Author Topic: Magnum.  (Read 9164 times)

December 03, 2004, 07:33:49 PM
Read 9164 times

Quaunaut

• Skulk

• View Profile
This is the 4th time in 2 days I've gone on a server, and all it is, is a magnum whoring session. You can't spawn without getting whored by one. Its a physical impossibility. It makes coming on the server not fun, and it removes any fun that it may have had thanks to the fact that it goes through any item you may be carrying with the grav gun(thus, no way to counter the weapon).

I'm looking to see who else here things the gun is so overpowered that we have it removed from MP until underpowered, or have LB himself alter damage on it to half of what it is.

December 03, 2004, 11:00:31 PM
Reply #1

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
If there's something by you, grab it with the grav gun to block shots for now. I did that all the time in HL2.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

December 03, 2004, 11:17:46 PM
Reply #2

Leaderz0rz

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
just reduce the damage by half and it will be ok

December 04, 2004, 01:09:28 AM
Reply #3

ANeM

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • Steam profile
Overwatch is especially bad, having the magnum and a box of ammo 5 feet from not one, but two spawn points, both which can be seen from the magnum =/

December 04, 2004, 07:23:34 AM
Reply #4

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Ironic. In other threads (about other games, but nevertheless), the argument goes that we mess around with the game too much. Here, suddenly, you want us to implement such fundamental changes as CUTTING THE DAMAGE OF A WEAPON IN HALF. Imagine if we did that to the lmg or skulk bite in NS.
Don't give me the balance dealio, I can't take it anymore. If it's overpowered, please sir, you want www.steampowered.com for all your bitching needs. Trust Valve to take care of their own game. I've spend the last few weeks listening to how godlike they are, well, here's their chance to PROVE it. If they don't change the magnum, I'll just assume that this is the way they want their game to be, and I will not dare assert my will over that of Valvegod.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 07:28:14 AM by lolfighter »

December 04, 2004, 08:00:53 AM
Reply #5

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Ironic. In other threads (about other games, but nevertheless), the argument goes that we mess around with the game too much. Here, suddenly, you want us to implement such fundamental changes as CUTTING THE DAMAGE OF A WEAPON IN HALF. Imagine if we did that to the lmg or skulk bite in NS.
Don't give me the balance dealio, I can't take it anymore. If it's overpowered, please sir, you want www.steampowered.com for all your bitching needs. Trust Valve to take care of their own game. I've spend the last few weeks listening to how godlike they are, well, here's their chance to PROVE it. If they don't change the magnum, I'll just assume that this is the way they want their game to be, and I will not dare assert my will over that of Valvegod.
[snapback]35150[/snapback]

Its Half Life Deathmatch, everyone goes in with a smiling face, joyful and ready to have fun, but leave frustrated, pissed off beyoned belief and want to punch someone. We think balancing the weapons could change all of that. Trust me lolfighter something really needs to be done about this magnum and also comparing it to a mod where everyone basically fights with the same weapon (lmg vs skulk) to a game where everyone is fighting with different weapons (and or pieces of map) isn't quite a good "comparison" to say the least. Heck everything in hldm2 is fine except the 1 hit kill, firing super fast magnum. Think about it lolfighter, imagine yourself spawning and being shot instantly with it ebfore you can even take 2 steps foward, then spawning again, running a few feet around the map get some armor and a cool weapon then blam. dead from 80 feet away from 1 shot to the chest/stomache with a magnum. I mean its damn better than the damn Crossbow ffs which should dominate long distance fighting. Plus the ROF is high so its not like the AWP in CS where you can find a corner to hide, but more like the Shotgun in NS with a range from 100000 feet away. and its spammerific = unfun
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 08:10:33 AM by Diablus »

December 04, 2004, 09:41:43 AM
Reply #6

Keyser59

• Gorge

• View Profile
Like lolfigher said, you have to take it for what it is. No use whining about it here, just have to adapt until valve makes the nerf or whatever.

If you spend your time playing the game than you will know the best way to counter a magnum is to get a magnum, and generally thats not too hard.

It doesn't kill gameplay, it just focuses a certain aspect of the game.

December 04, 2004, 10:32:15 AM
Reply #7

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
Like lolfigher said, you have to take it for what it is. No use whining about it here, just have to adapt until valve makes the nerf or whatever.

If you spend your time playing the game than you will know the best way to counter a magnum is to get a magnum, and generally thats not too hard.

It doesn't kill gameplay, it just focuses a certain aspect of the game.
[snapback]35165[/snapback]

This forum is for HLDM2, if someone is going to rant, or rave about weapon(s) they have every right to. In forums you need to gain seniority and respect, joining the steam forums and making your first post about a rant on the Magnum would only cause the community to laugh at your ass and say "go get experience newb"

Now posting in here has 2 reasons.

1. You can vent and expect not to be flamed or crticized in a negative manner

2. Possibly someone who has some type of connection, or is active in the steam forums that can post this idea in which the community would look at it from a different point of view and will be up for the change.

December 04, 2004, 12:54:30 PM
Reply #8

Guspaz

• Reserved Slot
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://teknews.net
I just want all weapons except for the gravity gun removed ;)

December 04, 2004, 01:25:46 PM
Reply #9

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
There is one fatal flaw in your argument LF. The game was designed around the single player aspect where the weapon can take down combines in 1 shot and ammo is not exactly plentiful. No one is playing the combine, no one cares about them.

When you are in a multiplayer scene you need to be careful with 1 shot kill weapons. If you look at the games that have sniper class weapons, nearly ALL of them have some way of seeing where the sniper is, where he is aiming, both, or the weapon is not insta-hit and you can avoid it and/or the sniper has a hell of a lot hard time with leading the shot. This is because dying instantly from someone halfway across the map with no way of knowing he is gaining a bead on you is just plain frustrating.

December 04, 2004, 03:37:33 PM
Reply #10

Quaunaut

• Skulk

• View Profile
Mal, read my post: THE MAGNUM GOES THROUGH ANYTHING. Desks, barrels, toilets, radiators, filing cabinets- everything. The least we could do is get rid of its penetrative properties.

Having to wait till then is killing it off for me. I go in, want to have fun, and don't even get the chance because of the massive whorage. In NS we don't change it because unbalances are at least tolerable. Here, the game just ends because of that- and everyone quits because it isn't fun anymore.

December 04, 2004, 04:04:44 PM
Reply #11

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Mal, read my post: THE MAGNUM GOES THROUGH ANYTHING. Desks, barrels, toilets, radiators, filing cabinets- everything. The least we could do is get rid of its penetrative properties.

Having to wait till then is killing it off for me. I go in, want to have fun, and don't even get the chance because of the massive whorage. In NS we don't change it because unbalances are at least tolerable. Here, the game just ends because of that- and everyone quits because it isn't fun anymore.
[snapback]35189[/snapback]

You wanna test that out with me, because I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

December 04, 2004, 04:18:22 PM
Reply #12

Keyser59

• Gorge

• View Profile
This forum is for HLDM2, if someone is going to rant, or rave about weapon(s) they have every right to. In forums you need to gain seniority and respect, joining the steam forums and making your first post about a rant on the Magnum would only cause the community to laugh at your ass and say "go get experience newb"

Now posting in here has 2 reasons.

1. You can vent and expect not to be flamed or crticized in a negative manner

2. Possibly someone who has some type of connection, or is active in the steam forums that can post this idea in which the community would look at it from a different point of view and will be up for the change.

Well, 1, you'll almost always be critisized because it is almost guaranteed there will be someone with a different opinion, and 2, you could just post it on the steam forums yourself.

The steamed forums have no sense of seniority because it is not a community based forums. There is no ranking system, and people there are just as likely to dismiss an admins post as a post by a person who registered yesterday. There are actually about 5 "rant threads" in the forums, all with support or opposition. Posting your opinion there might actually succeed in accomplishing something.

But the focus of my post was that it's not as bad as you think. Yeah it sucks being killed in one shot, but it can also be countered. And if someone is camping the magnum, then just stay away or be sneaky until he dies. It's annoying, but not game-breaking.

And no, even the magnum does not shoot through anything.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 11:39:10 PM by Keyser59 »

December 04, 2004, 04:29:34 PM
Reply #13

Anarki3x6

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile

Your biggest complaint there is that it goes through everything? like hell it does, i try to shoot people carrying stuff but it only sometimes goes through, like with boxes perhaps, i always aim for the persons appendages that are stickin out when theyre carrying an object... and it kills em...
-_^

December 04, 2004, 04:59:52 PM
Reply #14

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Decimator and I tested the magnum out. It goes through nothing, not even a little cardboard box, which only got knocked out of my hands.

If someone is using the magnum, grab a barrel, crouch, and creep up on them until you can nail them with it.

December 04, 2004, 09:40:31 PM
Reply #15

Quaunaut

• Skulk

• View Profile
Decimator and I tested the magnum out. It goes through nothing, not even a little cardboard box, which only got knocked out of my hands.

If someone is using the magnum, grab a barrel, crouch, and creep up on them until you can nail them with it.
[snapback]35194[/snapback]

And proceed to get owned by every other Magnum wielding nub on the map

December 04, 2004, 11:29:17 PM
Reply #16

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile

You wanna test that out with me, because I'm pretty sure it doesn't.
[snapback]35190[/snapback]
Yeah, I doubt it can go through all that stuff, but it doesn't matter to me either way since I can't play it with the horrendous lag.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

December 05, 2004, 07:48:15 AM
Reply #17

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Before reading further, go look up "irony" and "sarcasm" in the dictionary, or I shall smite you with this here carrot.

Again, go complain to Valvegod. It's their game, and their damn responsibility. Pull the "paying customer" number on them, bombard them with emails, spam the forums, I don't give a damn, but don't incovenience me with stuff that isn't my responsibility. This is like running to your mommy and telling her to stop the war in Iraq because it's not good (oh, and please, do me the favour of turning this into a political flamewar because of that comment so I can lock the thread).

If they won't listen to you because you don't have a high enough postcount, then THEY suck. It's still not my fault or problem.

But remember that Valve is godlike. Nothing can stand up to the awesome awesomeness that is Valvegod (or so everyone has been happy to tell me for the past few weeks). If they want the magnum to be the bfg of HL2DM, then they are right and anybody who says different is just a naysayer. You must bow down and pray to Valvegod, and banish your sinful criticism from your mind. Celibacy, silent prayer, and daily floggings are the way.

December 05, 2004, 08:30:08 AM
Reply #18

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
hl2dm is only in its first release and so the magnum (though very powerful) will stay in that game this powerful till as lf stated you guys tell valve about it.  posting here asking for it to be underpowered is like asking lb or someone else to code for the mod that valve created.  remember valve does have forums though they have more spam there than here by people who have nothing better to do then perform threadomancy; however, valve does listen to some of the people who do post good and logical threads.
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

December 05, 2004, 08:37:39 AM
Reply #19

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Exactly. Like this here post for example:

There is one fatal flaw in your argument LF. The game was designed around the single player aspect where the weapon can take down combines in 1 shot and ammo is not exactly plentiful. No one is playing the combine, no one cares about them.

When you are in a multiplayer scene you need to be careful with 1 shot kill weapons. If you look at the games that have sniper class weapons, nearly ALL of them have some way of seeing where the sniper is, where he is aiming, both, or the weapon is not insta-hit and you can avoid it and/or the sniper has a hell of a lot hard time with leading the shot. This is because dying instantly from someone halfway across the map with no way of knowing he is gaining a bead on you is just plain frustrating.
[snapback]35182[/snapback]
My argument is not flawed because nowhere am I stating that the magnum does not need a nerf. I don't own the game, remember? I have no idea how the magnum feels, whether you have a valid point or are just whining because you suck. All I'm saying is that you're complaining to the wrong people. For the third time: Valve are the ones you need to bug about this, just like Dark says. Preferrably with reasonable posts like ABS'.

Edit: Another matter: You people clamoring for a nerf or removal: Any idea how we'd go about doing that? Not stuff like "you should code a plugin that does x" or "you should lower the damage to", but actual procedures. I'm looking for stuff like "go to this here website, download plugin so-and-so, install it according to the included readme, set the parameter mp_magnum to '0' or adjust mp_magnumdscale to '0.5'" You should have done this right away, not after I had to request it of you.

Edit2: Of course, we could just take any map that has the magnum out of the map rotation, but I get a sneaking suspicion that that'd be almost all of 'em.
Also, you LMers could just make a gentleman's agreement not to use the magnum. Don't expect us to enforce it though. Heck, enforce it yourselves and gang up on anyone who uses the magnum.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 08:46:35 AM by lolfighter »