Author Topic: Aiming and shooting  (Read 6990 times)

February 19, 2005, 06:57:19 PM
Read 6990 times

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
What's your style of aiming?

Usually, for the LMG, I try to strafe past the skulk or back away from the skulk as I aim. With the pistol, it's just point and shoot.

With the shotgun, though, I tend to get very twitchy. In fact, I tend to miss a lot more if I'm not reacting. I just can't seem to aim as well when I try to aim ahead. When I have a shotgun, I usually see the alien come and maybe plan out when I'm going to shoot. Usually, though, I see a skulk marching along the floor and I jerk my mouse down to shoot it. Same with lerks. I can actually hit a lot of lower lifeforms this way, for some reason, and can manage a full 180-degrees spin to hit a skulk behind me if I get scared. A drawback to this is that I end up clipping my teammates with a couple of the outer pellets occasionally.

With the knife, I used to just hold down +attack and come out swinging, but I find that it's only useful to intimidate a skulk. Once I get down to the actual shanking, I try to jump around and swing upwards, if I can, swinging only when I want to hit. If the skulk goes for my head, then I just swing at his belly, clicking only when I plan to attack.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2005, 06:59:14 PM by Manta »

February 19, 2005, 10:37:03 PM
Reply #1

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
lmg> I mostly spray alot with it cuz eh, doesnt take many shots to kill a skulk, unless im IN THE ZONE and im tryin to do good :)

pistol> click as fast as I can.

shotty> wait for the aliens to get in reaaaaal nice and close then WHAMMO

hmg> no real method to using one of them

knife> make sure you got the alien(or marine if youre tking) to pretty low health then one last STAB TO TEH DEATH.
-_^

February 19, 2005, 10:48:02 PM
Reply #2

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
I'm twitchy as hell with the SG.  Pretty much all the other guns I just put the alien in my crosshairs and hold fire until they are dead though.  cept pistol, that is just hammer the mouse as hard as possible.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

February 19, 2005, 11:55:37 PM
Reply #3

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
LMG: Strafe around the skulk while focussing on the skulk and where he'll be in the next second, getting ready to move my mouse there. Helps to know the curve of jumping for skulks - how long they fly up, how long they fly down, etc.
Pistol: This is where I do extremely bad - I just click as fast as I can. I've been trying to control myself recently, and aim for about 1/2 a second before each shot.
Shotgun: I'm really twitchy. When I see something move, I immideately point my crosshair on it and shoot. Be it an elevator button changing colour, a teammate starting to weld me, or a skulk.
HMG: Nothing to be said here.
Knife: I suck at this.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

February 20, 2005, 08:46:08 AM
Reply #4

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
With the pistol, I'm semi-twitchy. If I don't get jumped and surprised, I fire kind of slowly, but I actually take aim. If I get surprised, I'll press my jump key and track the skulk, rapidly hammering away at +attack. Somehow, I manage to aim carefully, but I think that's unconscious aiming.

February 20, 2005, 10:04:15 AM
Reply #5

CorvusX

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://
Spray and pray.

...or, mine everything.  Whichever kills stuff first.

February 20, 2005, 10:27:11 AM
Reply #6

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
when im concentrating, i think im a pretty good shot. No HD or ebnar for sure but i can hit a moving target... just look at them and follow them with the crosshair. It sounds really pathetic but i tend to try and take longer breaths when i play because it keeps me from jumping.

With the shotty... i tend to  be good IF i wait. If i just hammer away i get caught in between pumps and die. but if i wait i can hit a lerk or a leaper BLAM one full load, all pellets. and boy does it fell good to hit that leaper in the belly and watch him fly back.

HMG- who in the hell aims with an HMG?

February 20, 2005, 11:11:40 AM
Reply #7

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
I just circle strafe, and glide jump my way to victory.

I also have to do prediction twitches when I lag, so I shoot a couple feet infront of a skulk, wait 2 seconds, and then get the kill  <_<
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

February 20, 2005, 03:18:38 PM
Reply #8

fatty

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
a lot of you strafe the SAME direction while firing, EVERY fight. it can get quite predictable.

February 20, 2005, 03:36:02 PM
Reply #9

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
a lot of you strafe the SAME direction while firing, EVERY fight. it can get quite predictable.
[snapback]41171[/snapback]
wait so you come thinking "ooh this is LC so hes gonna strafe left" "yephe sure did i killed him look at me im fatty wootwootwoot"

thats amazing, never thought of that

February 20, 2005, 05:15:53 PM
Reply #10

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Aim for everthing's arse. Seems to hit more.

Second, use Mr Ben's shotty crosshairs. I can kill everything with a shotty now, its pretty scary.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

February 20, 2005, 05:29:10 PM
Reply #11

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
I spray and pray.

February 21, 2005, 03:26:22 AM
Reply #12

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Point and click, baby.

EDIT: My actual movements whilst shooting be it strafing, jumping or just general ducking is hard to explain. It just happens and I do whatever fits the situation and the geometry.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2005, 03:27:18 AM by Mr.Ben »

<3 BenjamiN/Benny/MrBen - Washed up clanner, ex-contributor and forum troll.
#lessthanthree on qnet

February 21, 2005, 05:26:14 AM
Reply #13

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Try this sometime:

If a skulk is running towards you (easier if it doesn't swerve), run towards it and jump + duck in midair so that you jump right over it. If you do it right (and with a little luck), you'll land behind the skulk, giving you a nice, clean shot, provided you can turn all the way in time.

February 21, 2005, 09:15:34 AM
Reply #14

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Generally speaking it's bad practise to run towards any aliens. You'd be far better off circle strafing around the skulk and simply killing him. Your idea though is certainly more entertaining and might well be more enjoyable if you're not so worried about getting the kill.

<3 BenjamiN/Benny/MrBen - Washed up clanner, ex-contributor and forum troll.
#lessthanthree on qnet

February 21, 2005, 09:21:09 AM
Reply #15

SgtFury

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
Sometimes I find a good way to avoid "some" skulks is treat it like a matador treats a bull. As it comes at you jump sideways and turn at the last minute. Means you can continue pumping bullets into it and confuses the skulk slightly.

Plus I tend to shout in my head "olee" as I do it :)

February 21, 2005, 09:34:05 AM
Reply #16

Mr.Bill

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
LMG - Aiming required
Pistol - Aim, and shoot fast
Shotty - Pray and spray
Hmg - Spray in the general direction of something
GL - Bounce shot! unload em to your nearest target

Hows my comming? PM!

For the win

February 21, 2005, 10:26:15 AM
Reply #17

Isamil

• Onos

• View Profile
From the amount of people saying you only need to spray in the general direction of something with a HMG, it tells a lot about why HA trains die to skulks so much.

February 21, 2005, 01:12:10 PM
Reply #18

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
I treat the LMG and HMG the same way, point and click. With the HMG, I don't bother to strafe though, 4 bullets and they're dead.

Pistol, If scripts were still allowed I'd hit my toggle to turn Mwheel from +jump to +attack, and roll like crazy. Nowadays, I drum my index and middle fingers on mouse1 as fast as I can. Can usually get the whole clip off pretty damn fast.

Shotties are twitch, plain and simple. Sometimes, like, if I'm in a vent, I'll wait for them to come in and get closer, otherwise I just let my spastic side take over.

Knifes, ehh, usually try to jump on top the skulk. After, of course, hitting them with 8 or so LMG bullets.

February 21, 2005, 02:04:47 PM
Reply #19

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Generally speaking it's bad practise to run towards any aliens. You'd be far better off circle strafing around the skulk and simply killing him. Your idea though is certainly more entertaining and might well be more enjoyable if you're not so worried about getting the kill.
[snapback]41236[/snapback]

Yeah, it usually doesn't work. If the skulk is just running straight at you, however, this can be pulled off. It's even better when the skulk bites your feet so you fly way up. It's mainly for entertainment, not victory.

Oh, and a problem with trying to knife a skulk from the top is that they can easily bite you on the feet, sending you way up. If you have bullets left, you can shoot them, but you're usually screwed otherwise.