Author Topic: Any Shotgun Replacement Ideas?  (Read 9580 times)

November 01, 2004, 06:34:19 PM
Reply #20

Vitamin Lead

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://
If it actually were replaced, what kind of gun would replace it? there'd have to be another, otherwise the gap between lmg and hmg would have to be closed somehow. (As far as actually ability to get and hmg.)

November 01, 2004, 07:03:24 PM
Reply #21

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
That is exactly the point of this thread, oh silly vitamin :p

November 02, 2004, 02:41:04 AM
Reply #22

Owen

• Skulk

• View Profile
a replacement for the sg... hmm, i think i have an idea.
Instead of having the SG, which is used in close quarters, and for hordes of skulks or something, have something that can do similar, but only not the shotty. I guess the only thing i can think of would be a flamer, but that's kinda pointless when it comes to other uses of the shotty, like busting open an onos.

November 02, 2004, 01:44:13 PM
Reply #23

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
a replacement for the sg... hmm, i think i have an idea.
Instead of having the SG, which is used in close quarters, and for hordes of skulks or something, have something that can do similar, but only not the shotty. I guess the only thing i can think of would be a flamer, but that's kinda pointless when it comes to other uses of the shotty, like busting open an onos.
[snapback]32566[/snapback]

i think a flamer would be cool!

you should be able to set enemies and structures on fire and the burn do continual damage

November 02, 2004, 03:49:44 PM
Reply #24

Kodiac

• Legacy Reserved
  • Gorge

• View Profile

I never really noticed a balance issue with shotties either (sorry, i forgot who said that). It was merely the aliens worked as a team to ambush and kill them, and in general alien teams arent good at that.  Yes, i know the aliens are supposed to be loners and all that jazz.  But think for a minute.  All that is needed is a slight change in tactics.  
Scenario 1: One skulk down a hall vs a marine

rine wins, hardcore.  

Scenario 2:  One skulk at end of hall.  Rine at other end. Extra skulk somewhere in middle

Strat:  Skulk one pops in and out, parasiting the marine for his sneaky teammate.  Rine becomes angry/annoyed, and come to get said annoying skulk.   Skulk two falls upon hapless rines head and proceeds ingestion.  

Outcome- simple teamwork > marine.

This strat works well with more than one marine as well, mostly because many marines arnet good at close range, even with a shotty when surprised.
 And that is the key.  Keep the mainres looking at every shadow and they miss the skulk in the bright lights because they are looking the wrong way.  The bait can also be other lifeforms, like gorges, fades, whatever.  

This strat does lose its effectiveness later in the game, especially when the marines have heavys.  THis leads to the other portion of the strat.  same idea, same setup.  

Add a fade up close.  Which will the mairne go for first?  The fade? or the pesky little skulk that "can't hurt me I'm a heavy!!"?

I think we know the answer.  So long as the aliens have the jump on the mairnes, they win, which is why i prefer movements (for silence) and sensories ( for sof) first.  Admittedly, these need to be placed at the game start, but they come as a surpries for the marines.  

So, I have clearly presented my ideas, but I may have missed the point.
Kodiac teh Pirate Bear
One part comm, one part cheerleader, 3 parts cuddly bear

November 05, 2004, 09:28:10 PM
Reply #25

Vitamin Lead

• Skulk

• View Profile
If it actually were replaced, what kind of gun would replace it? there'd have to be another, otherwise the gap between lmg and hmg would have to be closed somehow. (As far as actually ability to get and hmg.)
[snapback]32542[/snapback]

:D  o ya

November 06, 2004, 01:35:03 PM
Reply #26

SuicidaL MonkeY

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
finally......lol....

i would suggest making the shotgun into a double barrel shotgun....the same power as it is now, but it can only shoot twice before having to reload...

or possibly a futuristic plasma rifle or.....heh.....BFG  9000  :lol:

November 06, 2004, 01:38:37 PM
Reply #27

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
finally......lol....

i would suggest making the shotgun into a double barrel shotgun....the same power as it is now, but it can only shoot twice before having to reload...

or possibly a futuristic plasma rifle or.....heh.....BFG  9000  :lol:
[snapback]32906[/snapback]

i dont think thats a good idea. I mean its cool and all, but it doesnt really solve the issue, which i think is that the shotty is a bit too powerful against skulks and fades, and for hive rushing, and basically worthless against anything else. giving him more bullets just makes the gap wider, IMO.

November 06, 2004, 01:47:56 PM
Reply #28

SuicidaL MonkeY

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
Low.....which is why i suggested not having the count for a shotgun at 8...and drop it to 2(throw in the dbl barrel)..come to think of it raise the realod time a lil bit, which means you'd need more than one rine with a shotgun to take a fade down..and if a skulk rushes...one shot miss other hit....and another skulk comes runnin...all you can do is try to reload you shotty in time or pull out the pistol / knife....monkeys brain workin..... :blink: .....scares me.....

November 06, 2004, 01:52:15 PM
Reply #29

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
Low.....which is why i suggested not having the count for a shotgun at 8...and drop it to 2(throw in the dbl barrel)..come to think of it raise the realod time a lil bit, which means you'd need more than one rine with a shotgun to take a fade down..and if a skulk rushes...one shot miss other hit....and another skulk comes runnin...all you can do is try to reload you shotty in time or pull out the pistol / knife....monkeys brain workin..... :blink: .....scares me.....
[snapback]32908[/snapback]

ok ok... now i get you!

thats a good idea, having to reload the shotty after every 2 shots. That would be a great way to reduce the RoF (which i thought was an excellent idea) without actually reducing the literal "rate of fire" keeping it so that a fair player can still kill, solving the steep learning curve that a slow shotty would present. But now that you have to reload after each pair of blasts, you still have to make each shot count quite a bit.
Most of the better aliens ive seen travel in pairs anyway, and making the shotty so slow that it was one kill or no kill would only serve to have a rine steady steady steady blam kill skulk 1, then skulk 2 comes and gets him before hes ready to shoot again. Lame.

November 06, 2004, 03:56:29 PM
Reply #30

Sydney Carton

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://etotheipi.blogspot.com
With two shots per reload, I think most mediocre players (myself at the head of the group) would never be able to kill a fade, even with a couple SGers. That would increase the domination of the single skilled fade.

I'm not sure how skilled players would fare, because I'm not one of them, hehe.
-------------------------------------
'Tis a far coarser topology that I refine...

November 06, 2004, 05:19:43 PM
Reply #31

LowCrawler

• Reserved Slot
  • Onos

• View Profile
With two shots per reload, I think most mediocre players (myself at the head of the group) would never be able to kill a fade, even with a couple SGers. That would increase the domination of the single skilled fade.

I'm not sure how skilled players would fare, because I'm not one of them, hehe.
[snapback]32919[/snapback]

maybe then the double would be powerful enough that maybe *four* shots (eg. a pair of sgers) would be able to kill a default fade?

booj what was your "mediocre" idea?

November 06, 2004, 05:42:15 PM
Reply #32

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
Well... since someone is actually asking about it, I guess I'll post.

The Flak Gun. (if you have played UT, get that flak cannon out of yer head)

This would fire pellets much like a shotgun, but would not do damage on impact. Rather, they would go a set distance (random between min/max range) then pop; "explode seems like too harsh a word to use. What this would do is allow the shotgun to be used against leaping skulks, lerks, and blinking fades more easily in that you would fire slightly in front of them so that they fly into the hail of flak. Just like what happens with aircraft in wars.
However this would also reduce the structure killing ability of the weapon to nearly zilch, given there is no damage done on impact.

So ya... not that great of an idea, I'm always trying to think up a better one.

November 06, 2004, 08:28:45 PM
Reply #33

Vitamin Lead

• Skulk

• View Profile
That's kind've a fun idea actually. I have another flak cannon idea: make it do very little damage, like 3 or 4 per pellet to a skulk for example, and have it fire little metal shards like shotgun pellets. The shards don't do much, but go through the first target it hits, like piercing damage. The bigger the target, the more damage it takes , so it is just as effective against all lifeforms, and must be used en masse to be effective. That way, two good shotties can't fend off a cara fade for hours, but they don't suck.

The double barrel idea was also good, make it do tons of damage up close, pratically nil far away, and have only two shots.

~VL

November 06, 2004, 09:07:29 PM
Reply #34

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
A bewt.

A steel toed boot so powerful that when the Marine kicks something, it instantly dies just like the shotgun does to basically everything

Just Imagine, a group of 8 Marines kicking an Onos to death.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 09:08:46 PM by Diablus »

November 07, 2004, 05:56:23 AM
Reply #35

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Diablus gets to ride the short yellow dropship.

November 07, 2004, 11:01:43 AM
Reply #36

A Boojum Snark

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• View Profile
*runs off to customization forum to request a Duke's Foot shotgun replacement

:p

November 07, 2004, 12:52:22 PM
Reply #37

Clashen

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
*runs off to customization forum to request a Duke's Foot shotgun replacement

:p
[snapback]32954[/snapback]

Already done! DR_FUZZY made one a while ago.
<snip>, your sig image is, or rather was i suppose, 48kb, max size is 22kb. - DHP
<zing>, your mom is, or rather was i suppose, 200kg, max size is 100kg LOL - clashen

November 09, 2004, 06:18:19 PM
Reply #38

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
you took me seriously? :blink:

November 10, 2004, 02:41:00 PM
Reply #39

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
What about assigning it a new damage type? Full damage to small lifeforms, 3/4 to large lifeforms,  half to structures?

Sure, you can get to the hive, but good luck taking it down.