Author Topic: More lengthy explanation  (Read 7473 times)

April 13, 2005, 01:50:08 PM
Read 7473 times

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
So, why is it i make 3 or 4 Ips, spam shotties and welders and hmgs and bacons galore when the game is over? It's just instinct. Give the marines a few morale victories taking down some oni. And I don't _think_ i've ever said "JUST END IT NOW PLEASE". Because  I'm almost never willing to just lay down and let the aliens walk all over us. I might ask "what's the lull for?" or "Why aren't you attacking?". Because, gamewise, I really have no idea why. They have all the rts, we haven't been able to beat them back at all, and there is a 3 - 4 minute lull.

So yeah, that's my explanation for 'drawing it out' which I see more as 'giving the marines some fun after getting creamed'. It's not like I make massive farm.

On that side note, unless you (as in anyone reading this) are willing to drop your weapons and not shoot anything that comes in, try not to say "Just end it now please"; because 9/10, the same marines who say that are fighting tooth and nail to stay in the game.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 02:40:15 PM by Niteowl »
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

April 13, 2005, 02:32:53 PM
Reply #1

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Haha thats soo true, happens all the time

Marines: "END THE GAME FFS ALREADY"
Aliens : Um we would if each and every one of you didnt have level 3 HMGS and SHOTGUNS to not even give us a chance to rush in

Marines: "OMG U NUBS QUIT DRAWING IT OUT!!" *Continues to kill another 15 Onos, 5 Fades and a few lerks while still complaining that Aliens aren't ending it"
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 02:33:25 PM by Diablus »

April 13, 2005, 02:49:12 PM
Reply #2

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
If it's not over within a minute when you know you've lost, you almost have to say, "Just end it!" Come on. How big of a threat could level 3 HMGs/shotguns be? :p

The aliens could end it in a minute every game if they would all just go onos at once, and then go in at once (3 hives too with all chambers).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 02:49:42 PM by Malevolent »
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

April 13, 2005, 07:11:54 PM
Reply #3

Plaguebearer

• Gorge

• View Profile
What drives me up a wall is when the rines are trapped in MS, and all the aliens do is blink in/swipe kill/blink out  and/or  charge in/devour/run away   ....over and over for 10 minutes.

It makes me REALLY want to abuse my admin, you know?
God, I'm old.

April 13, 2005, 07:33:07 PM
Reply #4

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Well, I for one don't like dragging out games that are clearly already lost by one side. And by clearly, I mean: Marines having 1 node, aliens - 3 hives, all other nodes, tons of fades/onos, etc. Simple, Marines have no chance for a comeback. I usually expect such games to end with the Aliens just rushing the Marine base within 3-5 minutes after the last major event (failed PG rush, etc).
Too often, Aliens try to end the game, yet the Marines resist. Why? I fail to see the excitement in shooting a couple of bullets from LMG, dying, respawning, shooting some more bullets, humping the armoury a bit, shooting a couple of bullets again, maybe getting devoured.
And so on, for ~5-10 minutes... that really isn't what Natural Selection is about.

Of course, if most of the Marines are having fun while doing this - fine, let them have it. But I won't be one of them :)
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

April 13, 2005, 07:50:19 PM
Reply #5

Cheez

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/v41/tehcheez/
Funny how the only maps i ever see this happen on lately are Tanith, Veil and sometimes eclipse. I'm starting to think it's more in the MS design than the game itself. Just a crazy theory.

Big emphasis on Tanith though...that MS is BUILT TO TURTLE  <3

April 13, 2005, 08:08:07 PM
Reply #6

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Eh, kind of. The problem with any attempt to turtle on tanith is that fades can just camp the hall, acidrocking the place. I'm not sure what the best turtle spot is, but any good turtle spot has to have convoluted exits so acid can't get in as easily.

April 13, 2005, 08:39:55 PM
Reply #7

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yeah you have a point Cheez. Those are easy to defend, especially ns_tanith. The two entrances are small and the marines can be on an elevated platform in the back. Same goes for ns_eclipse but not really being elevated.

Marines really do end up doing it on most maps, it is just easier on those three.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

April 13, 2005, 09:16:02 PM
Reply #8

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Caged has horrible wall/ceiling geometry, usually causing a death of an escaping alien.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

April 14, 2005, 07:52:11 AM
Reply #9

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
Yeah ns_caged is probaly the worst for aliens to try ending the game in.

April 14, 2005, 11:30:36 AM
Reply #10

Mac

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://www.gamerankings.com
Caged has horrible wall/ceiling geometry, usually causing a death of an escaping alien.
[snapback]46160[/snapback]
Don't know what map it was, but I was running up a wall going for a vent, and along the entire wall just beneath the vent is a ledge that sticks out, making it difficult to just run up and in, and i got shot down while getting past that ledge. I still suck a lot as aliens, but still.

Also, as for dragging games out when a loss is obvious, I think it's better to at least try to stay alive, rather than f4'ing or something.

"Why aren't you wearing your eyebrows??"
Everyday you're here is torture to my heart; reminding me of how you'll never be mine..
..I'm going to miss this feeling.

April 14, 2005, 11:43:53 AM
Reply #11

Iconoclast

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
Recycle the arms lab, that way if you kill an onos: it's really a moral victory while also speeding up the end of the game.  v_v
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 11:49:19 AM by Iconoclast »

April 14, 2005, 06:55:10 PM
Reply #12

Goldy

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
There is no point for a comm to spam ip's after the game became 100% hopeless.  Aliens tend to kill all marines before attacking any structures. If the marines are spawning over and over it's really going to draw out the game, and serve no purpose but to produce a ton of dead and annoyed players.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 06:55:22 PM by Goldy »
Best thread ever
"You steal a thousand Post-It notes at 12p, and you've made... a profit."

April 14, 2005, 07:10:36 PM
Reply #13

X-S-Z

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Recycle the arms lab, that way if you kill an onos: it's really a moral victory while also speeding up the end of the game.  v_v
[snapback]46188[/snapback]

Quoted for emphasis.

April 14, 2005, 07:12:23 PM
Reply #14

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
There is no point for a comm to spam ip's after the game became 100% hopeless. Aliens tend to kill all marines before attacking any structures. If the marines are spawning over and over it's really going to draw out the game, and serve no purpose but to produce a ton of dead and annoyed players.
[snapback]46211[/snapback]

I can safely say that this is one of the problems; it's incredibly easy to take out the IP/obs if all the marines are busy on some fade that's dancing around in the middle of the room.
Aliens should go for the vital structures first, after all marines are dead... I don't see why they would attack the armoury/proto lab/even arms lab before killing IP/obs.

April 14, 2005, 07:24:47 PM
Reply #15

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
I really see a lack of gorges attacking the base at the endgame. Occasionally, I'll see one ballsy gorge run in by himself, bilebombing the base, only to get shot in the face. You only need one gorge. Just defend him well.

Unfortunately, all the aliens think it's a good idea to go fade and blink in, get a kill, blink out.

April 14, 2005, 07:42:01 PM
Reply #16

Dead_Meat

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Ussually when i see the aliens dragging the eng out its usually just one or two aliens attacking the base (usually a fade and skulk) then later another will join maybe an onos who runs in for the devour then out. then finally thier joined by others to finish the rines off. Now when marines kill a hive they always rush in with everyone screaming hive first. Aliens dont seem to touch a structure unless every marine is dead.

April 14, 2005, 09:34:38 PM
Reply #17

Reckless

• Lerker

• View Profile
I really see a lack of gorges attacking the base at the endgame. Occasionally, I'll see one ballsy gorge run in by himself, bilebombing the base, only to get shot in the face. You only need one gorge. Just defend him well.

Unfortunately, all the aliens think it's a good idea to go fade and blink in, get a kill, blink out.
[snapback]46215[/snapback]

I love bilebombing things! It's my one true gorge-calling.

I don't know why...

April 15, 2005, 01:09:16 PM
Reply #18

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Running into a room with an OC bind is also fun.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

April 15, 2005, 02:16:05 PM
Reply #19

Doobie Dan

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
What drives me up a wall is when the rines are trapped in MS, and all the aliens do is blink in/swipe kill/blink out  and/or  charge in/devour/run away   ....over and over for 10 minutes.

It makes me REALLY want to abuse my admin, you know?
[snapback]46152[/snapback]
If the marines are turtling with multiple HMGs, that's usually all you can do without dying.  Sometimes you die even trying to do a hit and run.

I mean, if the marines are actually fighting back, they really don't have much of a right to complain that the game hasn't ended yet.
God, it's so creamy.
[snapback]33239[/snapback]