Author Topic: Something I've long suspected  (Read 2549 times)

January 31, 2005, 04:39:32 PM
Read 2549 times

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
What do y'all think? Open Source Software really does seem to consistently push out some ATROCIOUS UI. The only OSS that I know of that isn't complete crap to work with is Firefox and T-bird. Are there any OSS that's acutally somewhat easy to learn/use?

Photoshop>Gimp
IntelliJ>Eclipse
Invision>phpBB
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

January 31, 2005, 05:25:32 PM
Reply #1

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
not exactly one of the mysteries of the universe there, OSSers just prioritize functionality over ease of use and learning curve, where as commercial developers usually of do the opposite, and then support functionality after the fact.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

January 31, 2005, 06:51:41 PM
Reply #2

DruBo

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• Personal Text
    Back in Beige
    • View Profile
GAIM has a good interface.

And there's lots of non-ported linux software with excellent interfaces.

There's also a lot of crap, but there's a lot of crap windows software too.

January 31, 2005, 08:16:07 PM
Reply #3

Nuketheplace

• Reserved Slot
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
I have 2 words for you Open Office.  I love it, I don't think I'll go back to using word.

January 31, 2005, 08:49:05 PM
Reply #4

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Tis just the nature of the beast I think. You have to look at the reason why people who write these programs do what they do. Commercial developers write to make money. You make money by being as attractive as possible to the greatest number of people. And the fact is that a majority of the people in the world care more about things like ease of use and pretty interfaces than about powerful functionality.

On the other hand, open source developers are writing code for themselves and no one else. The oss mantra is pretty much 'this is what I like, and if you wanna mess around with it too, feel free'. There's nothing wrong with either of these approaches, and comparing them is an exercise in futility, because they're just not even working in the same worlds. This is why the hordes of sweaty geeks posting on slashdot "Micro$oft sucks! Linux will rule the world!" need to put up or shut up. Sure linux et al. are attractive to a limited segment of technical people, but without a lot of polish and simplification of basic functions, it's not going to ever amount to anything that the huge mom and pop and granny segment are going to use. And the very nature of open source software means that there can't ever be a monetary reward, and thus no reason to shine up the software to attract mom and pop. Oh what a painful and twisted world we live in!

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

February 01, 2005, 08:50:08 AM
Reply #5

Black Mage

• Reserved Slot
  • HA Marine

• Personal Text
    Welcome to the Real World.
    • View Profile
    • bmDOTorg

February 01, 2005, 09:28:51 AM
Reply #6

devicenull

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• View Profile
I like phpbb's interface better then invisions, and gimp is a bit better then photoshop.. but the interface really doesn't matter to me too much.. I much prefer a commandline over a nice gui ;)

You can't beat openoffice.org though.

Nuke>
   7.  Why should we say "OpenOffice.org" instead of simply "OpenOffice"?

The trademark for "OpenOffice" belongs to someone else. Therefore we must use "OpenOffice.org" when referring to this open source project and its software.
Right out of the FAQ ;)

February 01, 2005, 09:01:43 PM
Reply #7

Fewlio

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
but without a lot of polish and simplification of basic functions, it's not going to ever amount to anything that the huge mom and pop and granny segment are going to use.
[snapback]39704[/snapback]
Then why does Apple have such a small userbase? I mean, Windows is tough because the simplification of everything makes it MORE complicated, while Macs have everything just sitting right in front of you with a big pretty button.

I reveal penis I know psychology.

February 02, 2005, 09:59:24 AM
Reply #8

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
but without a lot of polish and simplification of basic functions, it's not going to ever amount to anything that the huge mom and pop and granny segment are going to use.
[snapback]39704[/snapback]
Then why does Apple have such a small userbase? I mean, Windows is tough because the simplification of everything makes it MORE complicated, while Macs have everything just sitting right in front of you with a big pretty button.
[snapback]39775[/snapback]

Two words babay:

Game z0rs.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

February 02, 2005, 02:34:54 PM
Reply #9

Isamil

• Onos

• View Profile
I hate the phbBB interface.