Author Topic: 3.0 opinions  (Read 12353 times)

March 05, 2005, 04:11:38 PM
Read 12353 times

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
So, what are your thoughts about 3.0 while the NS forums are down (and probably will be down for quite a while the way that usually works out)?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2005, 04:11:52 PM by SwiftSpear »
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

March 05, 2005, 04:18:44 PM
Reply #1

AzubahF

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://www.unclebigtime.com
I'm looking forward to this next version very much.  I never bothered constie playtesting or whatever... I left that up to the smart people :D   ... but yeah, from the changelog it looks pretty nice.  There's a lot of things that I've thought should be a part of NS for a while, like free alien upgrades, gestating to skulk for free.  Nothing on the changelog looks like anything that's a bad idea to me.

I'm wondering about the innate alien regen though, whether it makes a sound like it does when you have the regen upgrade and/or are healing at DCs.

March 05, 2005, 04:18:48 PM
Reply #2

moofree

• Lerker

• View Profile
Haven't played final yet, but played the playtest... only got like 5 full games in the many weeks I played it, but they were all...
Two words...
Freakin Awesome

I haven't had this much fun since 2.0

AzubahF: Innate regen is silent
« Last Edit: March 05, 2005, 04:20:19 PM by moofree »

March 05, 2005, 04:21:20 PM
Reply #3

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Um... everyone knows that V3.0 is out already right?  I just played it and that is why I am curious as to what other people think...  We have been talking about the changelog for ever, now play the game and give me opinions on the REAL DEAL!

[edit] and the innate regen does not make a sound, it is silent.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2005, 04:21:52 PM by SwiftSpear »

March 05, 2005, 04:22:14 PM
Reply #4

AzubahF

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://www.unclebigtime.com
ah... that's pretty cool.  so you can still be a stealthy little skulk and heal a little.

edit:  oh hehe, no I didn't know it was out.  guess i've got some downloading to do
« Last Edit: March 05, 2005, 04:24:17 PM by AzubahF »

March 05, 2005, 04:22:32 PM
Reply #5

moofree

• Lerker

• View Profile
Dammit lemme get home from work first... 40 minutes.

AzubahF: Yeah it's great. Aliens have needed this for a long time.

It's a shame that there were problems with the new hitbox code... I was really looking forward to that.
Hear it's gonna be in 3.1 though

My favorite changes are 1)Sieges not dealing damage to players (especially with FF on) and 2)Turrets and OCs prioritizing players over buildings.
Those two things just got annoying.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2005, 04:28:11 PM by moofree »

March 05, 2005, 04:23:37 PM
Reply #6

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
haha, sure.

March 05, 2005, 04:34:10 PM
Reply #7

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Okay, I haven't gotten a chance to play a full ns_ game yet, so I'll just give my opinion on combat and the details:

I like the innate regen. It gives you that extra little chance to get away if you slip up. Also, it makes me feel like I'm playing a zerg. :>

I love that fades can finally blink off ladders. I like the pancaking limit, though it was fun to try that before. I think it's good that hives always show up now.

The missing resource bar kind of bugs me, but it's no big deal to me. I do like that reload animations finally show up. It was weird at first, but it's neat to see the marine reloading, giving you the opportunity to run in for the kill.

I don't think combat has been affected that much, but I hear that aliens are more powerful in classic.

March 05, 2005, 04:39:08 PM
Reply #8

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Okay, I haven't gotten a chance to play a full ns_ game yet, so I'll just give my opinion on combat and the details:

I like the innate regen. It gives you that extra little chance to get away if you slip up. Also, it makes me feel like I'm playing a zerg. :>

I love that fades can finally blink off ladders. I like the pancaking limit, though it was fun to try that before. I think it's good that hives always show up now.

The missing resource bar kind of bugs me, but it's no big deal to me. I do like that reload animations finally show up. It was weird at first, but it's neat to see the marine reloading, giving you the opportunity to run in for the kill.

I don't think combat has been affected that much, but I hear that aliens are more powerful in classic.
[snapback]42502[/snapback]
IMO aliens are godly powerful in classic 3.0... but I don't know, we will see how things work when people settle into the game more... I'm sure there will be tricks.

And bah, I even forgot to use the alien flashlight all game when I was playing  >_<  >_<

March 05, 2005, 04:43:29 PM
Reply #9

Hesitation

• Lerker

• View Profile
    • http://
Lots of alien buffs, which I'm definatley enjoying. Free upgrades, free regen, and the flashlight are the headliners for this patch if you ask me.

The flashlight is friggin awesome. I took advanced hive sight so many times, and this new global incarnation rules.

What free upgrades REALLY means is skulks will actually get them! I mean honestly, nobody really upgrades skulks, but now I get them every single life. The difference is more than noticable (SoF/Cara/Silence=laffs). And it might just be me, but the upgrade gestation time seems faster.

I still have a problem with the observatory in general, but whatever. Mostley good!
A skulk on the roof is worth two on the ground!

March 05, 2005, 04:44:25 PM
Reply #10

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
That new map ns_eon is HUGE!!!. I also like the new sound when you reload or shoot the lmg.

March 05, 2005, 04:50:34 PM
Reply #11

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Upgrade time is faster.

I think that at this moment, Aliens are stronger than Marines because the Marines haven't adapted yet. New strategies will have to form instead of the usual ones.

I like all the little fixes to game mechanics and whatnot; really helps.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

March 05, 2005, 05:34:54 PM
Reply #12

Decimator

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
I really like ns_eon.  It just seems to be a wonderful map.
Alert code one.  The temperature is twenty degrees below zero.

March 05, 2005, 05:37:57 PM
Reply #13

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
That new map ns_eon is HUGE!!!. I also like the new sound when you reload or shoot the lmg.
[snapback]42506[/snapback]

Yeah, that map really is big. I like it though. I just hope it doesn't go the way of the ns_altair.

The LMG shooting sound is old; it's the original from before b5. I do like the new sounds though, with the exception of the jetpack. It makes it sound like my sound is lagging or my sound card is melting. Argh.

The flashlight is useful, but I don't think it will help so much that it unbalances anything. I think aliens should be the ones who can ambush in the dark, anyway. It just kind of adds that ominous feeling you get in the ns_hera maintenance corridor, where it's all dark.

I think the reason people feel that aliens are overpowered is mainly because of the amount of small tweaks that go for the aliens. If there is one change that truly buffs the aliens, though, I'd say it goes to the free upgrades. Skulks with silence all the time? Carapace? Focus?

Question: Does partial cloaking (you know, 30% or whatever when you're moving quickly) show up on MT?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2005, 07:06:21 PM by Manta »

March 05, 2005, 07:53:22 PM
Reply #14

Eggman

• Lerker

• View Profile
I guess I haven't posted here yet... but I will now. ^^

Eon has a cooler atmosphere than altair, IMO. Haven't gotten to play the new altair, though.
The LMG sounds like an old tommy gun or something to me... it'll grow on me though.
Oh, speaking of the maintenance corridor, there's a weld point now so it's not so dark down there. ^^ Not that you usually spend a lot of time in that little area, but hey.
I don't believe partial cloaking shows up on MT, though I haven't tried it.
"Everything in life is simple. You just have to figure it out first" - Me

March 05, 2005, 08:02:17 PM
Reply #15

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
I believe the LMG sound is the old one from before b5. I like it.

March 05, 2005, 09:44:08 PM
Reply #16

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
I've just redownloaded b5 to get some of the old files...

New LMG clip-out sound when reloading is horrible. It has this one spot that sounds like a parasite-hit, very very annoying.
Also, the new medpack model, although it looks nice, doesn't match the rest of the TSA stuff in any damn way. Would look better in a different game.

March 05, 2005, 10:13:34 PM
Reply #17

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Aliens seem to be doing a bit better. The only thing is so far I've seen an awful lot of shotty pg rushes.

SC is definitely very viable right off the bat. Innate regen means you can chip away at most marine locations, as well as benefit from a nearby SC.

No siege damage to players is AWESOME. Gorges can healspam hives with impunity. The little hive icon that shows health of the hive is also useful for gauging how bad a threat is.. and is terrifying when you see it go from fine to red in half a second due to rampant shotty rushing.

All in all very happy with the new release!
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

March 05, 2005, 11:19:28 PM
Reply #18

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
3.0 is great so far except for the fact that the map setup (default) is like constant combat  :wacko:
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

March 05, 2005, 11:39:05 PM
Reply #19

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Damn, I forgot it came out today. But I've been busy all day or out. Tomorrow I'll check it out.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.