Author Topic: Unbanned From Naturalselection.org Forums  (Read 5016 times)

October 11, 2004, 10:18:40 AM
Reply #20

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
whayda mean make them worthwhile? they already are and have been

NS has done nothing but get bigger and better since 1.xx and most people tend to gloss over that. The forums are full of nice cheerfull helpfull people  <3
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

October 11, 2004, 10:22:22 AM
Reply #21

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://
I more or less meant something like 'to make them the worthwhile place that they are' but that's more of a semantic silliness than anything else. My point is that I find them very good forums, and moreso now that I've seen a little bit of the work that goes into keeping worthless crap off of them... You have no idea how often people just try to spam junk in perfectly good threads, or turn something into a sudden flame war, or just generally post a thread insulting everyone and their dog. Even the sig and avatar limits. You don't think about rules like that having any effect, until you go to a forum with no limits and everyone has HUGE sigs that break the forum tables and take 20 minutes to load because they consist of an entire 5 minute clip from the Matrix... geesh. Give me the ns forums and their tiny fast loading sigs any day.

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

October 11, 2004, 10:31:37 AM
Reply #22

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Spoken like a true moderator. If lm.org is a tiny fraction of the work that goes into keeping ns.org relatively civil and junk-free, the moderators over there are doing a heaping load of work. I expect you guys split up the work over there somehow. Here, I make an effort to at least skim every active thread, regardless of whether the title captures my interest or not, but I don't see how a single person could possibly accomplish that over there.

October 11, 2004, 11:37:31 AM
Reply #23

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
ns.org is 935810957% better now that the Bob is on the case.
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

October 11, 2004, 12:54:44 PM
Reply #24

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Well the work sort of seems to fall to whoever wants it, and whoever is on at the time. Although some people take more care of certain areas than others. Like delarosa pretty much has the whole customization forum and all its subforums. And mapping is usually handled by tyr and greedo386, although I hang out there a lot also, so I'm doing some of that too. And I&S is of course Zunni's baby, although I'm Zunni's evil henchman in there too. General and O/T are the usual places where junk threads will end up, and just about everyone watches those.

What an exciting look into the world of modding eh? (and by the way, hasn't THIS thread gone horribly off topic?)  :p

October 11, 2004, 04:17:19 PM
Reply #25

Grimm

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimmus
There have always been too many people ready to jump on the negativity bandwagon and complain sooner than discuss maturely. Someone would make a thread about a game they've been playing and would like to recommend, or a game they're looking forward to, and people post in the thread just to say "That game sux, why would you ever play it?" and never respond again, or, in a worse situation, come back to bash the topic even more. That on top of how many people make small posts just to get their postcount up, not adding anything constructive to a thread at all.

You're preaching to the choir when you bring up the sig and avatar limits around me. As someone who's been around on different forums, I like the limited size that the NS and LM boards have. People often put whatever random image they have into a sig just to have a sig, but with the limits there is less random junk in a sig and it adds more of a challenge for someone who likes to make sigs; I have less room to work with to make something that looks cool without being annoying or an eyesore.

I never said that the NS forums were bad, I never said the moderators weren't doing their jobs; I was merely expressing the fact that I can only handle a certain amount of general lameness that a lot of the members display. For a long while, I really enjoyed being part of a community, communicating with people that had shared similar interests. But eventually, all of the little things that annoyed me, the postcount whores, the general asshats, and did what I tell other people to do: leave. I didn't like the atmosphere, I didn't like the annoyances, so instead of remaining and turning into an angry troll, I left.

I have recently begun reading the boards again, usually in my free time in class. There are a lot of intelligent individuals on the boards, a lot more people that are able to say "Hey, that isn't cool" to people who are being rude or inconsiderate, and people that do a very nice job presenting a topic they enjoy and want to share with others, such as the threads about the Nintendo DS for example. There are more people that I can identify with and express my ideas without worrying so much about someone posting "That idea is stupid" and running off.

So next time, at least make an attempt to understand my reasoning before going off and scold me. I'm not just some young "teenangster" who goes around hating things for no real good purpose.

October 11, 2004, 11:37:34 PM
Reply #26

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Well it's the difference between the implications in:

I don't quite see a reason to want to be unbanned in the NS boards...
[snapback]30955[/snapback]

And the clear, well thought out point of view presented in:

There have always been too many people ready to jump on the negativity bandwagon and complain sooner than discuss maturely. Someone would make a thread about a game they've been playing and would like to recommend, or a game they're looking forward to, and people post in the thread just to say "That game sux, why would you ever play it?" and never respond again, or, in a worse situation, come back to bash the topic even more. That on top of how many people make small posts just to get their postcount up, not adding anything constructive to a thread at all.

You're preaching to the choir when you bring up the sig and avatar limits around me. As someone who's been around on different forums, I like the limited size that the NS and LM boards have. People often put whatever random image they have into a sig just to have a sig, but with the limits there is less random junk in a sig and it adds more of a challenge for someone who likes to make sigs; I have less room to work with to make something that looks cool without being annoying or an eyesore.

I never said that the NS forums were bad, I never said the moderators weren't doing their jobs; I was merely expressing the fact that I can only handle a certain amount of general lameness that a lot of the members display. For a long while, I really enjoyed being part of a community, communicating with people that had shared similar interests. But eventually, all of the little things that annoyed me, the postcount whores, the general asshats, and did what I tell other people to do: leave. I didn't like the atmosphere, I didn't like the annoyances, so instead of remaining and turning into an angry troll, I left.

I have recently begun reading the boards again, usually in my free time in class. There are a lot of intelligent individuals on the boards, a lot more people that are able to say "Hey, that isn't cool" to people who are being rude or inconsiderate, and people that do a very nice job presenting a topic they enjoy and want to share with others, such as the threads about the Nintendo DS for example. There are more people that I can identify with and express my ideas without worrying so much about someone posting "That idea is stupid" and running off.

That gives us the difference between understanding, and assumption based merely on the tone of a one line post.

So next time, at least make an attempt to understand my reasoning before going off and scold me. I'm not just some young "teenangster" who goes around hating things for no real good purpose.

Now who's reading into something?  :p Don't worry grimm, I'm not accusing you of anything as horrible as teenangsterhood. I respect you for the intelligent poster that you are. Let's kiss and make up.

October 12, 2004, 04:51:44 AM
Reply #27

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I can understand what Grimm means with "general lameness" though. I regularly swing by Off-Topic and Discussion, but I stay away from other forums like I would from the plague. Yesterday I thought "Oh well, can't hurt" and have a look into General. I immediately find these two gems. I dunno what amazes me most, that anybody would make a thread like that or that anybody would want to resurrect it.
I'm staying out of there.

October 13, 2004, 10:24:59 AM
Reply #28

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yeah, very classy posts those were. But at least appreciate the fact that they were quickly locked after being posted. Even though most people on the forums like to spam "IBTL!!!!" on every stupid post. I think we need more LM style postcount-- for spamming.

October 13, 2004, 12:18:04 PM
Reply #29

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Rather impossible. With all the spam going on, you'd have no end of work to do.

October 13, 2004, 01:50:56 PM
Reply #30

Doobie Dan

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
What does IBTL stand for?   :huh:
God, it's so creamy.
[snapback]33239[/snapback]

October 13, 2004, 01:52:09 PM
Reply #31

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

October 13, 2004, 02:55:31 PM
Reply #32

Clashen

• Legacy Reserved
  • Onos

• View Profile
<snip>, your sig image is, or rather was i suppose, 48kb, max size is 22kb. - DHP
<zing>, your mom is, or rather was i suppose, 200kg, max size is 100kg LOL - clashen

October 14, 2004, 05:59:37 AM
Reply #33

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Ah, that's kinda what I assumed, although I was thinking along the lines of "I be the last! (before the lock)".

October 14, 2004, 07:00:11 AM
Reply #34

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
for the ns forums most likely it is "in before the lock"

just taking a stab at it though but eh lf could be right just as well
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

October 14, 2004, 10:19:36 AM
Reply #35

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
In before the lock makes the most sense.

So that's how people in the NS Forums have such high postcounts... Everybody just spams. That's crazy. Now I'm glad that I don't have an account with the NS Forums. v_v

We are the shadow that comes in the night and says "ARRR!"
"yarrr I'm gaybeard the butt pirate, and I've come to plunder yer booty!" -TAK

October 14, 2004, 10:26:59 AM
Reply #36

That Annoying Kid

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
hey now, I didn't spam my way to a high postcount, I made meaningfull posts  :)
MAC DRE: Cold Crest Creeper, a rapper that would dip-n-yoke quicker than he could pimp-n-smoke, flows  that hit your ears harder than Ike hit Tina. Forced to serve a Nickle but would never drop a Dime.
K.C watch out cause the Bay's down like four flats on a Cadilac.

October 14, 2004, 03:20:32 PM
Reply #37

Dark

• Legacy Reserved
  • HA Marine

• View Profile
heh that is funny cause i've read some of your post here and i'm wondering if spam tastes really good to you here.

anyways enough bashing tak from meh cause in the recent days his posts have been better than those meanderings thing of old

i have an account on the ns boards just to check the consti forum every now and then
er.. which doohickey is the capacitor? and not a FLUX capacitor right?!? cuz then i'd have to put it in my Dolorian..
[/b]

October 14, 2004, 04:25:57 PM
Reply #38

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
AND to read MY posts right? RIGHT???!? oh who am i kidding, it's bob who makes all the thoughtful erudite posts anyhoo :)
-Richard Feynman