Author Topic: REQUIRED READING FOR PLAYERS  (Read 36805 times)

December 03, 2004, 01:49:49 PM
Reply #60

Guest Bacon

• Lerker

• View Profile
Theres just something fishy about clanners fighting tooth and nail over this, then going "oh, I dont really need it btw." <_<

December 03, 2004, 06:19:13 PM
Reply #61

Quaunaut

• Skulk

• View Profile
Here, for you people who seem to be too thick not to read it the first time:

The reason they/we fight for scripts is because we've spent time on them making the game easier for us personally(no advantage). Its like spending 2 hours working so that you can buy that MX1000 mouse, then when your done, being told you can't use it because "We say so", even though they don't even know the jist of it. It doesn't give a unfair advantage, its just simply a matter of preference. I find it funny that so many of you argue against it, and yet fail to ever learn anything about it.

December 03, 2004, 07:09:34 PM
Reply #62

Guest Bacon

• Lerker

• View Profile
"too thick not to read it"  heh.

I know what scripts can do. I know their limits. Ive used some myself. I personally have nothing against it. Thanks for your assumptions anyway :)

[devils advocate]
convenience. advantage.
where do you draw the line?

Scoreboard+netgraph script. Innocent and convenient, no? It gives the user the ADVANTAGE of being able to get that info faster than one who does not have this script. Is the advantage trivial? hell yes. Is it still and advantage? yep.
A convenience is an advantage.

Why are steroids banned substances? I mean, the users still have to train their bodies. Its just more CONVENIENT to use 'em. Its not like you take them and they do the workout for you. Heck, you gotta go buy the drugs themselves. You gotta spend time to get the money to buy these drugs.
An advantage is a convenience.

In this sense, you can call every convenience gained an advantage and every advantage a convenience.

Think about what you said. "The reason they/we fight for scripts is because we've spent time on them making the game easier for us personally" Heh, isnt that what a cheat does? make a competition easier for yourself? Who are you to decide which convenience is not too convenient?
[/devils advocate]

I've used scripts (3jump mostly, romano's switch thing was nice too). I lost them over a reinstall and am too lazy to get them back. If you really dont need it, you should be able to lose them and not feel the need to raise hell to get it back.

December 03, 2004, 07:10:50 PM
Reply #63

MrGunner

• Lerker

• View Profile
Blockscripts only keeps clanners that casually pub away from your server.  A fair amount of the serious players stay away because they don't like getting banned and/or harrassed while playing.  

I believe the inane rules which are selectively inforced to be at the root of the problem.  The "no advertising" one for instance keeps me from wearing my tag on your server (I'm #cri.nner by the way).  I found this to be an assinine rule but seeing as how it isn't my server I went along.  Apparently the admins failed to see the humour when I changed my name to "POUNDcri.nner" as a compromise.  Since then I've been banned every time I join the server, without warning, no matter what I change my name to.

Everybody make such a big deal about mp_bs 1 but most people seriously could care less as there are plenty of both servers.  I personally could care less whether or not you decide to run with mp_blockscripts on or off.  I choose to use a 2jump and 3jump script for scrim/clan play but I can rebind my keys quite quickly for servers where the admin thinks it gives me some advantage.  I do this on a number of other servers that I frequent.

Plain and simple the reason why other servers have much larger communities is because they choose to just let people play the game instead of enforcing arbitrary rules with the banhammer.  If someone is using an aimbot, ban the :Der, but are you just going to keep on banning everyone else just because they don't play the way you want them to?

December 03, 2004, 08:55:55 PM
Reply #64

Keyser59

• Gorge

• View Profile
Scoreboard+netgraph script. Innocent and convenient, no? It gives the user the ADVANTAGE of being able to get that info faster than one who does not have this script. Is the advantage trivial? hell yes. Is it still and advantage? yep.
A convenience is an advantage.

Where do you draw the line? Do you think it's unfair that people with Mx510s play against people with roller mouses? Do you think somebody's headphones gives them clearer audio than someone elses? Those are all much more significant advantages than the ones you mentioned.

I don't really care about scripting to the point where I would get into a flame war about it, because I can play fine either way. But people still haven't realized that this applies for everyone. My only problem with scripting is it divides the community needlessly. Blockscripts is the equivalent of allowing server admins to decide whether scripting is abusive, and it doesn't make sense.

December 04, 2004, 12:52:03 AM
Reply #65

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
you forget about all the malicous nasty scripts that no one but Tyr and a handfull have access to in teh mantis, and I'm sure there is plenty of bored people who are smart enough to create something else.

I personally don't like blockscripts because I have to use something physicall to evade the AFK kicker, and I want to try at three jump instead of the mousewheel.

Oh, what other productive things have blossomed from your work Archi?

how did this whole thing suddenly break to scripts  :huh:  :help:
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

December 04, 2004, 05:48:43 AM
Reply #66

Crispy

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
Seemingly because that's one of the major issues. I can't see why, a good player is noticeably better when mp_bs is on, and there are plently of servers without BS. I think that not letting someone wear a clan tag because it's an irc channel as well is pretty poor. It really has no effect on the community unless a clan starts actively trying to recruit on the server. If you compare that to how many players it puts off (the majority of whom are put off because of the sillyness of the rule, not the rule itself) then you might recognise how ridiculous it is.

On the other hand it's not so hard to change your name (at least in the current version) to something without a clan name. In #cri.nner's case he could have just as easily changed it to Crinner (or Mr. Gunner) instead of trying to evade this rule.

All in all I think that the rule in itself gives off a sort of spoilt brat dictator attitude, trying to make people conform to rules that just don't do anything to help gameplay at all is worthless and gives off a bad vibe.

What's gonna happen when the new NS naming system is in full effect? Will anyone with a clanname containing an irc channel have to 'procure' another copy of HL to get a new NS name before coming onto the server? It sounds pretty silly to me, I'd suggest you review it's worth before it really starts putting players off.
A lovely thing to see:
through the paper window's hole,
the Galaxy.

December 04, 2004, 07:51:14 AM
Reply #67

Sydney Carton

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://etotheipi.blogspot.com
Hey. Just to let the copious amount of people who have no idea who I am know that I'm not talking out of me arse, I've been playing here since 2.0 release in various shapes and forms, had a res slot at one point, and donated money to both constellation and the server. So I do have somewhat of a stake in the future of LM (not insofar as my opinion should actually matter, just in that I don't want to see it collapse).

Suffice it to say, I really don't play here anymore. The reasons are more EQ2 and HL2 than anything else, plus the most intense semester of schoolwork I've ever had, but there are a couple things that tend to drive me away from NS.

The first is that as of late, the various rules have just been piling up, and the no-tolerance is wearing a little thin. As an example of such a rule, we're playing a game of combat and suddenly I hear that a dictate has been announced that there will be no more sporing of marine spawn anymore. I'm a lerk, the marines are being pressured in their base, and suddenly I'm castrated into ineffectiveness because I'm scared that I'm going to spore the wrong place and get the bant stick.

In addition, there are admins that, whenever I see them log on, be it in the middle of the game, I log off. I just don't enjoy the tense atmosphere they create. Most of the times, it's an admin that I've rarely seen log on, and when they do someone almost always catches the wrong end of the bant hammer for some sort of seemingly-frivolous reason (I'm not talking about when someone comes in for an !admin call, but then again, usually these people are not the ones that respond to the !admin call). Or every minute of every game that someone could possibly be doing something wrong, they get an instant /talk saying "OMG don't do that again or bant." Warnings are fine, but it gets annoying when the admin feels the need to micromanage every incident. As one example, TKs happen; it's why we have FF turned on, otherwise it wouldn't make sense. If a reg TKs someone and the TKee is not complaining, chances are there is no problem to manage.

I need to go now for an exam, but if I get the chance I'll sign back on to continue this list.
-------------------------------------
'Tis a far coarser topology that I refine...

December 04, 2004, 08:54:03 AM
Reply #68

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
The first is that as of late, the various rules have just been piling up, and the no-tolerance is wearing a little thin. As an example of such a rule, we're playing a game of combat and suddenly I hear that a dictate has been announced that there will be no more sporing of marine spawn anymore. I'm a lerk, the marines are being pressured in their base, and suddenly I'm castrated into ineffectiveness because I'm scared that I'm going to spore the wrong place and get the bant stick.
[snapback]35152[/snapback]
That happened on this server?
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

December 04, 2004, 10:12:24 AM
Reply #69

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Every NS discussion boils down to scripts now. Honestly, you'd think they were worth something.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

December 04, 2004, 10:49:50 AM
Reply #70

Kodiac

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
Alright, I just want to say a few things.

First, I began playing here when the server i origianlly palyed on went down [sleepless].  
I enjoy playing here and haven't really got any complaints.

However, there are a few things I have heard form otheres while playing.

1).  The no spawncamping rule interferes with seiging/assaulting the hive.

BAH! HUMBUG!

Alright, I am not everyone, but i ahve NEVER been accused of spawncamping a hive, and also to my knowledge have never accused anyone else of camping a hive.  To shotty rush a hive is, or should be, completely acceptable.  If the aliens have managed to let the marines get that much res and that many shotties that close to the hive, they deserve it.  When seiging, a comm only has so much scan energy, and can't scan forever.  He needs a person in the hive to spot it.  The marine is entitled to defend himself, as he is making an active effort to destroy structures(spotting).  I be;lieve that is stated in the rules.   To have  marine in the hive is not the end of the world, nor is having a skulk on your ip the end of the world.  Often, these "spawncampers"  are so engrossed in killing you that a single {insert lkifeform name here, marine or kharaa} can kill it iun about two seconds.  

NS is about teamplay, and balancing issues have never been a problem for me. WHen I lose a game, I lose because the team i was failed to work AS A TEAM.  They worked as a group of individuals, and that leads to spawncamping, as isolated losers camp the hive or ms while waiting for something to do.  The marine depends on teamwork in the game and aliens do as well.  

Thus, my opinion on this rule is that works, and the root behind it is the lack of teamwork.

Now, alright, i have had my rant of on spawncamping, and have now progressed to rambling.  I try not to, but meh.

TEAMWORK IS THE ANSWER!

Many of the problems lm is having come from a lack of teamwork.  marines do not listen to the comm, and the aliens dont move as a team.  PLEASE! SPARE ME THE FLAMES!  CONTRARY TO POPULAR BELIEF, ALIENS ARE NOT LONERS!  an onos with no support dies.  END! OF! SENTENCE!.  Fades get burned by shotties without skulk, and skulks themselves can't take out heavies or jp without support.  So why the classic loner view?   WHO KNOWS? WHO CARES?  the way that you win in any game is to use unconventional tactics.  shotty rushes in the first minute  of the game works only because aliens never expect it.  Skulk rushes work because nobody expects them anymore.  So, expect the unexpected, and deal with the way the game is.  You cant whine about not having plasma rifles when they arent  even in the game.  To say that a game is unbalanced is also untrue.  ANY game is unbalanced, and there is always a side that has an advantage.  War, FPS, RTS, RPG, ANY GAME will have a side that has the odds in its favor.  What must be done is to learn how to counter that advantage and deal with it.  I dont whine because a lone marine with an hmg/jp owned me, i shut up and realize that the best way to kill that is with a lerk.  When the aliens have the map, i push the hive, take the attention away form the res and onto the hive.  Then i cap nodes and run.  If i am all aloine and know that somehting important is going on somewhere, (such as a hive going up) i attack and divert attention.  ALWAYS keep the attention away form what you are truly doing.  
Also, little point-  For ye olde turret farming comms and wol-ing gorges-
STATIONARY DEFENCES ARE A MONUMENT TO THE STUPIDITY OF MAN.

anyway, many of the problems here on lm can be overcome by a simple rule that actually already exists.  LISTEN TO YOUR COMM AND TO YOUR TEAM.   The teamwork issue is the ONLY way i ahve seen lm go downhill, and it is more of a problem with the regs and semi-regs than woith the admins themselves.  Admittedly, admins ahve banned good players, but how do you qualify them as "good"?

By how many aliens they kill?
spawncampoers kill often, but do not contribute to team efforts

How often they die?
a pansy in the corner will survive the whole game, and never do a thing to help the team

Do they hoard res?
this can be a good thing, but generally, to burn 40 res gorging and dropping two rts or 3 chambers is going to help a lot more than saving to fifty for a fade/hive, as the res you dropped will help others gain the res for the hive.  Chambers keep your team alive longer.  

You see?  Skilled players can be judged many ways, but the way that i judge is the following:

DO they foloow orders?
Do they think of the team, not themsleves (Oh, i am a hgeavy, i dont want to die *cry*)
Do they ask what nededs to be done instead of wandering off and doing whatever?
Heres the clincher-
DO THEY HELP OTHERS WHEN ASKED?

Alright, now, i know i jsut falmed a lot of people with out actually naming them, and flamed many ideas others had, but that wasnt the point.  LM is a very good place, and is ahead in many ways, but a server is only made of people, not rules and regulations.  simply whining does not help.  LEad by example.  If you ofdnt like spawncamping, dont put others in a situation where they could be accused of it.  If you are a fan of teamwork, ask what the team needs, what the stauts is, whatever.  Dont sit and whine aobut things like an old crothcety man
Kodiac teh Pirate Bear
One part comm, one part cheerleader, 3 parts cuddly bear

December 04, 2004, 11:50:20 AM
Reply #71

a civilian

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
The argument that spawncamping doesn't help the team is absolutely ridiculous.  Aliens who are distracted in the hive or waiting in the spawn queue cannot fight marines in other areas of the map.  I'm sure you can see how this benefits the team.

Also,
Do they hoard res?
this can be a good thing, but generally, to burn 40 res gorging and dropping two rts or 3 chambers is going to help a lot more than saving to fifty for a fade/hive, as the res you dropped will help others gain the res for the hive. Chambers keep your team alive longer.
Perhaps, but only if the team already has two or three Fades or players saving for them.  It's pointless to put up a resource chamber if your team lacks the capability to defend it.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004, 11:54:12 AM by a civilian »

December 04, 2004, 08:26:05 PM
Reply #72

Guspaz

• Reserved Slot
  • Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://teknews.net
Its like spending 2 hours working so that you can buy that MX1000 mouse,
[snapback]35122[/snapback]

Funny, the MX1000 that I ordered October 16th just arrived yesterday, and I love it :)

Anyhow, on to my post. I'm not counted in the big-anonymous-file (I'm not on IRC all that often right now, I go through periods where I'm on IRC 24/7 for a few weeks or months, then periods where I rarely use it). I don't mind posting my comments without the veil of anonymity.

Point form, because I so love using it:

1) Overall, the server is not going downhill. There are some things that need changing, but that is by no means an indication of it going downhill

2) There have been less players playing on the server recently. One way to solve this is by re-instituting the reserved slot reccomendation forum again. This gave everybody a chance to vote on a potential RS member, instea of the current system where they're just reccomended in a thread and no real vote takes place. The forum was brought back because there were too many RS players; the server was full too often. Well, the server needs more players and more regs, and RS are a great way to build a strong community of regs. It's 10PM on saturday night and the server is only 12/17. It should be full, and more RS players will help with that

3) The administration needs to seriously re-examine their position on combat maps. Right now, it seems the reason they were removed is simply because LB or some other admins don't like them. Honestly, LB rarely plays on the server, and the admins make up only a small portion of the players that play on LM. The reason of any one admin not liking combat should have no bearing at all in any decision regarding combat.

Some of the regs don't like combat either. That's understandable. However, the proof is in the pudding that most people don't mind combat. Take this for example, every time there were, say, 4 or 6 people on the server, and an admin switched to combat, the server filled up quickly. If combat is such a big draw to the server, obviously more people like it than not. I don't like 24/7 combat, but I also enjoy the occasional game of Combat mixed in with normal NS. Look at it this way, LM needs more regs and players, and Combat is a great way to help fill up the server and attract new potential regs.

4) We need votes back in. RS members used to be able to start new votes, to change maps and other minor things on the server. this was working great, but was then removed because people wanted to play Combat, and were voting for combat maps. LB or some other admins don't like combat, so voting was removed. That is frankly stupid logic. Voting helps keep the server fresh when there aren't any admins around, and is nothing but good for the server. Removing voting as it was just harms the community, and there's no reason it should be removed. give the players what they want.

5) Here's my position on the whole script blocking thing. It's simple. I like the block, and would rather scripts were disabled, as there's no legitimate reason to have them. However, it's not a big issue, and I don't really care either way if they're blocked or not. My opinion is that they SHOULD be blocked, but if they are or aren't, meh.

6) Friendly fire is bloody annoying. I know I'm in the minority here, but it just gets in the way and makes the game less fun. It was originally put on to counter bugged handgrenades in combat, ironically enough, but once that bug was fixed was never removed. In fact I seem to recall there having been a poll done where at the time the majority of people wanted FF off, but the admins ignored it. At least that's how I remember it, I could be wrong and the poll could have gone the other way. I can't find it.

7) The spawncamping rules are draconian and need changing. As it stands now, every single game sees players doing something that the rules would call spawncamping, and even the admins in the server break that rule, because of how broad it is. I mean, the rule basically says you can't shoot the enemy in their own base, because you have to be shooting a structure. When nobody follows the rule because of how broad it is, that's a hint. Take the hint. Change the rule. Banning true spawncamping is OK, banning regular gameplay under an uberumbrella definition of spawncamping is NOT OK.

8) I'm going to sum up my entire position by saying this: the administration of the community should not be making decisions based on their personal preferences. They should instead make decisions based on what is best for the community. Things like removing combat to the extend that admins can't even switch to the maps, or removing voteing, that just hurts the community, and is frankly selfish. Admins exist to make sure the players have a good time, not to make sure they have good times themselves. If you don't want to make the sacrifices that come with being an admin, step down and become a regular player.

PS: As an afterthought, I don't give a damn if you as players don't like Combat. If more than half the players on the server at any given time want to play combat, then let them. If you're not on the server, why should you care if it's playing combat? Come to think of it re-adding player/RS initiated voting would fix this right up.

December 04, 2004, 11:06:20 PM
Reply #73

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I think you have issues with Combat.

December 04, 2004, 11:25:31 PM
Reply #74

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Its like spending 2 hours working so that you can buy that MX1000 mouse,
[snapback]35122[/snapback]
3) The administration needs to seriously re-examine their position on combat maps. Right now, it seems the reason they were removed is simply because LB or some other admins don't like them. Honestly, LB rarely plays on the server, and the admins make up only a small portion of the players that play on LM. The reason of any one admin not liking combat should have no bearing at all in any decision regarding combat.

4) We need votes back in. RS members used to be able to start new votes, to change maps and other minor things on the server. this was working great, but was then removed because people wanted to play Combat, and were voting for combat maps. LB or some other admins don't like combat, so voting was removed. That is frankly stupid logic. Voting helps keep the server fresh when there aren't any admins around, and is nothing but good for the server. Removing voting as it was just harms the community, and there's no reason it should be removed. give the players what they want.
[snapback]35201[/snapback]
Server admins have been able to switch to co maps for awhile now. In fact, I did today, when there were only four people on, and it filled up pretty quick. We can start votes to see if people want combat too, so... Oh, and this also means that the maps weren't removed (and they never were). :)
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

December 05, 2004, 08:26:23 AM
Reply #75

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile

[snapback]35201[/snapback]

this was removed because too many votes were started by rs members for maps like nancy over and over again not combat and to my knowledge we were never able to start votes for combat.  to be completely honest combat is not as fun as it was assumed it would be when it was announced and the first teaser screenshots appeared.
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

December 05, 2004, 10:13:09 AM
Reply #76

Crispy

• Skulk

• View Profile
[Taboo]In my opinion spawncamping is perfectly acceptible[/Taboo]

Yeah I know what you're thinking, and I can feel the heat rising with every word I add, but I don't think there's anything wrong with spawncamping.

* Crispy dons flame retardent suit

Almost all forms of spawncamping have a counter either in this or the upcoming version of NS. If a team doesn't or hasn't put that counter into use then they have only themselves to blame for being spawncamped. Some examples:

Skulks on the IP
Commanders really need to learn how to build good bases. Most maps have plenty of space for a Commander to build a base in MS (relocations to key areas of the map have and need their obvious disadvantages). If the Com spaces the IPs out and leaves them far from the CC then either he(/her) or a member of the team coming through an IP has the opportunity to shoot down the spawncamper. Commanders should also be aware of which direction they get into the CC to make sure they exit facing important structures. In the event of a spawncamp the Com should know when to beacon his team in immediately and when to deal with the intruders himself.

Marines spawncamping
I only see this as a problem if it's prolonging the game. Usually if Marines get into an undefended Hive in numbers attacking it in a sensible formation then that Hive is doomed. The only reason spawncamping instead of finishing the Hive quickly is viable is because of RFK. Without this it just wouldn't make sense to spawncamp because any higher lifeforms would have more time (with this Hives extra ability available) to retaliate. Even with RFK this still remains a valid point, as any competant players will make their way back to the Hive to try to take out the Marines, or at least divert enough fire to allow their team to respawn. Seeing as in the upcoming version of NS sieges will no longer do damage to players, not only will Marines have to deal without the additional blast damage of a siege cannon but they'll have a tougher time holding that all-important siege location.

The more reduced examples of spawncamping can easily be countered with a bit of support and teamwork. As such I think the spawncamping rules are pretty mollycoddling. NS gives us guns, claws and teeth and the LM server gives us rules on when to use them... there's something very wrong with that. Obviously there are occasions when spawncamping genuinely ruins the game because it serves no purpose other than humiliation. I personally don't mind the concept of drivebys: if I'm spawning as a skulk and keep getting spawncamped then I'd be getting one of my team to deal with it.

For me the anti-spawncamp rules are geared too much towards the FPS side of the game and forget about legitimate RTS gameplay. Imagine in one of the -Craft games you have found someones outpost and you start attacking. They keep building units to try and counter/rebuild defences but you keep take them out every time they appear... or do you? Maybe there should be a rule where you aren't allowed to kill units less than 5 seconds old, otherwise OMGSPAWNCAMPFTW!!GG!!

In short for me spawncamping, while incredibly frustrating for anyone on the receiving end, is perfectly acceptible. Simply suppressing it is like keeping your kids on baby food because they could choke on anything larger. Life's not always easy, more particularly computer games aren't easy, in fact I hate it when they are. One of the best things about human vs. human games (multiplayer, football, even chess) is that we are adaptible to tough situations. If I had a vote in the matter I'd vote for a severe relaxing of the spawncamping rules, but I don't. What I do have is an opinion, thankyou for hearing it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 10:40:08 AM by Crispy »
A lovely thing to see:
through the paper window's hole,
the Galaxy.

December 05, 2004, 11:17:50 AM
Reply #77

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Seeing as in the upcoming version of NS sieges will no longer do damage to players, not only will Marines have to deal without the additional blast damage of a siege cannon but they'll have a tougher time holding that all-important siege location.
[snapback]35256[/snapback]
This annoys me on how many people don't understand what that darned annoucement said. >_<
In b5 sieges do 165 blast damage. This means 165 damage to all players and double that for structures, 330.
In b6 sieges do 330 non-blast damage only to structures. The only change here is they don't hurt players, they still do the same damage to strutures >_<

Imagine in one of the -Craft games you have found someones outpost and you start attacking. They keep building units to try and counter/rebuild defences but you keep take them out every time they appear... or do you? Maybe there should be a rule where you aren't allowed to kill units less than 5 seconds old, otherwise OMGSPAWNCAMPFTW!!GG!!
[snapback]35256[/snapback]
This goes along with what I said in the HL2DM magnum thread. When you are killing NPCs it is completely different from killing a player. An indescript enemy in a single player game has no feelings and no one behind it. Units in a multiplayer RTS, although there is player behind them, are not THE player's unit, as it is in FPS games. If someone "spawncamps" your units being produced you can bring in units from somewhere else. Some games even have the ability to garrison units inside the production facility upon creation, allowing you to build up a number before releasing them. When you have an FPS game where the player only has one unit, and when it is dead there is nothing at all he can do, it becomes annoying and you run into the issue of sportsmanship.
Say your running a race, sure, you could trip the runner next to you right off the line to gain an advantage. But is it good sportsmanship to do so and basicly remove the competition?

December 05, 2004, 12:02:44 PM
Reply #78

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
The problem isn't when a whole team gets in the hive and knocks out the whole team before taking out the hive, the problem comes when one marine puts his back the wall in the hive and kills spawners for several minutes straight.

I do, however, agree that it is perfectly possible to kill that person, getting 2 skulks to rush him while a third respawns.

December 05, 2004, 12:03:08 PM
Reply #79

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Second, if someone spawncamps you in an rts, would you not say you find it mildly annoying that he's in the position to end the game but has instead decided to whittle your peon units while he builds a Tactical Fusion Cube/Dreadnought Army/Battlecruiser fleet in order to end the game in a humiliation win?

Wouldn't you rather they just roll in and finish it?

I've said it before, NS is not a game where 2 skilled players camp the hive with med/ammo spam in order to allow the other players to cap every node, get HA, and train into the hive. Yes, it can be done, but its not meant to be done.