Author Topic: Pros and Cons of Tongue Piercing  (Read 11065 times)

March 29, 2005, 10:04:03 AM
Read 11065 times

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    Nemesis of fun the world over
    • View Profile
It’s something I’ve always wanted to do – and I’ve decided if at the ripe old age of 25 if I’m still THAT curious about it, why the hell not just go do it.  If I hate it I can just take it out – nothing lost but the $50 and the painful recovery days after it gets done, right?

So I’m all but committed to it – but I’m waiting for after my cruise since I guess you need the uber big starter bar in for a month after it gets done (My cruise is mid April.)  

I have one specific question:  I (for the life of me) can’t think of what it’s called, my dentist pointed out to me that I have a ‘condition’ for lack of a better word that only 10% of the population has.  I guess the best way to describe it is under my tongue I have two big bumps (bones?)  They stick up to about even with the bottom of my ‘lower’ teeth (so my tongue still can lay flat).  And between the ‘bumps’ is umm well that flap of skin thingie that attaches your tongue and a ‘hole’? that’s just a hair too small for me to poke my index finger into.  I thought everyone’s mouth was the same as mine – and I was fascinated to find out otherwise.  I got to the dentist in a week or two I’ll find out exactly what it’s called (it doesn’t mean anything – it’s just how I am).  Anyways – would a tongue piercing not fit properly into my mouth because of this?

What are your thoughts about that and the whole tongue piercing in general?

March 29, 2005, 10:42:24 AM
Reply #1

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
Don't do it. I think they just linked lip piercing to increase occurance of mouth cancer or something nasty like that.

Get a tatoo or something.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

March 29, 2005, 10:54:32 AM
Reply #2

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
[snapback]44710[/snapback]

Been there, done that ;)

March 29, 2005, 11:09:35 AM
Reply #3

Vinegar Ninja

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• The one and only!

• Personal Text
    Now with 100% less angst!
    • STEAM_0:0:15737634
    • View Profile
why not ask either the piercer or a doctor?
asking us is like going to the village idiots convention and asking them questions.
that is unless someone here ACTUALLY knows what they are talking about, which somehow I doubt.
but seriously now, just go ask a dentist, doctor or the piercer or someone.

March 29, 2005, 11:40:28 AM
Reply #4

Iconoclast

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
why not ask either the piercer or a doctor?
asking us is like going to the village idiots convention and asking them questions.
that is unless someone here ACTUALLY knows what they are talking about, which somehow I doubt.
but seriously now, just go ask a dentist, doctor or the piercer or someone.
[snapback]44717[/snapback]

I've heard of cases involving brain tumors.

-saw some poster about it in one of my health classes, didnt look at it in depth but just do some research on your own.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 11:41:14 AM by Iconoclast »

March 29, 2005, 12:47:25 PM
Reply #5

holy_devil

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
theres a lot of concern related to metals and piercings as it is, even spray deodorants(aluminum cans), so best bet is so stick away from impaling yourself with metal for the time being, until further research proves it wrong or right(rather be safe) i forget which problem/disease has this exactly, i think alzheimers(sp), is caused due to some sort of left over metals collecting in the brain. i may be wrong, thats off the top of my head.

but as you can see from above and what i can just pull out of my head randomly, there are things to be concerned with, so at the very least do a bunch of research first, don't want to lose my favorite duck  :(

March 29, 2005, 12:48:17 PM
Reply #6

pardzh

• Skulk

• View Profile
Don't do it. I think they just linked lip piercing to increase occurance of mouth cancer or something nasty like that.

[snapback]44710[/snapback]

Meh, nowadays everything is linked to cancer.

That's not the reason I wouldn't get my tongue pierced. I had a cousin who had hers done and it got infected. You probably don't wanna hear how that ended up, cause it was pretty friggin gross.

March 29, 2005, 01:26:38 PM
Reply #7

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
you don't have to worry about brain tumours, it's brain abcessess that can occur from infections of tounge rings. If your doing that at least do it at a clean facility yada yada yada

Random Fact: belly button piercings actually increase the risk of STD's by 30%
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

March 29, 2005, 01:31:14 PM
Reply #8

JHunz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
Yeah, the main thing to watch out for is infection from what I've heard.  You have to watch what you eat (and drink) for a couple weeks.

And I doubt extremely that belly button piercings have any effect on STDs.  It's far more likely that the type of people who get them are simply somewhat more likely to contract STDs.
"We have plenty of youth, how about a fountain of smart?"

March 29, 2005, 01:51:34 PM
Reply #9

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I wouldn't do it, simply because whenever you talk to someone it's going to hit your teeth so much it's going to sound like a flipping riverdance going on behind you.

If you really want to have some metal jammed through your flesh, take up fencing and don't wear any equipment.

March 29, 2005, 02:40:06 PM
Reply #10

Mac

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://www.gamerankings.com
dont do it. tattoo's I see as expressing something about yourself maybe, but piercings are a lot more dangerous and they don't represent anything like tattoos usually do.. just a piece of metal stabbed through a body part. I see no pro's about it.

most piercings you get for others to see or whatever.. are you gonna be hanging your tongue out everywhere for people to see this metal bar impaling your tongue? The only way people will really know is by the way your speech will be jacked, and that's all you'll gain from it as far as I can see; messed up speech, oh and the pain.. and don't forget the possibility of infection like everyone else said. ^_^

..can someone point out the plus side to this? I can't think of anything..
« Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 02:46:43 PM by Mac »

"Why aren't you wearing your eyebrows??"
Everyday you're here is torture to my heart; reminding me of how you'll never be mine..
..I'm going to miss this feeling.

March 29, 2005, 02:40:26 PM
Reply #11

Loke The Sleek Peruvian

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
whenever you talk to someone it's going to hit your teeth so much it's going to sound like a flipping riverdance going on behind you.

[snapback]44731[/snapback]

Win.
I am Sleek.

Are you?

Only in peru would you consider being closer to satan 'winning'... INCA HAX FOR THE WIN!

March 29, 2005, 03:22:11 PM
Reply #12

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Don't do it duck! Get more tatoos instead, or something.
Or colour your hair pink :)
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

March 29, 2005, 03:29:21 PM
Reply #13

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg
/me hunts for esuna

March 29, 2005, 03:56:54 PM
Reply #14

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
You want something different? Take up hanggliding! Or parasailing!

http://www.nchga.org/
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

March 29, 2005, 04:07:52 PM
Reply #15

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
..can someone point out the plus side to this? I can't think of anything..
[snapback]44736[/snapback]
I'm sure some people find it hot. But does Ducky's husband?
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

March 29, 2005, 05:00:41 PM
Reply #16

SlickWill

• Skulk

• View Profile
I heard that there is one pro to tongue piercing although it does involve somethingn I won't really get into depth about, however if this thingie is a reason for the ring, then you have to weigh the pros/cons, however, if not this imaginary something, then nobody can see it, so what is the point?

March 29, 2005, 05:07:58 PM
Reply #17

SuicidaL MonkeY

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Ive had my eyebrows pierced 3 times...not at the same time but in a period of 2 and 1/2 years....both on my left eyebrow turned out fine but fell out...my right eyebrow rejected the ring...i've had my nipple ring for 3 years now..and no problems have appeared because of it...the reason...i wanted to get it...thats all everyone needs to know because its my reason.

For your concerns grayduck it is up to you if you want to get it pierced.....you wont be eating solid food for about 2 weeks and you'll have to mouthwash with listerine every time you drink or eat to clean your pierce..I have 6 friends with tongue rings and they turned out fine...just watch for it trying to reject...if you see the piercing is forcing its way..either to the left right up or down...and stretching your tounge...take it out....unfortunatly for you if that happens you can never have one their for your tongues sake...No..you wont get a lisp...you may here some clicking when you bite on it or move your tongue but you wont end up with a lisp...during the healing process on the other hand brings lots of goodies...Xtreme lisp...drooling...and it will be hard for ppl to understand you  :) ...only bout 3 weeks of that

now im down to me nipple ring and my tattoo's....oh well...tis bout time to get a sleeve  :D

PRO = Your satisfaction in getting something YOU want for your OWN reason..it isnt up to anyone else ^_^

CON = possible rejection

March 29, 2005, 05:34:24 PM
Reply #18

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Thank you monkey.

If you want to know... I've wanted a tongue piercing loooooong before I met my husband.  And Looooooong before this 'reason' you keep referring to EVER occured to me.  I guess I don't know exactly why I want one - some of my friends have or had them and I always thought they were cool?  Lame reason, but true.  Even before knowing someone w/ a tongue piercing I've been facinated by them.

And I could stand to go on a 'forced diet' - XP  It'll be the new girlie trend.

And vinnie - you're the only idiot who replied kthx :p  I asked here because I want some opinions from people who aren't biased one way or the other... and because I am almost positive that some of the LMers have or have friends who have this done.  I was looking for first-hand stories, not OGM I read you can get a TUMOR!  *dies* ;)

March 29, 2005, 06:17:56 PM
Reply #19

Mac

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://www.gamerankings.com
meh... if you want to get it done, do so. You only live once ..or something. So if you're interested in something (especially for as long as you have been), then go for it.

Reminds me of that South Park episode with the tabacco company..

With a hidey lidey lidey and a hidey lidey lay
We work and we make cigarettes all hidey lidey day
So folks can get a breaky from their stressful lidey lives
And relaxy with the cigarettes we make all day and night

I like to have a cigarehette every now and then
It makes me fee-l calmer when the day is at an end.
And if it gives me cancer when I'm eighty I don't care
Who the hell wants to be ninety anyway?

So with a hidey lidey lidey and a hidey lidey lay
We work and we make cigarettes all hidey lidey day
So folks can get a breaky from their stressful lidey lives
And relaxy with the cigarettes we make all day and night

That being said.. er.. pierce-ith thy tongue, but ask someone who does piercings or a doctor/dentist if it's alright for your "condition".
« Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 06:18:17 PM by Mac »

"Why aren't you wearing your eyebrows??"
Everyday you're here is torture to my heart; reminding me of how you'll never be mine..
..I'm going to miss this feeling.