Author Topic: Rates and ffp  (Read 3511 times)

April 11, 2005, 11:16:40 AM
Read 3511 times

SlickWill

• Skulk

• View Profile
I have had problems recently after I tinkered with my rates getting everything to the optimum setting.  What do I need to do?  How do I get that choke thingie to come up and when it is, what is going to be my goal to lower for optimum playing ability.  Thanks guys.

April 11, 2005, 12:39:50 PM
Reply #1

confused!

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://www.confusionville.net
well i assume taht by  the choke thingie you mean is net_graph. it coves in varisou flavors i find the most  helpfull to be net_graph 3. as it contains nice numbers instead of a graph as in net graph 2.

Another thing i have found usefull is the command cl_showerror 1. it will show the number of units differnce between what your client  displayed  and where the server  actually  thinks an object/player is. Please note: this will cover the kill megsaages and only display as you attack in most cases, though some times it simply won't display.

Edit:

also i just saw that my fps suck:(
now i feel sad
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 02:00:20 PM by confused! »
HUEG SIGNATURE IS NUKED

April 11, 2005, 08:20:18 PM
Reply #2

SlickWill

• Skulk

• View Profile
Now that stuff at the bottom of the page, the in and out, do I want to set my rates to maximize those?

April 11, 2005, 08:46:56 PM
Reply #3

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Now that stuff at the bottom of the page, the in and out, do I want to set my rates to maximize those?
[snapback]46032[/snapback]

Actually, I think that the only way to raise those is to get a better internet connection.

Although I'm probably wrong :)
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

April 11, 2005, 08:46:58 PM
Reply #4

pojo

• Lerker

• View Profile
    • http://www.pojo.us
[snapback]46032[/snapback]

The rates that you want to optimize in the console are:
cl_cmdrate - (number of updates to send to server?)
cl_updaterate - (number of updates to receive from server?)
cl_rate - number of bytes per second to send from client to server

the trick is to get cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterate as high as you can on your connection before it starts to choke (as you can see with net_graph 3). It also helps to check your choke when there is a lot of action going on. Just go up in increments of 10 until you see that.

It makes a big difference. It allows you to send and receive more updates to the server (which means that skulk you're aiming at is really there instead of 5 feet behind you about to chew you up).

-pojo
A bad analogy is like a leaky screwdriver.

April 12, 2005, 11:23:29 AM
Reply #5

Iconoclast

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
Also, *not sure if this is true* that the parsing in HL sometimes drops an extra zero in regards to your rates.

I've seen several people talk about this and I'm assuming thats why they set 'cl_cmdrate to 101 instead of 100' and rate to 24999 instead of 25000.

April 14, 2005, 07:53:53 AM
Reply #6

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
For some reason my cl_cmdrate when to 15 and same with cl_updaterate. I never even tinkered with it.

April 14, 2005, 10:00:17 AM
Reply #7

holy_devil

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
for pings <100, i'd suggest starting with

cl_updaterate 90

cl_cmdrate 101

cl_rate 20000

rate 20000

ex_interp 0 // auto sets itself to minimum value.

and lower updaterate until your choke stays steady at 0 when staring straight into the ground doing nothing. it WILL go up a bit during fights, especially ones with voice comm going. lower it if its a big problem lag-wise though.

those should help you hit a lot more than you normally do. i played with it for a long time, and after finally hitting shotgun shots at point blank i knew i got it right :p

April 14, 2005, 10:29:41 AM
Reply #8

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
I'd love it if someone could explain what some of those values mean on net_graph. As I understand it, "choke" is how many data fragments are waiting to be transferred, as they can't "fit" in the current batch that is being sent. "Loss" is how many fragments are dropped, due to waiting in like for too often? I'm not sure...

HD, btw, where have you been? I haven't seen you on the server in ages :mellow:
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

April 14, 2005, 11:14:03 AM
Reply #9

Dead_Meat

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
how do you keep those frome changing everytime you start the game?

April 14, 2005, 11:45:12 AM
Reply #10

Iconoclast

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
how do you keep those frome changing everytime you start the game?
[snapback]46185[/snapback]

put them in your userconfig.cfg file

April 14, 2005, 11:50:18 AM
Reply #11

Mac

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://www.gamerankings.com
I've never touched any rates or anything like that. I'm afraid the game will crap out if I try messing with something, and then I won't be able to fix it.

"Why aren't you wearing your eyebrows??"
Everyday you're here is torture to my heart; reminding me of how you'll never be mine..
..I'm going to miss this feeling.

April 14, 2005, 03:04:54 PM
Reply #12

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
I've never touched any rates or anything like that. I'm afraid the game will crap out if I try messing with something, and then I won't be able to fix it.
[snapback]46190[/snapback]

Back up config.cfg, autoexec.cfg, and userconfig.cfg. That's it, any changes you make via console or in those files can be easily reversed.
:rolleyes:

April 15, 2005, 03:24:50 PM
Reply #13

holy_devil

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
for pings <100, i'd suggest starting with

cl_updaterate 90

cl_cmdrate 101

cl_rate 20000

rate 20000

ex_interp 0 // auto sets itself to minimum value.

and lower updaterate until your choke stays steady at 0 when staring straight into the ground doing nothing. it WILL go up a bit during fights, especially ones with voice comm going. lower it if its a big problem lag-wise though.

those should help you hit a lot more than you normally do. i played with it for a long time, and after finally hitting shotgun shots at point blank i knew i got it right :p
[snapback]46178[/snapback]

wanted to note that i did interp zero with my rates, model movement got laggy. so minimum interp i suggest is .02, but its really strange. just play with it, .05ish is nice.