Author Topic: Need some suggestions!  (Read 4938 times)

February 12, 2005, 09:51:09 PM
Read 4938 times

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Ok, so basically a good friend of mine got me intrested in the rpg "Fable" but it's for Xbox and I don;t have t3h xbox and would prefer an online rpg, then my cousin was telling me about Starwars galaxies and that caught my attention, but after he explained all of the cool things and details he finally tells me its 15 dollars a month, and I for one hate Pay 2 Play games so that was a total turnoff to that game. So I come to you fellow LM'ers for some good suggestions on online rpgs

But to narrow some choices down ill add in some "musts" that it has :p

- Needs to be able to run smoothly on a 1.5ghz 512kb of SDRAM and a radeon9600xt vid card.

- No birds eye view rpgs such as the Diablo series ( great games and all, used to love em but i just have some sort of gripe with those, I really dont know why  :blink: )

- Has to have alot of people playing, I dont really wanna join a game with a dying community.

- Definetly can't be everquest  :p

- Needs to have some sort of system where you can choose a faction to join and fight other factions or something like that (just teams to join)

- Also needs to have some sort of huge world / planets/ galaxy with all types of different cool stuff so im not seeing the same places over and over.

ow that I basically cut out most rpgs and theres most likely only like... 2 choices I ncan really get out of this :-P   submit some feedback! <3

EDIT: So far i have AO
« Last Edit: February 12, 2005, 10:06:15 PM by Diablus »

February 13, 2005, 12:30:21 AM
Reply #1

Leaderz0rz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
World of Warcraft. Enough said. any idiot can pick it up and be killing spiders and bats in no time

February 13, 2005, 01:20:27 AM
Reply #2

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
yesssss, join me in Ao diablus :)

and as i mentioned before, kotor2 is a nice single player rpg :)
-_^

February 13, 2005, 06:29:52 AM
Reply #3

Zero7

• Legacy Admin
  • Fade

• View Profile
Aye, WoW is good if you play with mates, Kotor 2 is also good.

You can also try Guild Wars, MMO, one time fee (when you buy the box), no monthly fee. StoneToad has it, and he's been waiting for me to get it too so we can play together. :) (It also has WoW kinda PvP, for the warrior at least, AFAIK. So if you don't want to pay the monthly WoW fee, go with the poor man's Guild Wars  ^_^)

Star Wars Galaxies sucks complete ass
I played it for the better part for like 9 months, or a year and 5 months, can't remember what year it was released ;x 2003 or 2004. Prolly 2004, so about 9 months. It's possible to grind just about every class (not sure about the Jump to Lightspeed classes) in a couple days (3 Days for ANY class, tops). And the new method of reaching Jedi is quite the suck (not to mention everyone and their mother is a Jedi now). Cancelled my account in December.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2005, 06:32:45 AM by Zero7 »
... *Sigh* When I Get A Sig That's NOT Consider Fan Service, I'll Put It Here
Winnar ! (Knives)
Poofle Pwn!

February 13, 2005, 09:47:24 AM
Reply #4

Plaguebearer

• Gorge

• View Profile
Heh.  SWG is so easy to grind classes, and then you realise that even though you're a Master Asskicker, you still can get ganked pretty easily.

And then you realise that once you're up to Master Asskicker and Master Crotchlicker, with a couple levels of First Aid, you're all out of skill points, and there's nothing else to do in the game.
God, I'm old.

February 13, 2005, 02:15:06 PM
Reply #5

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Neverwinter Nights?

Free online, you just need to find a good persistent world. Thats generally the hard part.

Failing that, if you get a few friends you can always just do cooperative play.

Currently I'm idling on an adventure with one of my friends, we try to get through an hour of it whenever we have the time. Its pretty cheap now with all the expansions included, so consider it.

If you want factions, etc, then you WILL need a persistent world and a group of decent DMs. Such things are scarce, but as I say, you might wish to consider it.

And no I don't consider this a birds eye RPG because you can switch the camera angle to something more free.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

February 13, 2005, 02:27:27 PM
Reply #6

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://
Ok, so basically a good friend of mine got me intrested in the rpg "Fable" but it's for Xbox and I don;t have t3h xbox and would prefer an online rpg, then my cousin was telling me about Starwars galaxies and that caught my attention, but after he explained all of the cool things and details he finally tells me its 15 dollars a month, and I for one hate Pay 2 Play games so that was a total turnoff to that game. So I come to you fellow LM'ers for some good suggestions on online rpgs

But to narrow some choices down ill add in some "musts" that it has :p

- Needs to be able to run smoothly on a 1.5ghz 512kb of SDRAM and a radeon9600xt vid card.

- No birds eye view rpgs such as the Diablo series ( great games and all, used to love em but i just have some sort of gripe with those, I really dont know why  :blink: )

- Has to have alot of people playing, I dont really wanna join a game with a dying community.

- Definetly can't be everquest  :p

- Needs to have some sort of system where you can choose a faction to join and fight other factions or something like that (just teams to join)

- Also needs to have some sort of huge world / planets/ galaxy with all types of different cool stuff so im not seeing the same places over and over.

ow that I basically cut out most rpgs and theres most likely only like... 2 choices I ncan really get out of this :-P   submit some feedback! <3

EDIT: So far i have AO
[snapback]40520[/snapback]

World of Warcraft. Enough said. any idiot can pick it up and be killing spiders and bats in no time
[snapback]40524[/snapback]

yes WoW is good but as diablus said he doesn't want to pay $15 a month for a game even i do know there are prepaid 60 day cards for it that cost like $30
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

February 13, 2005, 02:36:44 PM
Reply #7

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
guild wars, if i hear corectly you pay one time to buy the box and thats all

February 18, 2005, 02:31:04 AM
Reply #8

Nooblet

• Legacy Admin
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://www.gorgerush.net
Try Priston Tale its a entertaining fun little game thats free up untill level 39, max level in the game is 100. Kinda resembles LBs Old Crach Addiction(iRO)

http://www.pristontale.com/

There is also Infantry Online which is one of the best games ever made! Its free to an extent. You can play but you have a random handle and nothing is saved when you logout. Cap the Flag is the best.

http://infantry.station.sony.com/en/main.jsp

Then there is Shattered Galaxy which is a Sci-fi Stratagy game. It's free to an extent. Awsome classic strat.

http://www.sgalaxy.com/
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 02:37:33 AM by Nooblet »
Pissing DHP off one sig at a time.
Breaking the respect rule are we? *rolls up sleeves* - DHP
DHP, I love you.

February 18, 2005, 09:48:39 AM
Reply #9

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
The type of RPG you are describing, diablus, is a MMORPG. The only MMORPG that isn't Pay to Play is GuildWars.

Although NWN on a persistent world server is pretty close.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

February 18, 2005, 11:48:42 AM
Reply #10

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
The type of RPG you are describing, diablus, is a MMORPG. The only MMORPG that isn't Pay to Play is GuildWars.

Although NWN on a persistent world server is pretty close.
[snapback]40992[/snapback]

Except:

1) I highly doubt you can really call Guild Wars as much an MMORPG as the others.

2) NWN uses 3rd edition D&D rules which :DING BLOW.

February 18, 2005, 11:56:52 AM
Reply #11

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
assuming the 3rd person birds eye view peeve you have is more a Hack and Slash peeve.... then go check out Fallout 1 and 2, some of the old D&D RPG games.... that is games such as Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment.

these aren't multiplayer RPGs...these are Singleplayer...though you can probably play some multiplayer in some of the D&D games.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 11:58:48 AM by Dirty Harry Potter »

this is the .44 Wand, the most powerful wand in the world, so did I fire 5 or 6 fireballs? Now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?

February 19, 2005, 02:44:34 AM
Reply #12

Nooblet

• Legacy Admin
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://www.gorgerush.net
Planescape omg awsome!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2005, 02:44:46 AM by Nooblet »
Pissing DHP off one sig at a time.
Breaking the respect rule are we? *rolls up sleeves* - DHP
DHP, I love you.

February 19, 2005, 05:18:43 AM
Reply #13

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
I know you are looking for online multiplayer, but now that it has been brought up, the fallout series are a must play for any type of RPG nut.  They literally define a genre of RPGing that hasn't come close to being touched by any other series or developer ever.  Increadible games.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

February 22, 2005, 06:39:54 PM
Reply #14

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Then there is Shattered Galaxy which is a Sci-fi Stratagy game. It's free to an extent. Awsome classic strat.

http://www.sgalaxy.com/

yea I loved that game, then after 3 months or something they wiped all my data out until I decided to buy it... </3

February 22, 2005, 08:06:46 PM
Reply #15

Zero7

• Legacy Admin
  • Fade

• View Profile
Diablus, let's get together sometime and play some Shattered Galaxy. I remember betaing that game when I was but a tiny child.
... *Sigh* When I Get A Sig That's NOT Consider Fan Service, I'll Put It Here
Winnar ! (Knives)
Poofle Pwn!

February 23, 2005, 05:23:38 PM
Reply #16

[JFF]Kirby

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
well you missed your chance to get a year of anarchy only free... so i guess thats out....

if you have a ps2 and some controlers and good friends get champions of norath... its 4 players so i imagine if you have a multitap you can do that.. its also got online play but i dont know how that works...

it doesnt really match all you described.. its basically 1-4 geeky people doin quests.. but its fun as hell.

February 23, 2005, 05:25:43 PM
Reply #17

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
actually Kirby I signed up and everything, then when I tried installing the game from the .rar file my comp b0rked up repeatidly and would install and launch a new sony vaio Demo of the system :blink:

it did this repeatidly, so my comp owned me >_<

February 23, 2005, 05:58:16 PM
Reply #18

Shoe Event Horizon

• Lerker

• View Profile
Well, at the risk of sounding like I'm stuck in the '80s, I'm gonna recommend a text-based MUD.  There's not so much eye candy as these new-fangled games like WoW, but you can play for free, and if you find the right one, the game design can be really great.  Personally, I play Medievia, which is probably one of the more populus ones out there.  It has a bit of a learning curve, but you play NS so you should be use to that  :p