Author Topic: Worst Map Ever...  (Read 13159 times)

November 01, 2004, 02:12:18 PM
Reply #60

Redford

• Legacy Admin
  • Gorge

• View Profile

November 03, 2004, 08:38:40 AM
Reply #61

Owen

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
lol... nice and simple there Reddeh... but still, I'm a real hater of the new bast... it makes me want to... damage my eyes

November 26, 2004, 09:25:40 AM
Reply #62

Crispy

• Skulk

• View Profile
For what it's worth, I've just seen a recent build of altair by KFDM and my main complaint about it: TOO BRIGHT! So it's really going through a lot of changes. He's definitely trying to fix up the lighting and make it as playable and enjoyable as possible. In fact, I don't think I can recall seeing a mapper this involved and active in improving their map.

Is that maybe because it's the worst map ever to be given official status. I really wonder about who playtested it (Hives, r_speeds which in some areas were ridiculous). I've read a lot about what's been changed but I still think the general look of the map is lacklustre in terms of brushwork and textures, the lighting's another matter.

I will say that it has a good atmosphere: original and involving, which is the one thing you need to get right from the very start of a new map. I'm also looking forward to seeing his sub world model get finished. It looks great but last thing I heard it still needed meshing and skinning.

I'll quote this because it made me laugh -lots- even if it was unintentional.

I would definitely like to see more of ns_altair.

My least favourite maps are as follows:
ns_altair explained above
ns_veil (a.k.a. ns_dblres) perhaps due to being overplayed, any round I play on this map gives me terrible deja vue...
ns_eclipse perhaps due to being overplayed, any round I play on this map gives me terrible deja vue...

Hate's a strong word but I come pretty close when I think about some of these areas:
ns_agora There's a section very close to Marine start that has an RT triangle that's very easily holdable...(ftw!)
ns_ayumi One Hive has only one Onos-friendly exit that gently slopes down to the most Marine-friendly siegepoint I've ever seen, with LoS to the Hive???!!!111
 -although my rage is usually dampened when I think about the vents and weldable areas, and then there's the blue and the brushwork...aaaah.

[Edit]I'm also glad that co_50mHivecamp was changed to eliminate the Hive LoS. It's now a very playable map (if the MS is a tad on the small side).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 09:27:42 AM by Crispy »
A lovely thing to see:
through the paper window's hole,
the Galaxy.

November 28, 2004, 02:13:18 AM
Reply #63

Avs

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
co_ava2 - because its so buggy, the sekret room isnt so secret (and its not so hot), teams are bugged, map is buggy...

the only thing its got going for it is the fact that the ready room is where all the skulks FFA on each other !
Avs

November 28, 2004, 11:51:26 PM
Reply #64

EmperorPenguin

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Based on aesthetics, I never really hated ns_altair all that much, and didn't mind the new bast (although it is worse than its predecessors).  I hate them now because of their tendency to empty out the server.  Not fun.
"What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby?  Maybe we'll never know."

November 30, 2004, 01:23:06 AM
Reply #65

Hopelessness

• Skulk

• STEAM_0:1:92284
    • View Profile
Agora, definitly. Not in terms of playability, as I'm not entirely sure which maps I'd consider unbalanced. I can't specifically place the problems I have with the map, but for one, it just seems rather large with nothing standing out. There are still some parts of the layout of that map that I don't know, compared to having pretty much every other map memorized. Metal falls into the same catagory. It just seems like an average map by an average mapper.

November 30, 2004, 09:23:42 AM
Reply #66

[Freemantle]

• Lerker

• View Profile
ns_altair and ns_bast for sure. The new Bast is just pales in comparison to its older versions, and altair should have been a combat map. I would love to hate the new ns_nancy, but all of my best ns memories come from that map and eclipse.
Your sig's dimensions are too big, max is 400x75, yours is 455x120. -DHP
[size=8]Why am I still playing this game?[/size]

December 07, 2004, 09:33:33 AM
Reply #67

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Eclipse is the most frustrating possible map for any habitual gorge.  I swear to God there isn't a single reasonably defendable resourse node for the aliens on the entire map.  That map feels more like a war or attrition then any other map in the intire game.  I'll play nancy over eclipse, I'll play bast over eclipse, I'll play agora over eclipse, hell I'll play CO maps over eclipse.

Actually, in all honesty I'm so withdrawn from being unable to play NS due to my damn ass crap university ISP that I would play even eclipse in a second and love doing it.
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

December 07, 2004, 11:36:53 AM
Reply #68

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Based on aesthetics, I never really hated ns_altair all that much, and didn't mind the new bast (although it is worse than its predecessors).  I hate them now because of their tendency to empty out the server.  Not fun.
[snapback]34485[/snapback]

^^

maps that empty server really kill my buzz  :angry:
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

December 19, 2004, 01:20:31 PM
Reply #69

2_of_8

• Marine

• View Profile
Probably ns_bast, because refinery hive is so huge!
And maybe eclipse, for no apparent reason.
Where lipstick is concerned, the important thing is not color, but to accept God's final word on where your lips end. - Jerry Seinfeld