Author Topic: Musical Influences  (Read 6208 times)

January 28, 2005, 01:15:17 PM
Read 6208 times

rad4Christ

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
    • http://
I post alot in IRC link to bands I listen to, music I like. I can't help it, music is a big part of my time. I thought we should start a thread dedicated to those lesser known artists that you really think are worth a listen. It can be any genre, but please provide links to artists (or even labels) where they can actually be listened to.

I guess I'll start. Before I post any links though, understand I am not trying to "evangelize" with this. Some artists are indeed Christian bands, others may not be, but I am providing these links b/c of the music, not the message. Please give these artists equal weight before dismissing them. Open mindedness and all that...

Electronica (SynthPop):
Joy Electric[/i] - WebPage - Ronnie Martin, considered by most to be the cutting edge in his field, has been putting out record since the early nineties.
Elkland[/i] (formerly Goat Explosion) - WebPage - Great sound, reminiscent of some great synth
The September Equation[/i] - WebPage
Soviet[/i] - WebPage - A Personal favorite, really great energy, fun concerts as well.
Travelogue[/i] - WebPage - Only have one song from them, but it's smart and melodic. Very well worth the listen.

Indie Rock/Pop:
Starflyer59[/i] - WebPage - Brother of Ronnie Martin, Jason Martin and SF59 have really evolved their sound as an influential artist over the last 10 years. Well worth a listen, you may quickly become an avid fan.
Pedro The Lion[/i] - WebPage - By far my favorite artist, his simplistic music style combined with his brutally honest lyrics of human life, religion, and relationships, David Bazen is an absolute genius as an artist.

Harder stuff:
Demon Hunter[/i] - WebPage - Definitely my favorite hardcore artist, DH has made a wave. It's on the RE: Apocolypse Soundtrack, but the melodies and crushing guitar mixed with the heavy drums (by Jesse Sprinkle, personal favorite) makes this an awesome sound.
Showbread[/i] - WebPage - Just ran into this band about a month ago, but the energy they exert in their music (and in concert) is unbelievable, and reminiscent to good old rock. Check these guys out, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Record Labels:
Velvet Blue Music[/i] - WebPage - Run by Jeff Cloud, the backup for Ronnie Martin of Joy Electric, and guitarist of Starflyer59, this label has a great varietu of indie music.
Tooth And Nail[/i] - WebPage - The label JE and SF59 are signed to, I've been a dihard fan of most of what they've released. Based out of Seattle, this label has produced some of the best overall artists to date IMO.
Solid State Records[/i] - WebPage - A sublabel of T&N, this is for the hardcore and emocore fans. Showbread and Demon Hunter are just some of the artists on this label.
Deep Elm Records[/i] - WebPage - Originally discovered this label with Brandtson, this label has some really great artists, most falling into the "emo" category. I'd recommend Brandtson, Planes Mistaken for Stars, Appleseed Cast, muckafurgason, and this beautiful mess.

Browse, listen, post your thoughts, but most importantly, expand your music library. Add some for me and others to check out.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2005, 01:22:45 PM by [mmi]rad4Christ »
tim
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important. CS Lewis

SheenaYanai
: why do i have to be a stone? i dont want to be a stone... i want to do some harm.... can i be a exploding stone at least?

January 28, 2005, 02:16:07 PM
Reply #1

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
The only one I really know anything about is Demon Hunter. I heard the song off of the RE: Apocalypse soundtrack and it wasn't too bad at all.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

January 28, 2005, 03:09:10 PM
Reply #2

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
ill be sure to check them all out :) my music tastes span in every possible known direction... i'd post some links but theres too much good stuff out there...

and im lazy. i'll post stuff after dinner  ^_^

OK time for some random tuneskis:

Apocalyptica: Web Site - Basically... some good metal with cello, some of the coolest stuff i've seen.. so its like classic+metal. One of their first albums was "Apocalyptica plays Metallica in 4 Cello" so its the 4 guys playing metallica songs on cellos, its really amazing.

Celldweller: Web Site - Industrial/Metal/Technoey music?? I guess thats the category it seems to be for me. One of the best industrial bands i've found.

I'll post more when I get off my arse.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2005, 04:12:22 PM by Anarki3x6 »
-_^

January 29, 2005, 10:16:05 AM
Reply #3

AzubahF

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://www.unclebigtime.com
Slick Idiot -- Industrial / Metal band, formed by 2 ex members of KMFDM (another industrial band, that used to be good until the 2 guys quit to form slick idiot)

Gary Numan -- Industrial / Synth god Gary Numan (you know, the guy who made that cool "cars" song way back in 1980?)... still making albums and still ahead of his time after 25+ years

Uncle Big Time -- ok so I'm a whore... my band... Industrial / Metal

January 29, 2005, 11:23:36 AM
Reply #4

Mr.Bill

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
Dream Theater I'm sure some of you have heard of Dream theater, I think the best way to put their style is Rock opera, it's like mettalica, but better, in every way. and I don't even like metalica!

Hows my comming? PM!

For the win

January 29, 2005, 12:53:14 PM
Reply #5

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
:o nice AzubahF, that slick idiot band is great, and I especially LOVE KMFDM

Dream Theater is also nice mrbill, nice music :)

edit: im dumb and dont know how to spell theater correctly.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2005, 12:55:10 PM by Anarki3x6 »
-_^

January 29, 2005, 10:38:09 PM
Reply #6

Bait-Boy

• Lerker

• View Profile
Personally, I have music from System Shock 2 playing on windows media player
 ^_^

January 29, 2005, 11:24:04 PM
Reply #7

EmperorPenguin

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
I always liked Joy Electric, though I haven't played my stuff in a while.  I heard Unelectric was actually a great album Rad?

Oh, and thanks for beating me to the punch with Apocalyptica, Anarki.  Reflections and Cult are both fantastic albums.  Many of you will probably find their Metallica covers more enjoyable than the original.  Unforgiven, for example, is really good.
"What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby?  Maybe we'll never know."

January 30, 2005, 09:24:27 AM
Reply #8

Owen

• Skulk

• View Profile
ELECTRONICA
The Prodigy
Juno Reactor
These two have been left off for a while, and I'm very certain that alot of people have chosen to forget how good they are, Prodigy in particular with the newest album having low sales, but having a really good sound IMO

INDIE
Kasabian
The Unicorns
The Zutons
Stutterfly (I think they count as more Indie than Emo)
Badly Drawn Boy (again, more Indie than Emo)
Some are up and coming, Some have just made it, others are struggling to keep it.

HARDER STUFF
Truth or Dare
Firestar
Life Support
Orgy

« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 09:37:32 AM by Owen »

January 31, 2005, 09:55:34 AM
Reply #9

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
THE. TRAGICALLY. HIP.[/size]
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

January 31, 2005, 12:12:02 PM
Reply #10

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Danu - One of the best Irish bands in the world. Closes the show every year at the Dublin, OH Irish festival, the best Irish festival in the world outside of Ireland.

Nickel Creek - Awesome Irish band, more poppy than Danu, with a mandolin that's just plain scary.

Yankee Celtic Consort - Local Irish band that can hold it's own with some of the better ones.

Hmm, lets see...

Dreamtheatre, hell yes.

Jethro Tull - Plays standing on one foot. How cool is that.

James Taylor - A bit more country, but if you're a fan of that acoustic guitar crap ( :D ) you might want to check him out.

January 31, 2005, 04:09:09 PM
Reply #11

DruBo

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• Personal Text
    Back in Beige
    • View Profile
Legionnaired: I've been told I look like a younger James Taylor.

Anyway, here goes.

Jawbreaker: Mid-90s indie rock band sometimes unfairly credited with the invention of emo. (They're much better than that.) Broken up since '96 but with 4 studio albums, 1 live album, and one b-sides collection there's plenty of them to occupy. BobTheJanitor is also a fan if I recall.

David Byrne: Former Talking Heads frontman. Brilliantly odd lyricist.

February 01, 2005, 03:50:02 PM
Reply #12

AzubahF

• Skulk

• View Profile
Sulpher -- Industrial / Metal band feat. members of Gary Numan's current live lineup... reminicent of old school Ministry

Alternative Tentacles -- Record label run by Jello Biafra, the original singer for Dead Kennedys.  Features lots of cool artists, and lots of Jello's side projects and spoken word stuff.  Check out LARD under the bands section... one of the coolest bands ever, basically a collaboration between Jello and Ministry.

February 01, 2005, 03:53:00 PM
Reply #13

DruBo

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• Personal Text
    Back in Beige
    • View Profile
Bwahahaha Jello Biafra. He's crazy.

You know the "reunited" DKs have a robot drummer now.

February 01, 2005, 05:42:16 PM
Reply #14

Iconoclast

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Jethro Tull - Plays standing on one foot. How cool is that.

[snapback]39662[/snapback]

Jethro Tull <3, flute ftw

The original 'metal' band.  ^_^ - aqualung is probably one of my favorite songs.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 05:43:00 PM by Iconoclast »

February 01, 2005, 11:04:35 PM
Reply #15

AzubahF

• Skulk

• View Profile
robot drummer?  drum machine or something?  the reunited dead kennedys are a bunch of BS.  they play shows and use old pics of the band on their promotions to make people think Jello is back with them.  he's been screwed out of a lot of royalties too.

but yeah, Jello is pretty sweet.

February 02, 2005, 02:00:12 PM
Reply #16

-Lancer-

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
metal (mostly from the 80's)
Motley Crue
Scorpions
Metallica
Skid Row

Rock(also mostly from the 80's)
Bon Jovi
Aerosmith

I also listen to alot of hip-hop, but i know its not a popular music around LM so i won't bore you guys by naming rappers

Apocalyptica: Web Site - Basically... some good metal with cello, some of the coolest stuff i've seen.. so its like classic+metal. One of their first albums was "Apocalyptica plays Metallica in 4 Cello" so its the 4 guys playing metallica songs on cellos, its really amazing.

Arent they a Metalica tribute band?

February 02, 2005, 06:24:10 PM
Reply #17

Keyser59

• Gorge

• View Profile
Jethro Tull, Rush, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Bad Company, Boston, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman brothers, Jeff Beck, Cream.

Although all these guys are pretty mainstream, they're not as popular as they used to be. They're more tailgating material, since the accepted steady dose of rap and country is used in parties nowadays. I still rock out to them though.  ^_^

EDIT: Please don't use indie as a genre. There is no sound that really define what Indie is, and it has been used way too ambiguously. The first thing I think of when I hear Indie is guitar pop, so more specific genres can be applied folks.  :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 06:37:56 PM by Keyser59 »

February 02, 2005, 07:49:09 PM
Reply #18

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
MOTION CITY SOUNDTRACK

SUBLIME

AUDIOSLAVE

SOUNDGARDEN

Soundgarden is my all time favorite anything ever. Even more fun than an evening with Bill and Archi on the server... I looooooooove my Soundgarden.

February 02, 2005, 08:39:16 PM
Reply #19

Iconoclast

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Jethro Tull, Rush, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Bad Company, Boston, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman brothers, Jeff Beck, Cream.

Although all these guys are pretty mainstream, they're not as popular as they used to be. They're more tailgating material, since the accepted steady dose of rap and country is used in parties nowadays. I still rock out to them though.  ^_^

[snapback]39840[/snapback]

Aye, I could add a few more to that list as well. Probably some of the best music exist in the classic rock genre. My friends always kid me about listeneing to "your parents music" - insert rant here.  <_<