Author Topic: Mac's Masterpieces! (well, no, but..)  (Read 7363 times)

March 27, 2005, 06:12:27 PM
Read 7363 times

Mac

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://www.gamerankings.com
Almost no topics here, so I decided to show some of my work. These vary greatly as far as recency and decency (as is obvious with some). Some are random things that came to mind, some are drawn crappily intentionally, as I usually don't feel like making serious drawings, but there are a few serious ones in there too.

First Anime Face
From Metroid Prime's Image Gallery
Also From Metroid Prime's Image Gallery
Random Crap
Samus Aran (Metroid Prime)
Wind Waker Link
2 girls
More Randomness
Random Crapola Again
OoT Link <-- I can NOT draw his eyes. I tried so hard. Didn't work. Never could draw 'em.
Robot Thing (Linkin Park CD Cover)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 05:26:49 PM by Mac »

"Why aren't you wearing your eyebrows??"
Everyday you're here is torture to my heart; reminding me of how you'll never be mine..
..I'm going to miss this feeling.

March 27, 2005, 07:10:14 PM
Reply #1

Condizzle

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
I like everything except the random stuff. All your other drawings are very good  ^_^ .
"Jiggling Eggleston," replied the clams.

March 27, 2005, 10:30:27 PM
Reply #2

Mac

• Skulk

• View Profile
heh, yeah the random ones are just doodles of things that came to mind.

Everyday you're here is torture to my heart; reminding me of how you'll never be mine..

March 27, 2005, 11:34:19 PM
Reply #3

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
I liked the two Zelda ones.

March 27, 2005, 11:55:04 PM
Reply #4

Mac

• Skulk

• View Profile
I like 'em too (huge zelda fan). OoT Link's eyes make me angry. They're a bleeatch to draw for me.

[added some stupid robot thing] ^

March 28, 2005, 12:44:27 AM
Reply #5

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
You mind if I use some of these and polish them up with an image editor then color them for my own practice?  I was going to scan some of my own sketches, but I really am not so fond of sketching and my scanner is pewpie anyways.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

March 28, 2005, 01:34:01 PM
Reply #6

Mac

• Skulk

• View Profile
You mind if I use some of these and polish them up with an image editor then color them for my own practice?  I was going to scan some of my own sketches, but I really am not so fond of sketching and my scanner is pewpie anyways.
[snapback]44617[/snapback]
I don't mind at all, go right ahead. ^_^

March 29, 2005, 07:27:01 AM
Reply #7

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
First attempt at coloring an image EVER

Original:

Colored Terribly:

[edit] bleh, I went a bit too harsh on the shadowing on the face, and the highlights could use a little more definition... Maby I'll plug through a few PS coloring tutorials some time, although it is a little hard to figure out the what they are referring to using gimp, as many of the tools have differnet names.  I am so frigging tired right now  v_v

Done with Gimp, a free image manipulation suite in case anyone cares...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 07:44:50 AM by SwiftSpear »

March 29, 2005, 11:01:09 AM
Reply #8

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Lot better than I could do Swift.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

March 29, 2005, 12:49:22 PM
Reply #9

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Lot better than I could do Swift.
[snapback]44715[/snapback]
Oh, wonder of wonders, I beat malev, haleluyah!

(just kidding  <3 )

March 29, 2005, 02:49:39 PM
Reply #10

Mac

• Skulk

• View Profile
For a very first I'd say it's pretty good.

March 30, 2005, 03:12:29 AM
Reply #11

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
I removed the shadowing that made it look like someone had rubbed charcol on her face and added a little bit of highlights...  I'm not thrilled with how the hightlights turned out, but they do kindof work...

March 31, 2005, 09:03:37 PM
Reply #12

Mac

• Skulk

• View Profile
The highlights are better, seems to be too many or something though.. I dunno. Also, the eyes are very round, and the circles of the eyes stick out past the lines above and below them, making her look a lot more wide-eyed than she is in the original. Just some  observations.. I don't even know how to color pictures on computer without MSPaint. ^_^

.. though even if the circles of the eyes didn't stick out past the lines (they stick out very little now), she'd still look very wide-eyed..
« Last Edit: March 31, 2005, 09:05:20 PM by Mac »

April 03, 2005, 11:56:14 PM
Reply #13

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
The highlights are better, seems to be too many or something though.. I dunno. Also, the eyes are very round, and the circles of the eyes stick out past the lines above and below them, making her look a lot more wide-eyed than she is in the original. Just some  observations.. I don't even know how to color pictures on computer without MSPaint. ^_^

.. though even if the circles of the eyes didn't stick out past the lines (they stick out very little now), she'd still look very wide-eyed..
[snapback]45026[/snapback]
Ah, I see it.  I think the issue is just that I have too much of her iris' showing.  Should be easy to fix by just outlining the eyelids a little more strongly...  I was planning on making the eyebrows a little stronger anyways.  I think the issue is that I really didn't compare to the original much after I got the hard lines and color in, thus things that I missed when I was lining just because they were a little too suble for a 3 pixel thick line I just sortof forgot to add to the final.  I should have it fixed up just a little more soon.  I've been lazy, but I think I am going to do one of the link ones next.

The hilights look ok to me still... I think I am going to move the one on her chin just a little to the left, and the one at her nose a little down and left...

April 04, 2005, 11:36:22 AM
Reply #14

Mac

• Skulk

• View Profile
Yeah the highlights work. Also just a note, although I don't know how well it would work out with those colors, but the hair in the original is shaded (the hair that's more in the "back ground" or whatever). The hair that's colored is all one shade. I don't know if it could be made to be shadowed like that or not.

April 05, 2005, 04:44:35 AM
Reply #15

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Yeah the highlights work. Also just a note, although I don't know how well it would work out with those colors, but the hair in the original is shaded (the hair that's more in the "back ground" or whatever). The hair that's colored is all one shade. I don't know if it could be made to be shadowed like that or not.
[snapback]45340[/snapback]
Ah I didn't really knowtice that before... Shading is REALLY easy to do in any high level image manipulation suite (any of the photoshop versions or GIMP) I should be able to add another shading layer to create more depth with little difficulty.

I will try to get this one finished as soon as possible, and once I get working on it I will probably be able to really get started on the next one, but stupid me I tend to take up a million projects all at once, so I really can't give a definite time frame as to when more work will be done on this as opposed to one of my other progects...  I AM working though...

April 05, 2005, 06:09:24 AM
Reply #16

Leaderz0rz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
well you need to decide which type of shading suits you first, I sugest trying soft shading and cel shading, and decide what you like doing the most then start messing with it.

1. the classic anime "cel-shading" where the light differences are made using solid color, skin tone doesn't very much. Its easier to do out of the 3 styles, but there is alot of room to mess up.

2. "soft-shading" This where more realism comes into the colors. The skin tone is very distinguished this way, and your light source is VERY important to keep and have flow throughout the image. This is my personal favorite way to do it, but it takes ALOT of time to do next to cel shading.

3. "Comic style shading" its kind of a mix of soft shading and cel shading, i personaly like the style alot and hope to beable to do it sometime.

The first two are made by the artist preciousflame which you can find her gallery on deviantart, the last one I don't remember but he has alot of steet fighter pieces. you can see his work in the street fighter comic.

left to right:Cel shade,Soft Shade,Comic Shade
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 06:11:16 AM by Leaderz0rz »

April 06, 2005, 10:44:05 AM
Reply #17

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
well you need to decide which type of shading suits you first, I sugest trying soft shading and cel shading, and decide what you like doing the most then start messing with it.

1. the classic anime "cel-shading" where the light differences are made using solid color, skin tone doesn't very much. Its easier to do out of the 3 styles, but there is alot of room to mess up.

2. "soft-shading" This where more realism comes into the colors. The skin tone is very distinguished this way, and your light source is VERY important to keep and have flow throughout the image. This is my personal favorite way to do it, but it takes ALOT of time to do next to cel shading.

3. "Comic style shading" its kind of a mix of soft shading and cel shading, i personaly like the style alot and hope to beable to do it sometime.

The first two are made by the artist preciousflame which you can find her gallery on deviantart, the last one I don't remember but he has alot of steet fighter pieces. you can see his work in the street fighter comic.

left to right:Cel shade,Soft Shade,Comic Shade
[snapback]45496[/snapback]
um...  I basicly just cell shaded it in with transparent layers of black, and then gausian blurred the hell out of it.  After that I tweaked the shading until I liked the way it looked just using the eraser fuzzy paintbrush, and blur tools...

Art has never been to much more then a hobby for me.  It tends to come naturally, but I have to exert alot of energy to try to visualize lightsourses and whatnot.  I have only done maby one or two properly lightsoursed sketches in the past...

[edit] looks like my hosting is down for the time being, so I probably won't be posting any new pics until I can figure out what is going on.  I really hate thumbnailing them if they aren't that big to begin with.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 10:45:20 AM by SwiftSpear »

April 09, 2005, 05:29:08 PM
Reply #18

Mac

• Skulk

• View Profile
Looking forward to seeing more of your work, Swift.