Author Topic: Newborns elec RT Strat.  (Read 8111 times)

March 21, 2005, 11:06:21 PM
Read 8111 times

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
This thing is evil!  Aliens are supposed to be overpowered in 3.0f and newborn has switched it totally around on us!

Although this has REALLY helped liven up the marine game on LM, it really needs to be fixed for 3.1.  But the public isn't going to quickly belive that this thing even exists.  As per this thread people clearly don't belive that rushing and electrifying RTs can possibly result in a better marine game then the more conventional fast upgrades and hive rushes.  Thus I plea to this comunity, whenever you go play classic on any other server, jump in the chair and make this happen!  The public must be made aware that this strat exists, or nothing will ever be changed and LM will remain brutally unbalanced forever (or at least until we ban anyone whos name starts with newb or noob  :p )

Newborn you should be proud of yourself that you discovered this thing, but honestly, it is only fun to play against as an alien so many times before it gets old.

[edit] wow, hyperlinks really don't stand out much with the new forum setup.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 11:07:29 PM by SwiftSpear »
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

March 21, 2005, 11:28:31 PM
Reply #1

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
so does this strat really work?
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

March 21, 2005, 11:33:53 PM
Reply #2

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
so does this strat really work?
[snapback]44155[/snapback]
It eats aliens alive, and spits out HMGs and HA.

March 22, 2005, 12:03:08 AM
Reply #3

AzubahF

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://www.unclebigtime.com
he did that on eon a couple hours ago.  we (aliens) got pwned.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 12:04:19 AM by AzubahF »

March 22, 2005, 12:16:12 AM
Reply #4

holy_devil

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
its actually quite horrible =\ every chamber gotten early(before 1-2m) counters it entirely. focus exploits the lack of armor, allowing skulks to completly remove the marines ability to push until he gets an armory, arms lab, upgrades etc. silence allows skulks again, to completly own marines. theres really no counter viable to that in this strategy, it doesn't allow for MT to be bought early enough. DC, you get cara. cara skulk > vanilla rine =P

as for taking down the nodes, once a fade shows up(i can fade before 3 minutes if i try enough) its basically game over. fade vs vanilla rines. focus enhances the horribleness of it, the fade can probably take the entire team alone.

and all else fails, you get an onos.

as you can see its flawed in so many ways =P its no longer a realistic strategy. it was nice back when in like 2.01 when no one knew how to counter it, and every chamber except dc was never used anyway.

March 22, 2005, 01:13:25 AM
Reply #5

Settler

• Reserved Slot
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://www.lunixmonster.org
would probably only work if u were up against a really unluck alien team :)

seems like today was elec rt all you cant eat smorgasborg :(

March 22, 2005, 02:32:01 AM
Reply #6

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
would probably only work if u were up against a really unluck alien team :)

seems like today was elec rt all you cant eat smorgasborg :(
[snapback]44166[/snapback]
We won a game against you when you early onosed.  

Really it is acctually quite similar to a normal game when the aliens learn to counter it.  Silence and focus are really effective and 2nd hive DC allows fades and onos to smash up elec RTs...

Still, if you let the marines 2 hive lockdown or shotty down one of your hives, the game is really over for you, unlike with normal strats when the loss of one hive sometimes isn't really that huge a deal.

March 22, 2005, 08:57:35 AM
Reply #7

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Funny how people keep saying that it won't work, it won't work, without even trying it. Well, it works, and it's pretty damn frustrating, knowing the marines have ~4-5, or even 3, nodes, and you can't do anything about it. Last night, on eclipse, Dead_Meat and I tried to take down T-junction node that was electrified, while our hive was Maintenance. We bit the node a few times, went back to heal. Rinse, repeat - and this took ~3 minutes, enough for the node to pay for itself. There's just one example of how this strategy is quite useful, but it's more of a hit and miss thing - I'm sure the Aliens can do something radical and just win the whole thing right there. Maybe base rush? Or something.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

March 22, 2005, 10:30:14 AM
Reply #8

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I hope Newborn will be on and comm today. I want to see this.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

March 22, 2005, 10:43:41 AM
Reply #9

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
This strat is unbelievably strong.
I was comm on ns_eclipse today. Started out as very small game (2vs2) for about 2 minutes, then grew to 5vs5 at 5 minutes, and 8vs8 at the end (15 minutes). I electrified every node I found, and despite having made SO many comming mistakes (lost IPs twice, didn't get A1 until 5 mins, didn't get phase tech until 10, no obs until 8, adv armoury at 8), I still won. It's simply not funny...
>_< I hate it.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

March 22, 2005, 11:03:15 AM
Reply #10

Torgo

• Lerker

• View Profile
    • http://
I've noticed Newborn new elec-fetish as well.

I've seen it maybe 4 times, and I think those games were split...

One of the marines' losses was due to shoddy base defense though, then they proceeded to turtle up and farm, even though I still think they could have won...
Taking care of the place while the master is away.

March 22, 2005, 11:48:53 AM
Reply #11

holy_devil

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Funny how people keep saying that it won't work, it won't work, without even trying it. Well, it works, and it's pretty damn frustrating, knowing the marines have ~4-5, or even 3, nodes, and you can't do anything about it. Last night, on eclipse, Dead_Meat and I tried to take down T-junction node that was electrified, while our hive was Maintenance. We bit the node a few times, went back to heal. Rinse, repeat - and this took ~3 minutes, enough for the node to pay for itself. There's just one example of how this strategy is quite useful, but it's more of a hit and miss thing - I'm sure the Aliens can do something radical and just win the whole thing right there. Maybe base rush? Or something.
[snapback]44182[/snapback]

i've used the strat since elec came out man. its really crappy now. i'm sorry. it works GREAT versus newb alien teams or ones that lack teamwork, etc. situatinos any strat would win. but its crap when you have good players on aliens fading, onosing, and giving advice. early base hit with assistance by all the aliens will cause a total loss. chair will die before marines can get back to ms.

March 22, 2005, 12:21:12 PM
Reply #12

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
How does 5 minute a1 work againist 30 second SC aliens?! Did they forget to get fades, chambers and a second hive?

<3 BenjamiN/Benny/MrBen - Washed up clanner, ex-contributor and forum troll.
#lessthanthree on qnet

March 22, 2005, 12:22:38 PM
Reply #13

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
How does 5 minute a1 work againist 30 second SC aliens?! Did they forget to get fades, chambers and a second hive?
[snapback]44197[/snapback]

Supposedly, they couldn't afford them.

March 22, 2005, 12:30:07 PM
Reply #14

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I stand by my comments elsewhere that its the latter day Slash/Burn.

The solution is to go nuts whenever Newb is on the marines, as you can probably expect him to try this.

At the very least you'll snuff a few marines and slow them down.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

March 22, 2005, 01:11:34 PM
Reply #15

holy_devil

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
[snapback]44197[/snapback]

Supposedly, they couldn't afford them.
[snapback]44199[/snapback]

very much showing how much people underestimate the alien res system. its actually quite good, even with like 2 nodes. very slow, but the res and rfk adds up very fast. with the lack of armor/weapons etc, aliens will recieve even more rfk. then you add in the fact that its going to be spent in less places since you have electrified everything, you'll see MORE fades+onii and chambers. kind of hurts you more if you can't pick up the game fast enough by the time they get it. you need early pgs/armor, quite badly =\

March 22, 2005, 01:20:22 PM
Reply #16

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
MC is the new DC, ergo elect rts don't force rines to get focus owned for the first 5 mins.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

March 22, 2005, 01:43:53 PM
Reply #17

Settler

• Reserved Slot
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://www.lunixmonster.org
this isnt the be all to end all strats, but it does work sometimes. marines just need to survive the first 4 or 5 minutes and keep the elec rts they get and their end game is pretty strong...

but if one alien is lucky at the start and gets 10 or so kills they can fade pretty early, or go early onos with DC and then the rines are pretty badly put, if the marines havent gotten a heck of a lot of upgrades...

lots of things depend if u win or not, just like any other strat...  :D
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 01:44:53 PM by Settler »

March 22, 2005, 05:30:04 PM
Reply #18

Iconoclast

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
Seems to win about as much as any other strat I've seen used on LM.

edit - maybe not quite equal, but bonus points for winning with novelty.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 06:14:21 PM by Iconoclast »

March 22, 2005, 06:10:39 PM
Reply #19

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
If Aliens go for RT's early this strat is as good as throwing pebbles at an Onos: Expecting to win is highly unlikely.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2005, 06:11:12 PM by Diablus »