Author Topic: Find the FRICKING driver!  (Read 2516 times)

March 14, 2005, 09:54:49 PM
Read 2516 times

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
So, I got this Logitech webcam,and install the QuickCam software/drivers for it.  Only problem is, that when I have too much IO stuff going on (i think), such as updating the mp3 player and messing around with kazaa, my system goes BSOD! YEARGH!!

Now it's really only a minor annoyance, but I like my system as stable as possible. So I uninstall the offending driver (it apparently is a known, unfixed issue for the driver on Win2000), and yet i STILL get the BSOD!

So my GUESS is that the driver is still around! But I can't FIND IT!

BSOD goes like this:
Stop:0x000000DB C0xc0400....
A driver has corrupted the memory management system PTEs
Address 8046d139 base at .... ntoskrnl.exe

So far, I've
-gotten ready to install the quickcam drivers, then look at the setup files it throws up, and did a search for every single .dll that shows up in the temp setup files in my system. No dice.
-updated my MB drivers
-removed all registry entries (playing with fire) that reference Logitech Cam or QuickCam
-defragged (yeah, long shot)
-used EVEREST, home edition to find the offending driver, no dice
-used whatever that cmd is to look for unsigned drivers, no dice

So, my question to all you ubar geeks of doom, what else can I do? My last resort is to format the drive and reinstall windows, but it's a bother to do so. Ideally, i can either
-find the dang DLLs causing this issue
-somehow fix the "corrupted memory management system PTEs"

Anyone know how I can do either of these? If ya do, you get a meece! Or at least get to look at one as I devour it.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

March 15, 2005, 12:05:53 AM
Reply #1

Vinegar Ninja

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• The one and only!

• Personal Text
    Now with 100% less angst!
    • STEAM_0:0:15737634
    • View Profile
before you call any tech support, let me tell you what will ultimatley end up happening.
"format"
dont call anyone official, thats my advice.

March 15, 2005, 12:57:30 AM
Reply #2

Clashen

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
    • http://
<snip>, your sig image is, or rather was i suppose, 48kb, max size is 22kb. - DHP
<zing>, your mom is, or rather was i suppose, 200kg, max size is 100kg LOL - clashen

March 15, 2005, 01:13:15 AM
Reply #3

CryForMe

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://
kazaa=dewm.
torrentz....all torrentz.
"What do I do first when I comm?"-NSPlayer(2)
"You need to build an RTFM interface."-CFM

March 15, 2005, 10:53:09 AM
Reply #4

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Kazaa lite, fwiw, and does anyone know the answer here?
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

March 15, 2005, 11:20:57 AM
Reply #5

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Run a registry cleaner on it. Look for leftover folders that pertain to the webcam. Look in the registry yourself too.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

March 15, 2005, 12:07:38 PM
Reply #6

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Run a registry cleaner on it. Look for leftover folders that pertain to the webcam. Look in the registry yourself too.
[snapback]43451[/snapback]
I already did a manual registry search< i'll run a registry cleaner, see what it finds.
-Richard Feynman

March 15, 2005, 02:14:10 PM
Reply #7

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
before you call any tech support, let me tell you what will ultimatley end up happening.
"format"
dont call anyone official, thats my advice.
[snapback]43419[/snapback]
^^

thats their solution for everything

K++  :ph34r:
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

March 15, 2005, 04:16:17 PM
Reply #8

DruBo

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• Personal Text
    Back in Beige
    • View Profile
Boot with your Win2k install disc and load up the recovery console. (you know how, right?)

Copy the file c:\winnt\repair\system to c:\winnt\system32\config\system

Reboot. This will likely fix your bluescreen. Some applications will be broken and you'll need to reinstall them but it's better than the alternative.

Don't bother trying to do it in windows, it'll just tell you access denied.

March 15, 2005, 04:19:03 PM
Reply #9

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
Start-> run
sfc /scannow
Put in your windows disk when it asks ;)

Do this before anything else, because its the least invasive thing possible :)

March 15, 2005, 04:43:55 PM
Reply #10

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Awesome, all good options, I'll try them when I get home :) The IT at work said to run msconfig, which I'll try as well :)

Thanks!
-Richard Feynman

March 15, 2005, 07:36:57 PM
Reply #11

DruBo

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• Personal Text
    Back in Beige
    • View Profile
MSCONFIG doesn't exist on windows 2000, but you can run the one from XP. I've attached it to this post for your convenience. Just download that and double-click it; it's essentially just a GUI frontend to certain parts of the registry so it doesn't need to be anywhere in particular.