Author Topic: Squads  (Read 3614 times)

March 29, 2005, 04:46:36 PM
Read 3614 times

SuicidaL MonkeY

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
Since the Final arrived i've noticed that with all the alien and marines tweaks...there is no way in hell marines can win without going out in groups or if the comm uses squad teqs...

Why do you think the aliens seem so invulnerable now a days?...I see it as the marines need to go as a group or use squad tactics, there are alot of players still trying to ninja res nodes and pg's...*cough*....and are finidng it quite unsuccesful. However when marines move out as a group they last alot longer thanks to more area being seen and covered and their numbers take time to decrease..aliens dont like running into more than 2-3 rines one their own....the aliens are spreading out more during the game like they should and not sticking to one side of the map....and the movement/sens first chamber seems to baffle the marines somehow....

So...to all the Comms out there....i ask you....

Will you continue with your current strats and change things now and then just to see what happens?....Have or will you change your comm strat now?...if so...why?....im trying to work out squad movements on my comp right now for the map list on lunix...only got 2 maps done lol....so i wont be comming for awhile till i get a good enough strat...

Phasegates Ninjas and Nodes arent working anymore...WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO?!?!?!?!                          :help:

March 29, 2005, 04:56:01 PM
Reply #1

SlickWill

• Skulk

• View Profile
Usually, at least when I comm, I tell rines to go in groups or sometimes I even bacon to get them all to go to a spot.  Whether it happens or no (most of the time no :angry: ) is up to the team.  Honestly, usually a WP is up and rines don't listen, so why would they listen to squad calls?

March 29, 2005, 05:10:23 PM
Reply #2

Wolfwood

• Skulk

• View Profile
When I was commanding yesterday, I found it incredibly difficult to keep my marines together. I wanted to get a shotty rush going, but some of my marines felt the need to be proficient and wanted to run off randomly to the other side of the map and cap a node rather than stick with the main squad to shotty down the hive -_-

I like to keep rines in groups, but they tend to not listen, so, it gets hard.

March 29, 2005, 05:26:25 PM
Reply #3

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    Nemesis of fun the world over
    • View Profile
I'm not coordinated enough to use squads.

I'm batting 50/50 as per my wins / losses.  I tried Newborns elect strat today, that worked, otherwise my strat is the same as before.  I've quit medding rines who don't TRY to stay in groups of 2 or more - thats probably my biggest change.

March 29, 2005, 06:42:38 PM
Reply #4

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
I've always seen comms send us out as singles. No one has taken up this thought yet from my view.

March 29, 2005, 11:01:56 PM
Reply #5

Mac

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://www.gamerankings.com
A few times on other servers, and a couple times on LM, the comm grouped the 'rines.. but as much as I've played since I first started with NS, this 'strategy' has been used very little.

"Why aren't you wearing your eyebrows??"
Everyday you're here is torture to my heart; reminding me of how you'll never be mine..
..I'm going to miss this feeling.

March 29, 2005, 11:36:36 PM
Reply #6

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
It depends.  Rambos/ninjas are still better for putting up RTs/PGs, but if you are acctually moving into enemy territory you kindof need to blitzkrieg as many marines into the area you want to take as possible.  You DO need squads to take ground, but you also need your squads moving fast, because the aliens will realise what you are doing sooner or later, and after they respawn they get to an area alot faster then newly spawning marines do.

2 fades and 3 skulks spells doom for any squad that isn't holding some kind of protolab technology, and the closer you get to the hive the worse it gets.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

March 30, 2005, 05:45:41 AM
Reply #7

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Squads are almost purely for the commander's convenience. I have seen commanders try to use them to organize marines before, but it almost never worked. There was one exception though; the commander organized us into "buddy pairs", with each pair being a squad. It worked out well, as all we had to do to survive was find the other green icon.

In short, marines do need to stick together to survive, but the squad assignments are not necessary.

March 30, 2005, 07:26:34 AM
Reply #8

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
I tend to put everyone in squad 1, and always have squad 1 selected. Sure, it gives them useless orders at all times (1 guy building a node here, but everyone gets a waypoint to it), yet it's SO helpful in telling me who has how much health, as well as keeping track of the Marines themselves - it's easier to see them with the healthbars.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

March 30, 2005, 07:53:43 AM
Reply #9

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
I don't even know how to assign command squads, I just keep on the ball with my alerts and make sure I have a reasonable idea of where all my marines are on the minimap.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

March 30, 2005, 08:19:39 AM
Reply #10

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Crouch + [1-5]
[1-5] to select
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

March 30, 2005, 09:29:41 AM
Reply #11

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
My main use for squads is: 1 for obs, 2 for arms lab and 5 for marines. 3 and 4 can go to other marines or extra observatories.

March 30, 2005, 09:47:42 AM
Reply #12

DarkScythe

• Skulk

• View Profile
i started grouping everyone to squad 1 simply because HD told me as long as u have the squad selected, everyone's HP bars will always be displayed, making it easier to know who to med..

still i'm slow with medpacks.. but it helps lol

March 30, 2005, 10:39:35 AM
Reply #13

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
i started grouping everyone to squad 1 simply because HD told me as long as u have the squad selected, everyone's HP bars will always be displayed, making it easier to know who to med..
[snapback]44830[/snapback]

Yeah, that helps so much, I'd say it's more important knowing the health of your Marines, despite them having to get a waypoint each time you place a building.

My uber-groups: 1 for marines, 5 for obs, 4 for arms lab, 3 for proto lab, 2 for armoury.

March 30, 2005, 12:34:39 PM
Reply #14

pardzh

• Skulk

• View Profile
My main use for squads is: 1 for obs, 2 for arms lab and 5 for marines. 3 and 4 can go to other marines or extra observatories.
[snapback]44829[/snapback]

Bingo. I hardly ever give waypoints to Marines though, since no one ever goes to them.