Author Topic: LowCrawler's works of carpentry  (Read 6384 times)

May 05, 2005, 03:13:20 PM
Reply #20

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
i actually only spent about 15 minutes on the penguins... i added the second one a few days ago after talking with mini-ep.

aaand i was gonna say something else lemme read back through a moment...

oh yeah, anarki about the sanding.. most of our competition projects, including that swing, are sanded so that they feel exactly like glass.

May 07, 2005, 08:57:01 PM
Reply #21

EmperorPenguin

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
You're Mini-EP's favourite slotter Low.  Then again, you're the only slotter he knows.  But hey, I'm sure he'll appreciate the gesture.
"What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby?  Maybe we'll never know."

May 07, 2005, 10:20:15 PM
Reply #22

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
wahooo!!!

"Mini Pengwin" (sic) is pretty damned awesome himself.

someday ill send it... someday...

May 07, 2005, 10:57:25 PM
Reply #23

aeroripper

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
I wish i knew how to handle wood

May 08, 2005, 11:44:01 AM
Reply #24

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
[snapback]48095[/snapback]
Usually you just grab it unless there's some secret I don't know. :p

Take woodshop.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

May 08, 2005, 12:08:37 PM
Reply #25

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile

HahahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahem. Sorry. Found that really funny.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

May 08, 2005, 12:21:58 PM
Reply #26

X-S-Z

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Thats damn cool! Love the penguins.  <3

I have to build a table capable of holding over a ton of weight for an aquarium I want to set up, maybe you could give me some pointers when I start? :help:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 12:22:30 PM by X-S-Z »

May 08, 2005, 12:58:11 PM
Reply #27

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
literally, over a ton?

HMmmmMMMMM..........

id say use oak, use 4x4's... support it with probably a metal frame.....

I think its do-able

May 09, 2005, 02:48:08 PM
Reply #28

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
literally, over a ton?

HMmmmMMMMM..........

I think its do-able
[snapback]48144[/snapback]
You underestimate wood.  Some of my old skate ramps from back in the day have survived cars driving over them and what not.

Two by Twos could handle it with some really fancy archiexture technique... 2by4s should be fine unless you do something seriously wrong, like make the table tilted.  3by3-4by4 would go no problem.

[edit]oh, don't buy the cheap wood you can get for the table legs or base.  One of the main differences between different quality woods is the ammount of weight they can support at a maximum.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 02:49:35 PM by SwiftSpear »
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

May 09, 2005, 04:40:31 PM
Reply #29

pardzh

• Skulk

• View Profile

May 09, 2005, 05:26:50 PM
Reply #30

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
literally, over a ton?

HMmmmMMMMM..........

I think its do-able
[snapback]48144[/snapback]
You underestimate wood.  Some of my old skate ramps from back in the day have survived cars driving over them and what not.

Two by Twos could handle it with some really fancy archiexture technique... 2by4s should be fine unless you do something seriously wrong, like make the table tilted.  3by3-4by4 would go no problem.

[edit]oh, don't buy the cheap wood you can get for the table legs or base.  One of the main differences between different quality woods is the ammount of weight they can support at a maximum.
[snapback]48215[/snapback]

youre right but you have to consider the shape of the ramp vs a table, plus the fact that when a car hits something, its quite a bit different than setting a car down on it for an extended period of time... a slanted ramp is much more likely to sustain the weight, as its only weak at its highest point, at the bottom its not much different from having it directly on the pavement... where the weight will only be applied for a second or two. This is entirely different from a square table that the force will be exterted on for weeks at a time, directly downward rather than with forward momentum to add on to it. 2x2's may be able to do it, but its better safe than sorry right?

I was mowing just now and i got a pretty crazy idea... you might be able to somehow incorporate springs into the design, at the parts where table meets leg... not enough to make the thing bouncy, but more as shock absorbers so that the force can be gradually exerted onto the table. also use wood with a straight grain for the legs. Wood is more stable when force is applied in the direction of the grain. Id suggest 5/8" plywood for the top, maybe even two sheets stacked. You certainly wouldnt want to spend weeks making strong legs only to have the thing crack the middle of the table. I have seen some extremely heavy things placed on wooden tables though... a whole ton or more, i dont think I can say I've seen honestly... but I'm almost certain that it could  be done.

Boy sure seems like a really cool project though