Author Topic: Pancaking, The Definitive Guide  (Read 7293 times)

October 27, 2004, 06:49:44 PM
Reply #20

Keyser59

• Gorge

• View Profile
we are allowed to change opinions as we go

damn

EDIT: Oh yeah, lerking is really sucks now. In CAL like if the aliens get 3 lerks they just fly around the map and kill marines by the dozen. If I see a lerk I just hit my kill bind and look for the nearest death pit because I know its gonna be all over soon.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 06:52:53 PM by Keyser59 »

October 27, 2004, 07:30:24 PM
Reply #21

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Right now,  I really see no point of what people are arguing about. Let's lay it out: LM won't ban you because you are a good player. LM will ban if you are pancaking as a lerk and do not heed the warning(s) - no questions asked. LM will ban you if you use aimbots or any other type of gameplay aid that gives you an unfair advantage - no questions asked. No one said that Adj uses an aimbot. But Adj was accused of pancaking. He does not do it anymore (I can vouch for this since I played a good amount of games with him today). Finally, let's all be nice.

The point of this thread was to dicuss what people think qualifies as pancaking as a lerk and show that LM doesn't allow it.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

October 27, 2004, 09:37:50 PM
Reply #22

a civilian

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile
We already know there are admins who will ban someone for being a good player, but you have to understand that whoever runs the server has the perogative to do as they wish. They're providing you with free service by allowing you to play there, and what they do is up to them. If you don't like a particular server, or you aren't able to play on a specific server for whatever reasons, just let it go; there are always other servers to play on. Whining to us that you've been banned from other servers is pointless because nobody here has any control over what the other server operators do or how they act. The rules and guidelines set here are set for a reason, but that doesn't mean you can't play here and enjoy yourself.
[snapback]32182[/snapback]
That is entirely beside the point.  His comment, "I didn't know being banned from servers meant that you did something," was in response to a previous argument that his ban from numerous other servers meant he must have been doing something wrong.

October 28, 2004, 04:19:08 AM
Reply #23

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yep, that about sums it up. If we trusted other servers to be as fair as we are (or claim to be at least), we'd partake in a global ban list, wouldn't we? We don't, and we don't. We do not share bans or accusations with other forums or servers. scooter blue was banned from ns.org for quite a while, but hadn't done anything wrong over here, and was free to post and play. TheAdj has been banned from various servers on various (trumped-up according to him) charges, but his record here is clean. Being banned from a server means that those in control of the server do not want you there, nothing else. Heck, a nub server has the rule "don't play here if you're good at the game", and will ban you for displays of higher-than-average skill (for that server).
At LM, we like to be able to justify our bans according to our server rules. Different servers have different standards about this. And in the end, playing on any server, be this LM or any other, is a privilege, not a right. It is a privilege extended to everyone, but it is a privilege that can be taken away. Being banned on a completely different server doesn't mean anything here on LM.

October 28, 2004, 11:30:43 AM
Reply #24

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I was just commenting on the irony, I mean you generally have to do "something" to be banned for it.

Regardless of how "real" the infraction is. And yes I have to agree getting kicked/banned for SKILL alone is generally a pain in the backside.

GG BF1942, AvP, and AvP2 - personal experiences, stories on request.
Necrosis killed Holy_Devil with pistol
Holy_Devil: cheater

October 28, 2004, 06:05:12 PM
Reply #25

Avs

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
Add a power gorge + lerk lift and its all over.
Avs

October 29, 2004, 12:31:56 PM
Reply #26

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
I was just commenting on the irony, I mean you generally have to do "something" to be banned for it.

Regardless of how "real" the infraction is. And yes I have to agree getting kicked/banned for SKILL alone is generally a pain in the backside.

GG BF1942, AvP, and AvP2 - personal experiences, stories on request.
[snapback]32253[/snapback]

consider yourself requested
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

October 29, 2004, 01:41:45 PM
Reply #27

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
That is entirely beside the point.  His comment, "I didn't know being banned from servers meant that you did something," was in response to a previous argument that his ban from numerous other servers meant he must have been doing something wrong.
[snapback]32206[/snapback]

I understood the argument well enough the first time, and I understood it even more when TheAdj took the time to explain himself to me on IRC. I don't need anyone else to explain it for me, I was merely stating the fact that we have no control over what happens on other servers while suggesting the server here as an alternative.

October 29, 2004, 04:57:57 PM
Reply #28

Okidata

• Lerker

• View Profile
It's just a game.  People get better at playing it than others, and those who take it too seriously are the ones that ban people from their server just because they are losing.

October 29, 2004, 05:52:39 PM
Reply #29

TheAdj

• Skulk

• View Profile
[snapback]32270[/snapback]
Yar, I've started lerk lifting gorges and pretty much being unkillable, hspray+cara+cel=gg

October 30, 2004, 12:01:58 AM
Reply #30

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
[snapback]32270[/snapback]
Yar, I've started lerk lifting gorges and pretty much being unkillable, hspray+cara+cel=gg
[snapback]32350[/snapback]
Ooooh, I love being lifted by a lerk and then fly a bombing run across MS  :lol: :D

We are the shadow that comes in the night and says "ARRR!"
"yarrr I'm gaybeard the butt pirate, and I've come to plunder yer booty!" -TAK

October 30, 2004, 12:30:26 AM
Reply #31

fatty

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
me and adj had it down nicely a few nights ago. we never died

October 30, 2004, 09:18:21 AM
Reply #32

TheAdj

• Skulk

• View Profile
Who said anything about killing structures using lerklift, we were killing marines :p

October 30, 2004, 05:34:46 PM
Reply #33

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Since I've been requested -

BF1942

Kicked for holding a flag in.......eeeeeerm...... DC I think... the Oil rig map. Noone could kill me, ergo I MUST be cheating, kickage. Similar stories, involving shooting down planes/choppers, jacking the big cargo plane, using the scud PROPERLY, etc.

AvP

OGM how dare I use the grenade launcher to make a little foxhole for myself. Kick. Thankfully my AvP online play experience was short.

AvP2

Picking a pred and remote bombing every living thing, including a disc pred play who didn't understand how I could dodge his leet disc, another wondering why his cannon was crap, and about half a dozen aliens who didn't understand that running towars a pred from the front is a bad idea. Kick kickity kick kick kick.

Yeah, you might all think I blow in NS (and I do, haha) but I'm a pretty good player in a lot of other games (XWing v TIE Fighter, ftw)... I just need my precious GL...

October 30, 2004, 06:40:09 PM
Reply #34

TheAdj

• Skulk

• View Profile
That's how a lot of us feel about most ns pubbers, it's just the legacy left behind by vets that prevents that from being acceptable while vet-bashing is.

October 31, 2004, 04:00:16 PM
Reply #35

Necrosis

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Thats why I always try and maintain a "clanners are good" attitude for the NS.org forums - and reserve my bashing for the obvious asshats and problem players from both communities.

Problem with NS is that its probably one of the only games where a sub section of the community can be so easily blamed for problems.

Also, when I've been on servers where I've clearly outclassed my opponents, I generally leave because I long ago got over the phase of life where a person enjoys easy wins. Now I go for challenges, and if players are almost beating me but not quite I'll try and help them along. Case in point being a game on the DC Oil rig where I just told another player how he could kill me. This was after a good 10 minutes of whining about how I should leave or not protect my flag, etc. I told him to try grenading me instead of getting in a bullet magnet boat, or trying to SWIM to me (cant fire in water, durr, why swim at me???). Funnily enough, he eventually tried grenades. It worked.

Did he say thanks? Nice tip? Was he shocked at how EASY it had actually been to dislodge me?

Nope, he lolled and called me a noob. Shrug. Smacktards are smacktards, skill or not.

November 01, 2004, 10:39:26 AM
Reply #36

Vinegar Ninja

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• The one and only!

• Personal Text
    Now with 100% less angst!
    • STEAM_0:0:15737634
    • View Profile
well scooter as you may or may not know, the last time we were precise on the rules we got complaints of "OMGOMGOGM TOO STRICT OMGOM MAKE THEM LIGHTER! ARGH NO EVIL NAZI ADMINS!" and the like, and it makes it really fustrating to make rules for people who will just refute what they see.
You want rules, we give them to you, you dont like them, we just start being annoyed D:

November 01, 2004, 11:19:03 AM
Reply #37

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I know what you're saying Vinnie, but I tend to lean towards who cares what they think. Rules are rules. Random pubbers can't just join a server and say the rules are terrible. They follow the rules with no question or get kicked and/or banned. Usually rules come from past experiences, so there must be a reason they are written a certain way.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

November 01, 2004, 12:03:28 PM
Reply #38

Vinegar Ninja

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• The one and only!

• Personal Text
    Now with 100% less angst!
    • STEAM_0:0:15737634
    • View Profile
you also forget the problem of strict rules, in that if they find a loophole, they can claim to do it saying its not against the rules :p
so we end up screwed no matter what.
oh well, they never said this job would be easy ^_^