Author Topic: Idea!  (Read 8464 times)

November 02, 2004, 09:28:40 PM
Reply #20

fatty

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
which again forces Defence Chambers as first upgrade, something a lot of people want to get away from.
[snapback]32644[/snapback]
agree with stacey.
wow did i just agree with the drunk british guy?  

:o
 :blink:  

November 03, 2004, 03:38:15 AM
Reply #21

Slink

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile
don't worry.  it got shut down by zunni.

ouch.
"That's a rather tender subject.  Another slice anyone?"

*Warning: Content May Not Be "G" Rated.  And it may be morally reprehensible, to boot.

November 03, 2004, 04:08:03 PM
Reply #22

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
It would be a good idea when researched, to have 3 grens per life, instead of one.
[snapback]31467[/snapback]
I like that Idea. And/or make them more powerful.
[snapback]31475[/snapback]

The reason why you don't have anymore then 1 grenade is to promote TEAMWORK.

Then again, Teamwork doesn't seem to exsist for Marines anymore v_v It always seems to be "Ninja PG here, Rambo There, etc"
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 04:09:19 PM by Diablus »

November 10, 2004, 02:44:36 PM
Reply #23

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
What if a grenade leaves a small burning plasma charge? Area denial for a few seconds, keep lerks out of the vents for enough time to take positions.

November 11, 2004, 09:31:17 AM
Reply #24

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
I thought we already came to the conclusion that the marines are more than powerful enough as it is.

November 11, 2004, 04:37:15 PM
Reply #25

Diablus

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
What if a grenade leaves a small burning plasma charge? Area denial for a few seconds, keep lerks out of the vents for enough time to take positions.
[snapback]33192[/snapback]

I for one think HG's should just be removed. Not made stronger. Because as Grimm mentioned a few times, Marines are already overpowered against Aliens

why make the onslaught even worse? :blink:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2004, 04:43:59 PM by Diablus »

November 30, 2004, 12:09:24 PM
Reply #26

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
marines are only overpowered when they get good tech

I for one would love to see the hand grenade toss have a little more omph to it, so you could actually bounce it off a wall or two, and having 2 per spawn would encourage people to use them more, most people including myself forget that hand nades have been researched.
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

December 01, 2004, 12:20:49 PM
Reply #27

Crispy

• Skulk

• View Profile
Having more per spawn makes little difference to how much people want to use a weapon. The fact is that Hand Grenades are pants as they are but only need a slight change to make them a viable. Once the NS.com forums are instated I'll be happy to show you what needs changing (there was quite a bit of discussion about this one) but I think it's possible something that needs to wait until the next version.

We all know that Marines are too powerful, the new siege damage will definitely take them down a peg or two so I'm happy with having slight tweaks in beta6 in view of this fact. Everyone needs to stop pressurizing the Devs for more and more changes, no matter how much something gets PTd the real playtest remains with the Pub game (and moreso as the competitive standard is raised). In my opinion it's better to have less, but significant changes than to throw in a bunch of tweaks because the Marines are overpowered. The best changes will be those that really alter the gameplay, which is pretty wooden and monochrome at the moment. A repetitive and irritating archetype is what exists at the moment and it's for exactly this reason that players are growing tired of the 'sameold sameold'.

I'm pretty confident in the NS Dev team reviving NS' gameplay for the next version. I'm also waiting for ns_hulk and ns_source (the map) as possible new official maps for B6...  :rolleyes:
A lovely thing to see:
through the paper window's hole,
the Galaxy.

December 02, 2004, 10:20:50 AM
Reply #28

[Freemantle]

• Lerker

• View Profile
I think speaking of hand grenades as a balance issue is a moot point until we know what abilities are going to replace the useless ones (Acid Rocket, Primal Scream, Charge, and possibly Xenocide). If they bump acid rocket to 60 splash damage and replace charge with "volcano erupts from ground and burns your flesh!!1" then I think that hand grenades wouldn't be terrible in a pack of 2 of 3.
Your sig's dimensions are too big, max is 400x75, yours is 455x120. -DHP
[size=8]Why am I still playing this game?[/size]

December 02, 2004, 10:32:52 AM
Reply #29

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Xenocide is really anything but unuseful. And if you have three hives, you're probably going to win. Xenocide really helps against an marine advance (usually their last attempt).
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

December 03, 2004, 07:00:40 AM
Reply #30

Crispy

• Skulk

• View Profile
You seem to be forgetting about a little thing called Combat Mode.

No matter how poor a gamemode you may think it is the Devs still have to balance the game for both ns_ and co_ modes, [Edit] and in Combat Xenocide is anything but unuseful. Primal Scream also rox many, many sox...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 07:03:24 AM by Crispy »
A lovely thing to see:
the Galaxy.

December 04, 2004, 07:17:01 AM
Reply #31

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile

No matter how poor a gamemode you may think it is the Devs still have to balance the game for both ns_ and co_ modes, [Edit] and in Combat Xenocide is anything but unuseful. Primal Scream also rox many, many sox...
[snapback]35052[/snapback]
In fact, you describe the single biggest flaw in the design of co_, namely the completely, utterly stupid assumption that every little change implemented in one gametype has to go into the other one too. If something works fine in ns_ games but not in co_ games, for heaven's sake, only put it into ns_, and leave co_ alone. Same thing the other way around, of course.

December 05, 2004, 10:46:40 AM
Reply #32

Crispy

• Skulk

• View Profile

[snapback]35052[/snapback]
In fact, you describe the single biggest flaw in the design of co_, namely the completely, utterly stupid assumption that every little change implemented in one gametype has to go into the other one too. If something works fine in ns_ games but not in co_ games, for heaven's sake, only put it into ns_, and leave co_ alone. Same thing the other way around, of course.
[snapback]35149[/snapback]

Well they usally keep the weapon/ability/class/upgrade effects the same in both so as not to confuse new players. They want to do this to expand their playerbase. They want to do this because Flayra's creating a new company and he wants to draw as many current customers as possible to his new releases. Why? Once again it all boils down to money, and unfortunately sacrifices are frequently made in the quest for a greener life.
A lovely thing to see:
the Galaxy.

December 06, 2004, 04:23:52 AM
Reply #33

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I believe in "give the customer what he wants and he'll pay you for it," though. Yes, we don't pay for NS in general. A fraction of us does, though, and the greater the playerbase, the greater the money. And the game continuously seems to alienate its playerbase. The resolve to keep the two gametypes alike may be a question of marketing over design, but I believe that it's a bad decision even from the standpoint of marketing. It's shooting yourself in the foot plain and simple.

December 06, 2004, 08:59:31 AM
Reply #34

Crispy

• Skulk

• View Profile
Couldn't agree more with the statement, but I don't see much evidence of it harming the Classic side of the game. If you prefer Classic, find a server that plays ns_maps.

This tangent seemed to originate from TAK's comment about wanting more HGs ("in packs of 2 or 3") because people forget that they've been researched. The Dev team have said they won't change game elements to cater for a player-side problem.
A lovely thing to see:
the Galaxy.

December 09, 2004, 07:25:00 PM
Reply #35

duherman

• Onos

• View Profile
    • Q-Dance
That should keep the aliens in the vent.

December 09, 2004, 07:47:41 PM
Reply #36

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
Anyone who things that the alien structures are overpowered has not played alein NEARLY enough...  The only alien issues that need to be adressed in my opinion are the unstoppable nessecity of fades, defence first, and lerks ability to pancake (the others all ivolve buffs not nerfs)
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

December 09, 2004, 07:52:07 PM
Reply #37

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
We've been playing MC first a lot lately actually. Works great for saving the second hive, supporting a good lerk.

December 09, 2004, 11:20:20 PM
Reply #38

SwiftSpear

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • my site
We've been playing MC first a lot lately actually. Works great for saving the second hive, supporting a good lerk.
[snapback]35703[/snapback]
I've Always known MC first is a VERY viable tactic when FF is on...  I've pushed for MC first SO many games.  The problem is that DC first is dependent tooth and nail on getting the first fade, so it doesn't nessicarily kill you to all go off and rambo at the possible cost of putting up 2nd hive quick...  If you don't get the 2nd hive up ASAP in MC first you are screwed as soon as high level weapons hit the map.  People just wouldn't change thier playing strategies
<------OOOooooOOOoo, Hyperlink!
Final Hope Faith, COME ONE COME ALL

December 10, 2004, 08:46:22 AM
Reply #39

Legionnaired

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
[snapback]35703[/snapback]
I've Always known MC first is a VERY viable tactic when FF is on...  I've pushed for MC first SO many games.  The problem is that DC first is dependent tooth and nail on getting the first fade, so it doesn't nessicarily kill you to all go off and rambo at the possible cost of putting up 2nd hive quick...  If you don't get the 2nd hive up ASAP in MC first you are screwed as soon as high level weapons hit the map.  People just wouldn't change thier playing strategies
[snapback]35714[/snapback]

Good point. I find that one scary lerk can be better than a fade for containment/demoralization/strain on res through meds.

The counter, of course, is an expensive elec lockdown strat.