Author Topic: Opinions on the "new" knife  (Read 3779 times)

March 06, 2005, 12:52:28 PM
Read 3779 times

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
I think it's nice. No longer can two marines, back-to-back in a vent, hold off anything but a lerk or gorge. I think it's double-edged (bad pun, yes) when fighting skulks. On one hand, you can't push them back, which is good for skulks, since their view won't be all shaken up. On the other hand, this allows you to run straight at a skulk and get two quick slashes in where you would otherwise only get in one if it was b5. Then again, the skulk can still bite you while you do that. However, I have noticed that running at a skulk and just knifing in his face tends to work if he's slightly weakened.

March 06, 2005, 01:30:08 PM
Reply #1

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Well, as a completely unresearched opinion (I'm downloading b6 as we speak), I think I'll like it.
My most aggravating experiences with knife knockback have been as an Onos, where marines have sometimes survived for far longer than they should because they either knifed away at me or timed their strikes just right, making it very hard for me to hit them. Now I'll just shrug off their puny stabbing and laugh as I skewer them on my tusks.

March 06, 2005, 02:33:39 PM
Reply #2

[JFF]Kirby

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
thats all fine and good.. but what bothers me is the major skulk bite / fade swipe / onos gore knock back... if i bite a marine he flys far enough across the room to shoot me before i can get to him and bite him again...

March 06, 2005, 03:25:19 PM
Reply #3

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
The problem with removing knockback is essentially the drawback of removing knife knockback, except with knife knockback removal, the skulk still has the advantage. If you remove skulk bite knockback, then the skulk is almost guaranteed the second bite, so the marine might as well be dead.

March 06, 2005, 03:42:44 PM
Reply #4

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
I haven't tried out the knife you but when the time comes I'll give it a swipe.

March 06, 2005, 05:12:00 PM
Reply #5

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I try to go Death from Above with skulks, so its all moot.

Its certainly better in that I'm not being juggled by marines, but it does mean 4 marines with knives can seriously cluster you.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

March 06, 2005, 05:36:10 PM
Reply #6

Eggman

• Lerker

• View Profile
I like not having the knife knockback. It can be handy for marines, but mostly it's just not cheap now when knifing a fade or onos. It was weird getting knifed as a fade and not getting knocked back, though. I was almost more disoriented because I expected to be flying everywhere.
"Everything in life is simple. You just have to figure it out first" - Me

March 07, 2005, 12:12:53 AM
Reply #7

SlickWill

• Skulk

• View Profile
My opinion is I am getting killed by it waaaaaaaayyyyyyy too much.

:(
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 12:13:15 AM by SlickWill »

March 07, 2005, 04:13:44 AM
Reply #8

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Yarr Slick, the problem I believe is that people are so used to flying from any knifer that we're not used to dodging. Second, people can literally swamp you with knives and you need to kill them all in order to get out alive.

Knife damage isn't something to laugh at when you're dogpiled by 4 rines.

March 07, 2005, 03:25:06 PM
Reply #9

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Sure, but that's only a problem when they do swamp you, and how often does that happen? They'd have to coordinate it.

March 07, 2005, 03:56:10 PM
Reply #10

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Happens a lot when they're out of ammo, or four guys say "what the hell, lets knife the onos"

March 07, 2005, 05:04:54 PM
Reply #11

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
I think this would work in favor the onos, actually, unless he had gotten shot down to low HP already.

March 08, 2005, 06:56:12 AM
Reply #12

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
If they're medded and armoured and decently spaced out, they can really do damage.

Tbh tho I've not seen many knife kills, other than the usual suspects. Its not any easier to get a kill.

March 08, 2005, 07:14:26 AM
Reply #13

SlickWill

• Skulk

• View Profile
I think if you are good with knife, I mean really good, you just got better.  But if you aren't, it doesn't make a difference.

March 12, 2005, 02:06:18 PM
Reply #14

Guspaz

• Reserved Slot
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://teknews.net
My thoughts:

1) This knife is not new, this is how it used to work
2) The marine is supposed to be good at range. Close up to a skulk the marine is not supposed to have a hope in hell.

Let me expand on the second item:

The entire point of NS is that aliens are mostly melee fighters, and marines are entirely ranged fighters. If a marine is going up against a SKULK with a KNIFE, then he should lose EVERY TIME unless the skulk is already damaged. The marine is supposed to stop the skulk from getting close to him in the first place.

I believe the proper statement is "If you have to use your knife, you're alreay dead."

So to close, the knife was never meant to be good against enemy players, ever. It is a last resort and for taking down structures.