Author Topic: STEAM  (Read 3700 times)

February 24, 2005, 07:58:23 PM
Read 3700 times

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
I've really liked steam lately, these updates that valve keeps coming with also complete my wishlist. The little info update every week is a good idea, since valve was sort of weak in that area. Valve is doing a great job and should keep it up. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 08:15:25 PM by IntensityRising »

February 24, 2005, 08:12:50 PM
Reply #1

Zero7

• Legacy Admin
  • Fade

• View Profile
Steam still sucks, IMO.
... *Sigh* When I Get A Sig That's NOT Consider Fan Service, I'll Put It Here
Winnar ! (Knives)
Poofle Pwn!

February 24, 2005, 08:29:24 PM
Reply #2

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Eh, i downloaded steam 2 years ago in September like an idiot falling for all those rumors of WON switching then. So I hated it with all my heart, but then after using it for about 4 months I started to grow fond of it. Its improved big time, so i appreciate it. besides it does one thing I love: Auto updates the "big" games. I mean comeon did you enjoy waiting 60 minutes on line / downloading patches from horrible hosts that are being flooded? No.

February 24, 2005, 08:33:06 PM
Reply #3

Isamil

• Onos

• View Profile
    • http://
I like steam

February 24, 2005, 08:44:18 PM
Reply #4

Leaderz0rz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
i've never ever ever had a problem with steam, so compared to WoN i think its a step in the right direction for games. Ingame server browsers and mod selection is annoying imo. expecialy if you just want to see if the server is full or want to see who is playing. and i think steam is the first program to auctaly let you copy and paste things in the console =p

February 24, 2005, 09:48:22 PM
Reply #5

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
i think steam is the first program to auctaly let you copy and paste things in the console
[snapback]41607[/snapback]

I like that, but they should enable Ctrl+C as well, for those who refuse to use anything but shortcuts. Like me.

When I had my old computer, Steam games would run a lot faster than WON games, not sure why. About 10 fps increase, so that's nice, considering I was at ~20 in CS and ~5 in NS. With my new computer, I don't see much of a difference. Only it takes a while to close NS - about 10 seconds, I'm not used to that :)

I can't wait until NS becomes a "big game" and is updated automatically, is in the games list officially, etc.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

February 24, 2005, 09:53:30 PM
Reply #6

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
steam rox :) except when it breaks sometimes :(
-_^

February 24, 2005, 10:12:41 PM
Reply #7

X-S-Z

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Never had a problem with steam, ever. I love it.

February 25, 2005, 04:24:04 AM
Reply #8

Owen

• Skulk

• View Profile
Well according to valve, things like the ever popular ticket error have been solved. So this means that Steam has gone up loads in my estimation. It's very diverse, and as much as I loved WON, Steam's just better.

February 25, 2005, 06:21:20 AM
Reply #9

Plaguebearer

• Gorge

• View Profile
I still get the ticket error. :/
God, I'm old.

February 25, 2005, 06:55:44 AM
Reply #10

SlickWill

• Skulk

• View Profile
I love steam, other than its crashes every once in a blue moon.  It can be a little touchy sometimes, but overall, the concept is great, no CDs to worry about.  Face it, you have your games anywhere, anytime, can't be that.

February 25, 2005, 10:39:25 AM
Reply #11

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I hate Steam still because it sucks for dial-up users. But broadband is so close I can taste it.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

February 25, 2005, 05:22:11 PM
Reply #12

Mr.Bill

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
After Me and steam had an arguement (I wanted to work, it didn't) I almost litterally beat it with a stick into ssubmission, were I broke it's will and got it working for my cause.

Ever since it's beating, it's been working great.

Hows my comming? PM!

For the win

February 25, 2005, 06:23:02 PM
Reply #13

Clashen

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
It sucks cause it ignores me telling it NOT to auto-update stuff.
So if it even just starts downloading 1% update, i have to download the rest 99% of the game, at 56k, if i want to be able to play it.

Offlinemode sucks, otherwise it's ok.
<snip>, your sig image is, or rather was i suppose, 48kb, max size is 22kb. - DHP
<zing>, your mom is, or rather was i suppose, 200kg, max size is 100kg LOL - clashen

February 25, 2005, 09:19:14 PM
Reply #14

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
I believe there working on that, in the meantime you can use my internet connection  :)

February 27, 2005, 08:50:18 PM
Reply #15

bacon_flaps

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I REALLY LIKE STEAM A LOT, IT HAS BEEN GREAT TO ME! ESPECIALLY ON HL2'S RELEASE DAY.
signature

February 27, 2005, 10:39:25 PM
Reply #16

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
Btw did I mention i stayed up till 2am the first day steam came out to signup for it and on the day hl2 was released I got it in a matter or 20 minutes so that isn't as bad as the other people who had to wait several hours.

March 03, 2005, 01:05:41 PM
Reply #17

TheMunch8

• Skulk

• View Profile
Ive had Steam for a while now, and it has been nothing but good to me.  I bought HL2 the night of, and it took less then 30 min to authorize.  When i reformat my computer (which is a lot) all i have to do is copy the gcf files to my server, and then reformat, install steam, and copy them over, and it works.  This takes around 2 minutes of my time (and a long time copying) instead of waiting for it to install from a CD.

It works, but there are a couple of little things that could be added to make it better, such as:
- Ability to Reorder/group games by mod: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/show...threadid=194796
- Ability to save config files globaly: Such that my controls are same wherever i log in.  
- Support for 3rd party Mods in Steam Games (auto updates etc that is promised for NS):
could be done such that in the Developer SDK, you press Create A Mod, and you can desginate people on your team who can edit things and apply updates etc.  From this, the Browse Games can list all the mods in development and completed mods that are playable.  Also a link from the Mod homepage to install it (such like Steam://installmod=4893)
- A Better Friends System
- Vac actually working :-p

March 04, 2005, 11:45:26 AM
Reply #18

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
I also like the STEAM system, I now understand why Valve wanted to do this. I can go over to a friends and just log on to my steam account and play hl2 or whatever.

March 04, 2005, 12:55:08 PM
Reply #19

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
as a 56.k user, I waited about 10 months after steam started running before actually installing it on my computer, and bringing the caches in on CD. Steam was a steaming POS, but now it's a sweet system that lets you play your games from basically any computer with fast access.

Overall I like it, it has vastly improved.

but it still sucks you can't ctrl+c  :huh:
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.