Author Topic: Why I love LunixMonster  (Read 12487 times)

February 15, 2005, 09:03:55 PM
Read 12487 times

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
I ended up playing on a random pub server today, after camping the LM join line for about 20 mins and not being able to get in. I went with Corvus to some server on ns_origin, not sure which server it was. Me and him went Marines (oh stacks), and he was comm. It was originally a 3vs3, but later grew to about 4vs4 (yay). The Aliens' first hive was Furnace. Our team (me, in other words) went to Comp Lab, Xenoform, Bio, capped all the left-side nodes. In the meanwhile, the Alien gorge kept building OCs right in my path - just starting them; not even trying to finish them. Each time I killed him while he was hiding behind his unbuilt OC he would complain a bit.

So, after about 10 minutes, I build a phase gate near Furnace (I can't use the word sneak up; I clearly made signs that I was there). 1 alien kept rushing me, and after I killed him about 5 times, he accused me of hacking and left. I built the phase successfully (meeting no other resistance), and Corvus dropped me and a teammate jetpacks and shotguns. My teammate and I went into the hive, started shooting it, but then he became incredibly attracted to an OC and started shooting it instead of the hive.

Despite it taking me well over 1 minute to kill the hive by myself, I met no alien resistance. I later went on to Ventilation and tried to build a phase gate there, but every possible area was filled with OCs. I died, and was given a jetpack and shotty again. I tried several times to build a phase gate, but died to a high-pinger who would never ever get hit by my pellets. He eventually died for some reason, and I finished the phase. This time, my teammate prioritized a bit better and decided to shoot the hive. Hive went down (Again with no resistance), and we went to Ventilation for the last hive. Unfortunately, the whole area was lamed up with OCs. I died, again, several more times. I could never find a safe spot to build a phase gate, and there was a skulk camping in there with cloak (sens second hive) who would always finish me off after OC fire.

At this point, the Aliens have 2 players, 1 gorge and 1 newb who always had 100 res and didn't spend it on anything except cloaking.

I couldn't convince my teammate to come with me to the hive to take it down; he was more intent on getting the DC down in Laser Drilling. Eventually, I came up with the genius idea to sit on top of the hive and shoot it down. Yay, it goes down after abotu a minute, and I die to OCs. After about 10 seconds, the hive goes up again, in ventilation. I go again, shoot the hive, get it down, die to OCs. Hive goes up again; this time, the Alien went skulk and started lagging insanely again, making it impossible to hit him.

Finally, Corvus decides to go with me to get the hive down, and instead we find the lone alien and kill him. Game over, after 30 minutes.

Summary:
- No coordination between Marines (except me and Corvus)
- No coordination between Aliens (I never saw more than 1 at a time)
- Completely unskilled Aliens (only died to lagged skulks or OCs)
- Completely unskilled Marines (couldn't kill skulks with JP and HMG)
- Res whoring aliens
- Equipment-demanding Marines (drop me a shottie! I don't care that I'm in a random vent near freaking Sewer hive on another map, drop me a damn shotty)

Sigh.
*goes back to LM*

I should never, ever leave this server again. Much better to play Minesweeper while the server is full instead of going elsewhere.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

February 15, 2005, 09:24:04 PM
Reply #1

Azazeal

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
Speak the truth brother SPEAK IT

February 15, 2005, 09:24:26 PM
Reply #2

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Classic mode was not intended for such low player amounts anyway :p

February 15, 2005, 09:27:23 PM
Reply #3

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
To be honest I'm starting to see that sort of behaviour more and more in LM.

Used to be that you could go random and be halfway assured of a decent game.

Nowadays, without fail, if I go random and end up with strangers, the game is an utter failure. Not an enjoyable failure, or a close failure, but a complete panning assisted by a lacklustre team who wouldn't know what to do with their res if I made it into a three layer chocolate cake and shoved it into their mouths.

A lot of the reg players are very high skilled, and maybe bitter experience has rubbed off on me, but its got to the stage now where if there's no regs on, I start getting to the top of the scoreboard.

I should not hitting the top of the scoreboard at my skill level.

I love LM, but this is the level of play that I got on a server that shall remain unnamed but used to be my "backup" whenever I was getting slotkicked.

Its got to the stage where I have to go fade. In fact I've actually started practicing my fade because I've seen too many games where someone says "well guys I can't fade because I suck". On the grand scheme of thing most people suck as fade. I consider the fade standard to be set by HD, scoot, etc. Not many of us are likely to get to that level, but thats a very high bar to set. Not fading because "i'm not HD" is atrocious, its not even an excuse.

I could go on about "is this FF?" "I dropped DC because everyone goes dc first" "whats an mc rush" and similar comments but it all boils down to the core line - has ability drastically decreased amongst the "browsers" of our server, and if so how the hell do we improve it?
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

February 15, 2005, 09:34:38 PM
Reply #4

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
I agree with 2_of_8 here. It's kind of nerve-grating to play on any other server, unless (sometimes) it's a clan server, where members usually have knowledge of the game. I've experienced some of what you mention, Necrosis, but not as much. I think it just comes as new faces decide to connect for a quick game.

I think that by playing with certain people for a while, you just aren't used to others. Regardless of their actual skill, it can be a bit hard to play with strangers if they don't know certain oft-used tactics among regulars.

February 15, 2005, 09:56:06 PM
Reply #5

CorvusX

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
Me and him went Marines (oh stacks)
[snapback]40684[/snapback]

Mmm... random pubs ftw.  Repetitive bacon for organizing nub marines is always fun.^^

Yeah, LM has become my beacon of hope (of sorts).  High skill and fun players make this server/community the best around.

February 15, 2005, 10:59:51 PM
Reply #6

Lightning Blue

• Overlord Penguin
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    The Story Never Ends
    • STEAM_0:0:1372
    • View Profile
    • The Lunixmonster
Has ability drastically decreased amongst the "browsers" of our server, and if so how the hell do we improve it?
[snapback]40687[/snapback]

It's more the NS community going to hell cause it's been in beta too long.
To the stars!

insert witty line here

February 15, 2005, 11:23:37 PM
Reply #7

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net

Yes, this is what I think when I find myself there as well. LET THIS BE A WARNING! if you see me (or apparently, nec) at the top of your team's scoreboard, you gotta try harder, or you are DOOOOMED!!
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

February 15, 2005, 11:27:45 PM
Reply #8

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    Nemesis of fun the world over
    • View Profile

Yes, this is what I think when I find myself there as well. LET THIS BE A WARNING! if you see me (or apparently, nec) at the top of your team's scoreboard, you gotta try harder, or you are DOOOOMED!!
[snapback]40705[/snapback]

* GrayDuck adds self to list.

You know when I'm on top of the score board (especially as a non-comming rine) that my team is DEWMED!!!!!

February 15, 2005, 11:28:53 PM
Reply #9

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
And if I'm not on the top of the scoreboard, then I must not be doing normally for me!

Hehe.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

February 15, 2005, 11:55:53 PM
Reply #10

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Has ability drastically decreased amongst the "browsers" of our server, and if so how the hell do we improve it?

Yeah, this is definitely the case. Even on other skilled servers (what few there are), the nubs just flow in... and LM is definitely no exception. Just be glad we have eough RS to kick them so we can have good games :p
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

February 16, 2005, 12:04:52 AM
Reply #11

Iconoclast

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
I usually just stick to LM, but occassionaly venture out to other servers if I cant get in LM Seems like this is one of the few places you can get a quality game going on a regular basis.

Plus, I've been banned from other servers for 'hacking' - wont name names.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 12:07:21 AM by Iconoclast »

February 16, 2005, 12:25:23 AM
Reply #12

EmperorPenguin

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
I can definitely say that the level of play on LM, while it has changed, keeps me hooked.  I haven't bothered with any other server since I first stumbled on LM back in May.  Not once, even during the constant slotkicks, did I play anywhere else.  The sense of community and the quality of play I saw in the regs was perfect for me.

I'd like to think I've grown as a player since I came here.  Every now and then I wonder how I'd do on some other server, but I'd rather stay here and get owned by HD/ebnar/etc.  It's just worth it.
"What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby?  Maybe we'll never know."

February 16, 2005, 12:51:36 PM
Reply #13

JohnTheGarbageman

• Skulk

• View Profile

[snapback]40702[/snapback]

Hey, a non sequitur - it must be tuesday and or I'm eating cerebellum flavored space.

February 16, 2005, 02:09:47 PM
Reply #14

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I know LM encourages a serious improvement in skill, just in order to remotely challenge the enemy team, but I didn't think it had got to the stage where I can hand out beatings to people. And believe me, I really suck.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

February 16, 2005, 08:07:51 PM
Reply #15

SlickWill

• Skulk

• View Profile
I have seen a huge increase in my skill since I have been playing on LM.  I love seeing the same people day in and day out and shoot the breeze while playing.  DIE NOOBLET YOU BASTARD.  Ahem, anyway, Lunixmonster is the best server I have played on too date.  I sit for long stretches waiting for someone to quit so I can join.  The few times I do get impatient and venture out leave me completely disappointed.  I believe that the quality of the Classic gaming experience meltdown can be tied directly to CS and CO nublets. (Although CO is how most of us started if we haven't been playing since the beginning of time.)  Honestly though, I mostly love the comradery on the server.  BTW, everyone get rts cuz I'M WHORING THE HIVE.  Peace.

February 16, 2005, 11:05:54 PM
Reply #16

Manta

• Fade

• View Profile
Yes, I'd say my favorite part about the server is the fact that I get to play with familiar faces [voices? texts?] often, at a good skill standard.

February 17, 2005, 01:59:33 AM
Reply #17

Azazeal

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
hums mario theme....oh yea Lm is great server, people are great unlike other servers where its all about "Damn i died now my 32-0 score is messsed up now i gotta f4 and try agian" in LM its all about teamwork you die, "Nice try" people often say, it just shows the people at LM have great sportsmanship unlike other servers

February 17, 2005, 02:53:53 AM
Reply #18

spinviper

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
I ended up playing on a random pub server today, after camping the LM join line for about 20 mins and not being able to get in. I went with Corvus to some server on ns_origin, not sure which server it was. Me and him went Marines (oh stacks), and he was comm. It was originally a 3vs3, but later grew to about 4vs4 (yay). The Aliens' first hive was Furnace. Our team (me, in other words) went to Comp Lab, Xenoform, Bio, capped all the left-side nodes. In the meanwhile, the Alien gorge kept building OCs right in my path - just starting them; not even trying to finish them. Each time I killed him while he was hiding behind his unbuilt OC he would complain a bit.

So, after about 10 minutes, I build a phase gate near Furnace (I can't use the word sneak up; I clearly made signs that I was there). 1 alien kept rushing me, and after I killed him about 5 times, he accused me of hacking and left. I built the phase successfully (meeting no other resistance), and Corvus dropped me and a teammate jetpacks and shotguns. My teammate and I went into the hive, started shooting it, but then he became incredibly attracted to an OC and started shooting it instead of the hive.

Despite it taking me well over 1 minute to kill the hive by myself, I met no alien resistance. I later went on to Ventilation and tried to build a phase gate there, but every possible area was filled with OCs. I died, and was given a jetpack and shotty again. I tried several times to build a phase gate, but died to a high-pinger who would never ever get hit by my pellets. He eventually died for some reason, and I finished the phase. This time, my teammate prioritized a bit better and decided to shoot the hive. Hive went down (Again with no resistance), and we went to Ventilation for the last hive. Unfortunately, the whole area was lamed up with OCs. I died, again, several more times. I could never find a safe spot to build a phase gate, and there was a skulk camping in there with cloak (sens second hive) who would always finish me off after OC fire.

At this point, the Aliens have 2 players, 1 gorge and 1 newb who always had 100 res and didn't spend it on anything except cloaking.

I couldn't convince my teammate to come with me to the hive to take it down; he was more intent on getting the DC down in Laser Drilling. Eventually, I came up with the genius idea to sit on top of the hive and shoot it down. Yay, it goes down after abotu a minute, and I die to OCs. After about 10 seconds, the hive goes up again, in ventilation. I go again, shoot the hive, get it down, die to OCs. Hive goes up again; this time, the Alien went skulk and started lagging insanely again, making it impossible to hit him.

Finally, Corvus decides to go with me to get the hive down, and instead we find the lone alien and kill him. Game over, after 30 minutes.

Summary:
- No coordination between Marines (except me and Corvus)
- No coordination between Aliens (I never saw more than 1 at a time)
- Completely unskilled Aliens (only died to lagged skulks or OCs)
- Completely unskilled Marines (couldn't kill skulks with JP and HMG)
- Res whoring aliens
- Equipment-demanding Marines (drop me a shottie! I don't care that I'm in a random vent near freaking Sewer hive on another map, drop me a damn shotty)

Sigh.
*goes back to LM*

I should never, ever leave this server again. Much better to play Minesweeper while the server is full instead of going elsewhere.
[snapback]40684[/snapback]

Yeah. I got banned on a couple of servers as an alien for "Speed Hacking" and as a marine for Aimbotting because I could see a cloaked skulk.
Exitus Acta Probat

February 17, 2005, 02:56:41 AM
Reply #19

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Pugs > LM

Other than that I knowticed exactly the same thing.

I was playing on some server called gorges hideout the other day, I couldn't belive it.  The marine team was pathetic, but dispite that fact, the alien team was worse!  I must have taken down about 6 siege bases and relaid hives 4 times, yet we still couldn't turn the game around.  It was unbeliveable to have 4 marines camping ore processing, and still take 2 minutes to set up a PG and 8 minutes to set up a siege base, yet for some reason I was the only player on my team who made any progress whatsoever in terms of killing marines.  When we got bio up and furnace was being attacked I laid a couple MC's for my guys to warp over, but they didn't bother so furnace died anyways, and then some guy called me a noob for laying MC's instead of waiting for the hive to go down so I could re-lay DCs.  ARG!
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL