Author Topic: The Onos  (Read 5711 times)

December 06, 2004, 10:32:59 AM
Reply #20

Crispy

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
Nice story but I noticed the "omg hax" out of the corner of my eye when I was about 2 lines in so that part of the ending was spoilt for me. I don't think you need to explain the explosion or the Hive/upgrade-status of the Onos because it's a fan fiction, a story influenced by but not neccessarily possible in the NS Universe.

Otherwise I'd be the first to start talking about the explosion with the fallen pipes (oma gees @ trigger_hurts!) 2 hours previous (what version was it? oma gees @ 2 hour NS rounds!) and the way his legs felt like paper and his breath was faltering (oma gees, NS has no stamina bar!) and so on...

And that would be lame. BTW I liked the structure of the story, nice long paragraph for the relentless chase really adding to the tension and mimicking the perceived length of the pursuit. Also the commas spaced out evenly in each line could be said to paralell the thundering hooves of the Onos' continuous charge or possibly his unregulated and desperate breathing.

Next time make it longer  :D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 10:34:15 AM by Crispy »
A lovely thing to see:
through the paper window's hole,
the Galaxy.

December 06, 2004, 11:49:58 AM
Reply #21

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
And why couldn't the onos catch up with the marine? They run faster.

actually, unless it has celerity its slower than a Marine (why do u think Marines always chase Onos with hmgs when its at hive 1 with D chambers?)
[snapback]35253[/snapback]
Ah, I never get anything but celerity for an onos, so I never noticed that.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

December 07, 2004, 07:13:08 AM
Reply #22

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Nice story but I noticed the "omg hax" out of the corner of my eye when I was about 2 lines in so that part of the ending was spoilt for me. I don't think you need to explain the explosion or the Hive/upgrade-status of the Onos because it's a fan fiction, a story influenced by but not neccessarily possible in the NS Universe.

Otherwise I'd be the first to start talking about the explosion with the fallen pipes (oma gees @ trigger_hurts!) 2 hours previous (what version was it? oma gees @ 2 hour NS rounds!) and the way his legs felt like paper and his breath was faltering (oma gees, NS has no stamina bar!) and so on...
[snapback]35363[/snapback]
Weeeeelllll... when I write fan-fiction, I tend to not stick to the game itself. I mean, I'm not writing accounts of actual games, I write fiction. It doesn't bother me that NS doesn't have a stamina bar, in real life you'd run of breath nevertheless, even a tough-as-nails frontiersman.
In games, we sometimes have to decide between gameplay and realism, which is why realism sometimes has to take a backseat. In fiction, we can usually add greater realism without spoiling the fun, mostly because fiction, taking place largely in your mind, has far less restrictions than a game that has to be able to boil down to a long line of binary characters on a gameserver.

And that would be lame. BTW I liked the structure of the story, nice long paragraph for the relentless chase really adding to the tension and mimicking the perceived length of the pursuit. Also the commas spaced out evenly in each line could be said to paralell the thundering hooves of the Onos' continuous charge or possibly his unregulated and desperate breathing.

Next time make it longer  :D
[snapback]35363[/snapback]
Buh... even I didn't notice all that about perceived length and evenly spaced commas. :blink:

December 07, 2004, 11:31:03 AM
Reply #23

Crispy

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
My quote:
I don't think you need to explain the explosion or the Hive/upgrade-status of the Onos because it's a fan fiction
I think you may have misread it...
Buh... even I didn't notice all that about perceived length and evenly spaced commas. :blink:
Face it you're a literary genius!
A lovely thing to see:
through the paper window's hole,
the Galaxy.

December 07, 2004, 03:33:56 PM
Reply #24

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I think you may have misread it...
[snapback]35455[/snapback]
No, I just felt like elaborately agreeing with you.
Face it you're a literary genius!
[snapback]35455[/snapback]
Flattery makes lolfighter blush. :blush: