Author Topic: 3.02 Release  (Read 6838 times)

April 04, 2005, 03:06:15 PM
Reply #20

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Having played a few games, PG is still risky if there's 3-4 aliens on the other side, which is fair.

SC first is still SC first, people still use the elec strat so not sure how truly effective it is. Would need a more balanced set of teams.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

April 04, 2005, 06:07:33 PM
Reply #21

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Lol or you can bait the onos to go on the pg then get someone to telefrag it.

Ugh, it was waaaay worse back in b5. You didn't even have to bait the onos; all you had to do was knife him on top of the PG and get someone to phase. It happened to me at least three times.

And I agree that these changes are good. The PG delay was kind of lame.

April 04, 2005, 06:34:02 PM
Reply #22

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yeah I played a game today where rines were still slaughtered after going through a PG.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

April 04, 2005, 06:54:08 PM
Reply #23

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Yeah I played a game today where rines were still slaughtered after going through a PG.
[snapback]45421[/snapback]

Good :) Beaconing is supposed to weak the Marine taem for those few seconds, and give the Aliens a chance to destroy the phase gate.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

April 04, 2005, 08:01:12 PM
Reply #24

SlickWill

• Skulk

• View Profile
TBH, I would prefer that the rines be able to have the old phase ablility back.  It was way better that way.  I mean the rines still had to bacon and run to pg, which is a few seconds.  Now bacon is a death sentence.  Shouldn' t quite be like that.  Once again, would it hurt the aliens that much.  I mean the win percentage might be 85% instead of 87%  :p

edt: speling eror
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 08:01:42 PM by SlickWill »

April 04, 2005, 08:07:28 PM
Reply #25

Scuzball

• Lerker

• View Profile
I like it. A mini boost to the marines is just what we needed. A good marine team could still beat a bad alien team... it was just much harder than it should be. Maybe this will fix things up.

On the topic of PG's, my favorite trick as an alien only works if you have help. There's almost no way that 2 or 3 skulks can take down a PG before the rines pour through, even if it's totally undefended. A competent comm has already beaconed, and the rines are just grabbing 1 or 2 rounds of ammo before flooding into your hive.

So while your friends frantically hit the phase, you climb up the wall. PG's are almost always near a wall or some structure. I hold down bite and aim at the center space above the PG, where the marines will be materializing. Sometimes the comm drops a PG out in the open, in which case I actually jump in place while constantly biting.

This way, as fast as they come through, you bite them at head level, usually even while you're actually a little higher. If they knew skulks were there, 99% of the time they'll be aiming down as they phase. Phasing is disorenting in itself, but getting whacked for 70 damage on top of it makes for easy frags. Not to mention, the PG model itself seems to give some cover at ground level (aka skulk level) for anyone teleporting through.

The last time I did this, it was a phasegate built by a JP'er inside Powersilo hive. I racked up eight frags in a row on W3/A2/JP rines by preemtivley biting everyone who came through while a pair of other skulks hit the PG itself. The disorentation and ambush bite really throw them off, and in that case, saved us the game.
Gothic dance!

April 04, 2005, 08:37:39 PM
Reply #26

pardzh

• Skulk

• View Profile
They could cut the phase time even more, but add back the ability for Aliens to use phases.

April 05, 2005, 12:22:13 AM
Reply #27

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Beaconing is supposed to weak the Marine taem for those few seconds, and give the Aliens a chance to destroy the phase gate.
[snapback]45426[/snapback]

TBH, I would prefer that the rines be able to have the old phase ablility back.  It was way better that way.  I mean the rines still had to bacon and run to pg, which is a few seconds.  Now bacon is a death sentence.
[snapback]45438[/snapback]

>_> Actually, beacon's intended purpose is an emergency panic button when marine start is under attack. It was never meant to be an alternate means of uberfast wavespawning for rushes. <_<

April 05, 2005, 08:22:01 AM
Reply #28

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
Are you sure about that ABS? The first beacon only brought the dead rines to MS, leaving the live ones out in the field. Seems like a sorta wave spawn boosting thingy. In later versions the beacon brought back EVERYONE, in which case it seems to be ALSo to save base. Hrm.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

April 05, 2005, 11:50:10 AM
Reply #29

Sydney Carton

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://etotheipi.blogspot.com
Beaconing is supposed to weak the Marine taem for those few seconds, and give the Aliens a chance to destroy the phase gate.
[snapback]45426[/snapback]

TBH, I would prefer that the rines be able to have the old phase ablility back.  It was way better that way.  I mean the rines still had to bacon and run to pg, which is a few seconds.  Now bacon is a death sentence.
[snapback]45438[/snapback]

>_> Actually, beacon's intended purpose is an emergency panic button when marine start is under attack. It was never meant to be an alternate means of uberfast wavespawning for rushes. <_<
[snapback]45474[/snapback]

Yeah, but it's a really neat strategy that shouldn't be screwed with, in my mind. The first time I saw it (with ye olde bant cornmando that shall not be named), I thought it was one of the coolest things I had ever seen.

If they systematically find ways to remove functionality beyond its intended use by the developers, the game ceases to become fun. It was one of the reasons I was sad to see structure blocking go, although I understand it's game breaking to lose an onos this way.
-------------------------------------
'Tis a far coarser topology that I refine...