Author Topic: Oh Noes!  (Read 2413 times)

January 02, 2005, 08:01:47 PM
Read 2413 times

Zero7

• Legacy Admin
  • Fade

• View Profile
Arrr! It has seem that I have run into some "technical" problems with my computers. As such I won't be around for a while, probably.

The Problem
*Cue Dramatic Music*

My main computer (the one I use for teh work and teh gaming) ran into some "hardware issues". To put it simply, the processor broke, it "exploded" if you will. I shall not speak more of this matter.

My secondary computer (the one I used to use for teh work and teh gaming but now use for small LANs and as a server more than anything now) just plain broke. T'was working fine a few days ago, but alas, soon after the main computer broke, so did mein secondary. It'll turn on, but nothing happens. Monitor is still dead and such. :(

My tertiary computer (the one I used when StarCraft came out and currently only use as a secondary storage/computer for the parentals) was formatted. Yea. There's 32 gigs of free space <3 happening on this thing. The monitor also sucks (it's dying very slowly, me thinks) as everything is all dark and stuff. I'm also too lazy to change monitors.

The... Goal?
Or Maybe "Solution-In-Progress"

My current main goal is to get the secondary computer up and running, as at least I can have some form of entertainment (mainly NS, WoW, teh music, and IRC). This is the current primary concern

My secondary goal is to replace the CPU for the main computer, but alas, this is not cheap. To get a replacement would cost me about $280-$350 CAD. However, the likelihood of this happening in the near future (couple days) is EXTREMELY unlikely. I do not foresee much opportunity to replace the CPU (P4 3.2C). It has been suggested I just go and get a better one, and I was considering this, but then I'd have to go out and grab a better mobo/ram sticks. But I digress, this is besides the point. Switching CPUs/grabbing a better one is basically out of the question (it would simply cost too much, and I'd have to get all bothered about shopping around and deciding on a new chip, which would probably be an AMD).

The So-Called "Twist"
But Not Really

However, on the flipside. I have been rather neglecting academics lately in pursuit of entertainment, fame, and general asshattery. The lack of a "fully fuctional" computer has given me the opportunity to redeem myself of this. At a pivotal time as well. Exams approach and will occur on the last week of January, IIRC. I might be wrong and they're on the third week. Meh. So I'm left now with the ability to significantly rectify the current academic situation.

The Others
I Like To Call Them "The 5th Wheel"

I happened to acquire a PS2 over the holidays, and have been playing that as well. While I do find it entertaining, it does tend to get VERY boring after a while. However, while it is not boring, it gets extremely "addictive" and burns up all the time I SHOULD be using for schoolwork. And when it gets boring, no longer do I feel that I have the "energy" to do said schoolwork. I also only have 3 games for the PS2 currently. Not that big of a problem, as two are RPGs. One being Star Ocean: Till The End Of Time, which was fun, until I got to the point where it's basically "open" (I can travel "anywhere". Yay?) and everything was kinda easy and didn't give good rewards (that's not to say the bosses weren't easy beforehand  <_<). The other RPG being Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. Rather bland RPG for solo-play. I much prefer using it for when I'm entertaining a solitary guest, but even then, it gets tiring. The final game I have is Soul Calibur 2. Fun game, to me, it's like DoA for the PS2. Simply because you see teh panties. However, this too got old very quickly as the "Weapon Master" aspect of the game is really bloody hard now. I use it when entertaining solitary/multiple guests. Let them beat the game for me. Everybody wins.

Plea For Help
Or A Desperate Cry For Attention. Or Something... Or Maybe Where YOU Come In

I'm rather at a loss for a solution here. I could do one of several things.
1) Get the new CPU going. Lose Lots Of Money.
2) Fix the secondary computer and use it to tide me over until otherwise.
3) Don't do anything and "concentrate" on schoolwork. (Though this is unlikely as I'd probably just end up watching TV all the time. *shrugs*)
4) Other.

Other is if you have an alternative solution. I myself have an alternative solution. Fix the secondary, and do the whole school thing. As I've done before (before WoW and HL2 came out, I had quite the schedule going). Also, if you know of any fixes I could use, please tell me so. My only current possible way of replacing my broken CPU is to wait for some kind of sale or go hunting on RFD for a used one. And the latter doesn't happen very often, if at all.

Cliff Notes
You Lazy Muh...

1) My Primary AND Secondary Computer Are Broken.
Primary Computer: Broken CPU
Secondary Computer: Doesn't Boot. (I turn it on and the monitor is still dead. Yes, everything is hooked up correctly AND yes, I've tested this using another monitor AND another video card and a combination thereof. ¬_¬)

2) My Tertiary Computer Is NOT "Fully-Fuctional" As A Means Of Entertainment.

3) Possibly This Is All A Blessing In Disguise? Exams Approach In Either The Third
Or Final Week of January.

4) Or Not A Blessing. I Have A PS2 With "Addicting" Games That Leave Me Too "Burned Out" For Schoolwork.

5) I Need YOUR Help, Whether This Be
a) Knowing Of Any Ways Of Obtaining A Replacement CPU For "Cheap" (Cheap Meaning Cheaper Than The Price Range I Had of $280-$350 CAD)
Or
b) Knowing Of A Fix For The Secondary Computer.

6) No Profit :(

What Say You?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2005, 08:15:04 PM by Zero7 »
... *Sigh* When I Get A Sig That's NOT Consider Fan Service, I'll Put It Here
Winnar ! (Knives)
Poofle Pwn!

January 02, 2005, 11:33:47 PM
Reply #1

@gentOrange

• Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
Well first of all I need you to help me with the dungeon on the second planet in star ocean. I love this god damn game but I'm stick in this dungeon because I only get 2 partay members.

I say go all out and get a new cpu, I am currently saving to build a new computer and it's going to suck to part with all that money, but it's a very worthwhile cause.

School....wo...rk?
Sig size too big, 22kb is the max size, yours is 28kb - DHP

January 03, 2005, 02:23:40 AM
Reply #2

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
You could always downgrade to a slower than 3.2 pentium and save the money for a major upgrade to that PC at some point when it might be more affordable...
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

January 03, 2005, 02:48:27 AM
Reply #3

Leaderz0rz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
on the second computer, do the fans spin up or noit?

January 03, 2005, 08:39:27 AM
Reply #4

Zero7

• Legacy Admin
  • Fade

• View Profile
AO: Oi, I'll be damned if I can remember what dungeon that is, you're gonna need to elaborate a bit more on it ;x (Location, details, general info)

SwiftSpear: This is true. Also plausible. I'll consider doing so.

Leaderz0rz: The fans do spin up.
... *Sigh* When I Get A Sig That's NOT Consider Fan Service, I'll Put It Here
Winnar ! (Knives)
Poofle Pwn!

January 03, 2005, 10:01:50 AM
Reply #5

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Zero, Try re-seating the RAM chips and expansion cards in the secondary, maybe that will get it to POST. Is there any hard drive activity?

January 03, 2005, 10:43:56 AM
Reply #6

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
first off, nice post

second off, don't touch the PS2 and hit the books.
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

January 03, 2005, 01:07:03 PM
Reply #7

Leaderz0rz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
if the fans spin up its not the psu, do you get any beeps, or does your mobo have an LED that is displaying a number?