Author Topic: Just A Friendly 'heads Up'  (Read 8261 times)

January 13, 2004, 08:27:20 PM
Read 8261 times

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
If the teams are severely unbalanced, and there's no one in the readyroom, I'll give you generally two to three minutes to elect someone, or yourself, to change to the other team. I don't have TOO much of a problem with 1 player discrepencies. But when one team is one player away from auto-concention (Known as 'F4ing')...

I do not like having unbalanced teams.

I like it even less when I have to go out of my way to bring down the console and do it because you're team is too damn lazy, selfish, and concieded to tell someone to change. Especially when there's non-regulars in light armor in your spawn queue.

I'll be more flexible if, say, your whole team is occupied. I'm not going to yank your onos in the middle of a hive attack. That is lame and you may call me on it. In fact that's borderline abuse. Furthermore, that scenario only applies if the situation is temporary. But if you have 6 skulks, one onos, and one gorge, and no one even CARES that the marines are outnumbered by 3 players...

I AM MEAN

If you're a marine, there's a really really high chance I'll chose (intentionally) one of your HAs to join the other team. You do not want me to do that.

If you're an alien, and you don't want to see one of your Fades or Onos dissapear, you better get your ass to the other team.

Thus declared Uranium, and it was good. I want to have as much fun as everyone else. I don't want to ruin your fun just to ruin the game. But playing with 9 vs 6 is lame and I will NOT stand for it. You'll have PLENTY of time for someone to change, or at least let me know you're going to have someone change in the very very near future. "I'll change in a second," is fine. I don't expect you to drop everything and change right that very second. But if you don't acknowledge me, if you don't say ANYTHING at ALL, that tells me you don't care and you're ignoring an admin.

EDIT: For Crack, I yanked one of your two HAs earlier today. I'm sure it totally pissed you off. You have every right to be pissed off. But I know damn well that the rest of your team was in Light Armor, several were in the spawn queue, and I gave you plenty of warning.

Questions? Comments? Death Threats?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 09:32:24 PM by Uranium - 235 »

January 13, 2004, 09:32:19 PM
Reply #1

CommunistWithAGun

• Skulk

• View Profile
Got himself banned.

January 13, 2004, 09:35:53 PM
Reply #2

CommunistWithAGun

• Skulk

• View Profile

If you're an alien, and you don't want to see one of your Fades or Onos dissapear, you better get your ass to the other team.

lol "If you don't want your teams offense to get busted, you better change teams so they can bust you"
Got himself banned.

January 13, 2004, 09:37:25 PM
Reply #3

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile

lol "If you don't want your teams offense to get busted, you better change teams so they can bust you"
More or less ;) I found that just saying 'plz change teams' wasn't cutting it, so I've found the only way to get people to listen was to raise the stakes.

January 13, 2004, 09:44:24 PM
Reply #4

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
put that in the motd or consgreet (shortened ofcourse) and life will be good :p
« Last Edit: January 13, 2004, 09:44:33 PM by Black Mage »

January 13, 2004, 11:34:52 PM
Reply #5

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
put that in the motd or consgreet (shortened ofcourse) and life will be good :p
Nah, I'm making a little script pack for myself with admin_csays that list a couple of my personal rules.

January 14, 2004, 01:25:54 AM
Reply #6

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Although your style is not the same as mine, I can see what you mean and I couldn't care less. If not even ONE of them wants to balance out the teams, tough luck if they lose equipment or lifeforms.

January 14, 2004, 03:21:48 AM
Reply #7

Geminosity

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
The funny thing is on another server way back, I had to change team 8 times (asking kindly if someone else would do it first) in the course of 3 matches just to keep the teams even and when I started complaining that everyone else was too selfish to do it instead of me one jerk started arguing with me and eventually one of the admins slapped me.  I told the mod where to shove it and left never to return, I would've reported him too if I'd known how to ^^;

January 14, 2004, 06:33:39 AM
Reply #8

Ulatoh

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/user=starvingpoet
switched teams 3 times in the last few days to even things... It never ceases to amase me, it seems like its allways in the start-game time that i t happens and noone has any valuable amounts of res or gear anyway
Virus removed.
Your sig pic contained naughty language. Removed. -lolfighter
I never had a sig pic :p
Then where'd that picture come from?
Nanites.

January 14, 2004, 07:43:43 AM
Reply #9

LaYkE

• Lerker

• View Profile
    • http://www.layke.net
Thats fair nuff.

However I find this the single most annoying thing in a game ::

Marines and Aliens start with say 6 v 6... half way through the game marines start to kick ass, Alien team begins to see players drop. Your left with 6 v 3 game is pretty much over (even though it's half way though). I personally would hate to have to switch to the alien team simply because people got annoyed that it wasn't going their way and dropped. It ruins my excellent (throughly enjoyable) teamplay game to join a team that doesn't . The way I see it is after a certain point in game there is no point in switching as it only means that the marines can finish there game rather then it ending prematurly.

On that point I respect the server rules and if asked to switch I will. I just think after a certain point in the game it's not worth your while.

Questions? Comments? Death Threats?

I kill joo until you die from eet.

January 14, 2004, 08:11:09 AM
Reply #10

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
This is why we need a friendly fire mode that we can leave on all the time. So I can switch teams in late game and just chew the hive down myself. <_< >_>

Yeah, I agree with layke, I'm happy to switch teams if I'm not going to hurt my team too bad by doing it (large lifeform, HA, busy holding off skulks from PG, etc.) but I hate it when the Jackass N00bs start leaving and unbalancing the teams in mid game just because one out of two hives got taken down, or somesuch. It's then that I know that when I do switch, I'll probably be facing the one hive, two chambers dropped, and one RT situation. Bleh on that.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

January 14, 2004, 10:01:40 AM
Reply #11

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
yeah, when the heavy train has just downed one of their two hives, and all they have is skulks. and suddenly it's 8v5, i usually won't even the teams. the game is over.  i'm not going to ask those who worked hard for their victory to take a very crushing and painful loss since the players they BEAT couldn't take it. that's just wrong, imho.

but even game, uneven teams? i'll ask first, bug reserves next, then prolly go myself.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

January 14, 2004, 11:09:46 AM
Reply #12

crack

• Skulk

• View Profile
First i didnt com the whole game, I joined the CC at 3 hives.

We saved up for HAs finally we get 2, we were trying to fight off the aliens then 1 HA gets switched. Next time ask which one goes because you cant give us back the 40 Res you wasted and we only had 1 rt.

None of the marines even knew the teams were uneven we were all too busy.

again.

ASK WHICH ONE GOES
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 11:09:55 AM by crack »

January 14, 2004, 11:59:55 AM
Reply #13

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
seems like something that would work if more than one switch is needed

:)
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

January 14, 2004, 12:07:02 PM
Reply #14

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
This is still a much better option than the auto team-balancing plugins. Those things are just a pain, and everyone ignores them until suddenly they find themself shot back into the RR. They seem to be pretty much random about who they take too. I'd much rather have vindictive admins doing the switching rather than a stupid bot, but then, I just like abuse. ; )

January 15, 2004, 12:25:40 PM
Reply #15

Ulatoh

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.xanga.com/user=starvingpoet
I dont understand why they all leave, Skulk HA kills are what you get props for... and you cnat kill HA till the train come!

*chuga chuga chuga chuga* WOOH WOOOH!!!!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 12:26:56 PM by Ulatoh »
Virus removed.
Your sig pic contained naughty language. Removed. -lolfighter
I never had a sig pic :p
Then where'd that picture come from?
Nanites.

January 15, 2004, 02:53:12 PM
Reply #16

Isamil

• Onos

• View Profile
Ok.  I normally switch if the teams are uneven, unless I have HA or JP, or I'm doing something semi important.(Sometimes I don't notice but....)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 02:54:03 PM by Isamil »

January 15, 2004, 03:36:03 PM
Reply #17

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
I'll try to help out and keep it even in most situations. But if I switch to Marines to find an already extensive and unnecessary turret farm, and the comm dropping more turrets and not enough res towers (basically a newbie comm, like the one's we've been getting recently), I'd rather just go spec or leave the server.

I like and dislike the 'take-the-most-useful-person' from one side and switch em thing, cause a lot of times if a team is winning, and that team has a number of the newbies we've been getting recently who don't care to try to even the teams, it just seems unfair. Especially considering they're usually the ones who do the least for the team.

Although theres still the possibility that if the most useful person decides to switch, and the team they've left behind is the team of newbies, they could have some fun smashing heads and getting some aggression out of their system and into the people they're annoyed with... >:D

January 15, 2004, 03:47:16 PM
Reply #18

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Your post reminds me of a game last night, Grimm.

Aliens had all three hives, we had only 2 or 3 RTs on the marine side and were at the point where we were getting lamed into base while the onos charged in. Our comm left. (NUBCRACKER) And so did one or two others. I didn't feel like giving up yet, so I gave the mating call of the desperate (OMG TEEMS OMG) and niteowl answered the call. Sancho jumped in the comm chair. We pressed back on them.

Niteowl made it to furnace hive (map was origin) and set up a PG. We phased in. We smashed the hive. We hoofed it to biodome from MS. Check another hive off the list. The aliens caught up with us. I slipped into the vent while the rest of the team was crushed. Made it to ventilation hive, put up another PG. Another hive shot down. But bio was back up! No prob, niteowl is there and he sets up another PG for us. Shot down another hive... OMG PING OF DEATH. Marines do happy dance.

Wait... ping stopped! I'm already in the vent heading for ventilation. Building hive and one gorge hiding in a pile of DCs. Niteowl catches up to me, together we shoot down the hive. Then I died trying to kill that stupid gorge! Niteowl avenged me and it was GG! So much thanks to niteowl for being willing to switch when his team was sure to win, and sancho for comming when our team was sure to lose. And this is what happens to nubbage when they won't switch teams!

January 15, 2004, 05:17:04 PM
Reply #19

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
I'll suggest a possible solution.  A plugin.
One that does not take effect until at least 2 players use a command within a minute (or less) of each other.
What this plugin does, is check if the teams are off by more then 1, if they are, and there are people in the readyroom, it sends them to the team.. (Possibly even non-admin spectators)
If there still are not enough people, it f4's some of the bigger team, and switches them to the smaller team.

There would also be a command for the admins that does the same thing.

I guess I'm gonna take a look at the differences between AMX scripting and AdminMod.. if they aren't that different, I can make this plugin for you

Does this seem like a good idea to everyone?

This also means if you want to have largly unbalanced teams, you can, and the plugin won't yank you back.