48:15 PM
Reply #25

Bryan

• Gorge

• View Profile
second to Hitchhickers guide of course. im most pissed about the horred things thay did to the "born identy" books.

Bryan
1987 Keller, Tx spelling bee champ.

May 13, 2005, 07:17:06 AM
Reply #26

@gentOrange

• Fade

• View Profile
Gah!

People act as though movies were so much better when they were younger. But really was there ever a surplus of non stop decent movies? You may think those lame 80s movies are funny now because they're so corny but at the time it was just more crap. They had just as much garbage as us they just didn't have the internet to go on and complain.

No Flames Please.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 09:23:28 AM by GrayDuck »
Sig size too big, 22kb is the max size, yours is 28kb - DHP

May 13, 2005, 09:33:28 AM
Reply #27

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
ON the reverse, what movies do you think stayed true?

I think the whole LOTR saga was very well done, even tho some parts were left out and some altered. I think Tolkein would have been pleased.

I'm VERY anxious about Narnia coming out this winter. My two favorite Christian Fiction writers done by the same effects house... great decade so far!
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

May 13, 2005, 10:26:11 AM
Reply #28

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I'm looking forward to the Narnia movie also. I haven't read the books in some time though.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

May 13, 2005, 10:38:34 AM
Reply #29

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
and shall i even MENTION I, Robot?
[snapback]48420[/snapback]

I, Robot was actually totally NOT based on the book. It was originally called Hard-wired, iirc, but the producer, or someone, had rights to the I, Robot title, so they slapped it on, put in a few Asimovian references, and BAM!

And yes, movies are supposed to be worse than the books. It's a given, isn't it?

And dear buddha on a BBQ, the movie Battlefield Earth is quite possibly the worse movie i've EVER seen. I still get angry just thinking about it!
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

May 13, 2005, 11:12:36 AM
Reply #30

Guenhwyvar

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
The LOTR series and The Princess Bride.  

I think those were four of the best movies from books.  Although I suspect that with The Princess Bride, the movie came first, then he wrote the book.  So then it won't count eh?

**edited  because it made more sense to say four as opposed to two.  So I can't count.  :p
« Last Edit: May 15, 2005, 03:35:17 AM by Guenhwyvar »

May 13, 2005, 11:55:52 AM
Reply #31

Mac

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://www.gamerankings.com
I could easily name at least a hundred other movies which have followed the same pattern, but i wont bore you all. However, there have been some reasonably good adaptations, as evidenced by most of the movies adapted from John Grisham's novels (The Firm, The Pelican Brief, A Time To Kill, etc.)...but those are few and far between.
Yeah, hollywood sucks.
[snapback]48352[/snapback]
Those books were made into movies? :blink: John Grisham is my favorite author.. I've read The Pelican Brief, and I'm reading The Client right now. Both awesome reads.

"Why aren't you wearing your eyebrows??"
Everyday you're here is torture to my heart; reminding me of how you'll never be mine..
..I'm going to miss this feeling.

May 13, 2005, 12:33:14 PM
Reply #32

Goldy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Anyone who really expects a movie to be true to a book is going to be let down every time. However, many times movies from books are awesome on their own. Jurassic Park is a good example.

Oh, and I'm totally looking forward to the new War of the Worlds. Of course it won't be anything at all like the original book (which was awesome), but I have high expecations of it as an original movie.
Best thread ever
"You steal a thousand Post-It notes at 12p, and you've made... a profit."

May 13, 2005, 12:51:38 PM
Reply #33

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
The LOTR series and The Princess Bride. 

I think those were two of the best movies from books.  Although I suspect that with The Princess Bride, the movie came first, then he wrote the book.  So then it won't count eh?
[snapback]48461[/snapback]
The Princess Bride is actually a REALLY old book. The one you can buy in stores is just one  that has been edited by Goldman to take out all the boring bits, and was done well before the movie.

EDIT: holy crap, am I EVER so wrong. The whole idea that it's an abridgement is apparently part of some inside joke?! *shrugs* Anyhoo, book was published in 72, movie, in the 80's.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

May 13, 2005, 01:01:27 PM
Reply #34

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
movies are considered *bad* to most because in a book you can have 500+ pages to work with and no time limit, Movies don't have infinite amount of time and a budget to fit every. little. thing. possible. and in some cases have to twist scenes as a 50/50 chance of the audience liking it or hating it or just to cut down time. Also keep in mind that the movies are from the directors eyes NOT your own, so obviously everyone ahs their own take on books because it lets their minds run freely.

So quit bashing movies based on how they didnt follow the storyline or what *you* percieved as a situation in your own mind of a certain scene or setting.

Though you can keep bashing movies on their ****ty quality. Just like Battlefield Earth, that movie was just plain stupid.

Edit: I also need to add in Uwe Boll's movies.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 01:03:28 PM by Diablus »

May 13, 2005, 10:56:29 PM
Reply #35

Guenhwyvar

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
That's what I thought about the "good parts book" being a joke, cos every search I did for S. Morgenstern came up empty.  But you're saying that the book did actually come first, so surely that would count as a book that made into a good movie?

May 14, 2005, 10:38:23 AM
Reply #36

Goldy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Ahh, he's written a lot of great movies: http://imdb.com/name/nm0001279/
Best thread ever
"You steal a thousand Post-It notes at 12p, and you've made... a profit."

May 15, 2005, 12:35:35 AM
Reply #37

ziggot

• Skulk

• View Profile
okay, i changed my mind. Hollywood aint so bad.

I just saw Crash and it was pretty good, kinda depressing but tht Cheadle dude can act.

May 15, 2005, 05:11:47 AM
Reply #38

Scuzball

• Lerker

• View Profile
Yea. They're bastards all right.

I'm kinda creeped out actually. Almost all of the movies I was going to mention in one light or another... have been spoken for. And then I said, "But what about Jurassic Park?" and scrolled down... yea. Kinda creepy.
Gothic dance!

May 15, 2005, 07:15:20 PM
Reply #39

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Narnia? NARNIA??? OMG!

And The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy isn't ruined because of the movie. The books are still every bit as brilliant as they used to be.