Author Topic: You are allowed to...  (Read 8444 times)

February 01, 2005, 06:21:34 PM
Reply #20

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
I ahte wehn comms waste ammo and health packs on me when Im alone agaisnt skulks. id rather die killing an rt then come back and finish it, then have the comm waste 10 res that could help us win the game

February 03, 2005, 02:17:46 AM
Reply #21

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Why not use the ammo and meds to kill the skulks? Then kill the RT, then move move on? Why bother dying at all?

Every single person can aim, maybe not well, but everyone can. I'd put money that you're probably playing with default crosshairs and a sensitivity of 16ish. With the right sens and crosshairs you'll see your aim improve drastically and it's more fun to kill skulks than it is to die to them.

<3 BenjamiN/Benny/MrBen - Washed up clanner, ex-contributor and forum troll.
#lessthanthree on qnet

February 03, 2005, 07:14:11 AM
Reply #22

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
What's wrong with default crosshairs and 15 sens?

February 03, 2005, 11:33:31 AM
Reply #23

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
The default crosshairs are very big and misleading. The lmg spread is smaller than the LMG crosshair implies so you might think you're hitting when really you're miles off. The same applies to both the pistol (no spread, but the whole circular crap can be misleading), hmg and the shotgun. I use custom crosshairs for all my weapons and when I changed I saw a significant improvement in my aim.

The crosshairs are for more accurate and you know if it's on the alien and you're shooting then you're hitting. Furthermore i find they obsecure my screen less. I remember when i played with the default crosshairs again and i found i couldn't see things very well. I did have a pack of crosshairs uploaded but my site is down unfortunately.

High sensitivities are just in general a bad thing as they make it harder to track. Even slight movements can lead to your curser being no where near the alien and makes it harder to control. Back when i first started on LM i played with a sensitivity of about 16 but now i'm on 2.8. Skulks, particularly at distance do not appear to move as much on your screen and a lower sensitivity with more controlled actions you'll find tracking far easier.

Just in general you'll find tracking easier if you drop your sensitivity. I've been slowly dropping it till i found something i was comfortable with and i've settled in 2.8. I find i'm able to move my mouse at a speed fast enough to track anything on NS with controlled movements. Any higher and i found i was having to compensate for moving the mouse too far and was often trailing behind or infront of the skulk. If this was the case i'd tweak i sens accordingly.

I'm not saying you should drop that low, this was the result of 4 months of competitive NS, tweaking the sens god knows how many times and a lot of evaluating of my own play. Whilst my drop in sens helped improve my aim i also improved my reflexes within the game and my NS brain. For experimental purposes though i'd recommend cutting your sens in half or to a number like 7 and seeing how it goes.

You have to stay open minded and be willing to play with it for a while but i'm confident you'll understand the advantages of it after you give it a go :)

#lessthanthree on qnet

February 03, 2005, 11:59:18 AM
Reply #24

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Any chance of linkage to those custom crosshairs? I saw "true crosshairs" in the custom forums at one point but was a bit unsure as to their reliability... and at the time I never really played marine anyway..
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

February 03, 2005, 01:39:15 PM
Reply #25

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
As soon as my sight goes up i can link to them. I have the following:

lmg: a small white square, pretty much the size of the lmgs more accurate cone of fire.
Pistol: Just a white dot. You point, you click, you shoot.
Shotgun: 5 dots, each where the 5 main pellets from a shotgun blast will go.
HMG: Just a small blue cross. Point and click et voila
Knife: Same as HMG.

+ swipe, blink, parasite and bite all have a small yellow cross.

#lessthanthree on qnet

February 03, 2005, 02:21:18 PM
Reply #26

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I'll give you the crosshairs, but I find low sensitivities to be horrible and unplayable. Sens 15 worked fine for me in 2.01, I just can't track skulks very well anymore.

February 03, 2005, 03:07:00 PM
Reply #27

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
As soon as my sight goes up i can link to them. I have the following:

lmg: a small white square, pretty much the size of the lmgs more accurate cone of fire.
Pistol: Just a white dot. You point, you click, you shoot.
Shotgun: 5 dots, each where the 5 main pellets from a shotgun blast will go.
HMG: Just a small blue cross. Point and click et voila
Knife: Same as HMG.

+ swipe, blink, parasite and bite all have a small yellow cross.
[snapback]39915[/snapback]

I've never understood why the default crosshairs don't actually reflect things that are useful, like spread and such. I mean, they are pretty and all, but after a while, you just wanna know if your shots are hitting.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

February 03, 2005, 04:11:37 PM
Reply #28

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Isn't sensitivity a thing also influenced by your mouse + window configuration?
My sensitivity of 20 (made up), moving the mouse 1 cm, could possibly move your crosshair less than with your sensetivity of 2.8, moving the mouse 1 cm. It depends on your other settings.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld

February 03, 2005, 04:52:19 PM
Reply #29

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Isn't sensitivity a thing also influenced by your mouse + window configuration?
My sensitivity of 20 (made up), moving the mouse 1 cm, could possibly move your crosshair less than with your sensetivity of 2.8, moving the mouse 1 cm. It depends on your other settings.
[snapback]39927[/snapback]
Ya, but most people leave thier windows sensitivity around the same average.  I play with my sensitivity extreamly low, one centemeter of mouse movement for me is about 2-2.5 cm's of onscreen movement.  I've been in that habit ever since I practiced sniping in CS and DoD, it makes tracking increadibly easy and allows you to essentially chose the pixle you are firing down manually with extream precision.  Obviously you're reaction speed suffers a little, expecially at first, but soon you learn to just flash farther distances, and with practice you will knotice a fair bit of play improvement all around.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

February 04, 2005, 09:36:58 AM
Reply #30

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
My windows sens is maxed out. I don't like having to muscle my mouse all over the desktop.

February 04, 2005, 11:01:41 AM
Reply #31

fatty

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
saltzbad sent me some nice crosshairs. i believe they are called "meb's" crosshairs.

February 04, 2005, 11:40:40 AM
Reply #32

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I think the ones in the Custom forum were along the lines of red dots.

But I never really got my hands on them. Besides, a lot of the stuff floating around the custom forum isnt what its cracked up to be. It'd be good to have crosshairs that are tried and tested by a clanner, someone who isn't likely to be using a bugged set of xhairs.

February 05, 2005, 04:46:14 AM
Reply #33

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Ok, I'll bite and bump my sens down to 8 and see what happens. Maybe I can up it again if my aim gets better.

February 05, 2005, 07:14:18 AM
Reply #34

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Ok, I'll bite and bump my sens down to 8 and see what happens. Maybe I can up it again if my aim gets better.
[snapback]40059[/snapback]
Stick with it as long as possible, the goal here is to end up with the most amount of precision control as possible without having the sensitivity low to the point that it frustrates normal turning ability in any action.  As one full mousepad sweep gives you more than 1080 degrees of turn you should be just above the minimum you can handle before it just get's really annoying to play with.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

February 05, 2005, 01:04:34 PM
Reply #35

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Mouse sensitivity, change this in HL then yes?

February 05, 2005, 02:35:28 PM
Reply #36

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Alright, fine, DAMN YOU, I'll hand you lower sens as well. I lowered my sens to 8 and promptly made second place in a co map. But you still suck. >_<

February 05, 2005, 08:50:43 PM
Reply #37

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I actually had to raise mine, it was set to 5. Still, I find it a good improvement!!

Well found!

February 06, 2005, 05:47:11 AM
Reply #38

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
When i went through my whole sens tweaking i'd demo all my marine rounds and then watch them with viewdemo. When i found myself shooting i'd drop the speed down to 1/4 so i could see clearly whetever or not i was over compensating and tracking too far ahead (IE sens too high) or was tracking behind (sens too low). I'd then make minor adjustments off that.

Most of the time i found though that i was tracking ahead of the skulk or that i'd move my mouse too much and not be anywhere near the skulk at all. Once i got down to about 3 i was feeling comfortable and then just slowly dropped it to 2.8 and now i've settled.

I found 2.8 was too low a sensitivity to fade with though so i setup two configs. Marine.cfg and alien.cfg

http://mrben.thezazi.net/gubbins/config.zip - my setup is here. My userconfig includes binds that when joining the team via F1 or F2 executes the approiate config.

http://mrben.thezazi.net/gubbins/crosshairs.zip - my crosshairs. I'd recommend backing up your sprites folder extracting this zip to it incase you're not happy with them.

#lessthanthree on qnet

February 06, 2005, 10:00:51 AM
Reply #39

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I look forward to using this xhairs.

Config wise, I've always been using just the same one, but perhaps its time I tried a two config setup.

Lol, aimbot config, hilarity.