Author Topic: Our Very Own Do0blex's Map...  (Read 30018 times)

December 30, 2003, 02:02:26 PM
Reply #60

Isamil

• Onos

• View Profile
    • http://
How about "Nuclear Core" for one of them.  It kind of fits the color of the map.

December 30, 2003, 02:46:06 PM
Reply #61

TheChuckster

• Skulk

• View Profile
    • http://thechuckster.beigetower.org
Instead of Generator, how about Ventilation?

thechuckster.beigetower.org -- Finally a game site that's free.

December 30, 2003, 04:51:54 PM
Reply #62

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yes Ventilation. And cargo. You've got to have a cargo hive. And then call the third one Generic_Hive_Location_03. Or come up with some cool names and be the man.

Looks good, inspiring me to maybe get back to the map ideas I've been tossing around for too long. I started learning mapping in Action HL but never finished anything, thought I might try NS mapping... then reading the NS mapping forum scared me with lots of talk including technical terms I wasn't familiar with. Maybe I'll try it again, if Hammer would just stop crashing every time I do one small thing. Hooray for betas!

Anyhoo, your map looks very cool. Keep it coming!

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

December 30, 2003, 06:40:03 PM
Reply #63

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Okay, the hallway part is more clear now. Love the cliffs, nice to see you got them FINALLY the way you wanted.

I like making 'finishing touches' on things so I'm going to (keep) hounding you on stupid things I'd like to see. Because I don't have the time and patience to make my own map you get to be my outlet :D

You said you didn't know if it was worth the polys to detail the outside of marine spawn. One easy way to detail that connecting hallway would be a simple pipe. From the cliff wall just have a pipe running out, and have it arbitrarially connecting to the hallway. A cold blue floodlight might make an ideal way to draw focus on it and off the rest of the outside.

Barring a pipe, a simple 'valves and dials' texture on a box illuminated in green would work.

Oh BTW: Dubs, backups ;)

December 30, 2003, 07:44:05 PM
Reply #64

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Thanks, Uranium ^^

I need the help detailing and whatnot - that's what I have trouble with more than anything esle.  I'm just praying that I can fudge with teh VIS enough so my r_speeds aren't off the charts.  :p

Keep the ideas flowing.

December 30, 2003, 08:45:33 PM
Reply #65

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yeah, once I see some more areas (esp. the hives), I could cook up some names. To me, the map looks like it will be fairly dark, like before. If this is the case, you should name it something with the word night in the title. Maybe ns_nightvision or something similar.
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

December 30, 2003, 10:22:29 PM
Reply #66

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
One thing I don't like about most NS maps is the lack of theming. Mineshaft and Hera had great theming. Nothing and Tanith were a bunch of empty hallways connecting to arbitrary rooms. Since this is a new map from scratch, I certainly hope to see some of that themeing come through. I think that 'research center' clicheness is partly responsible for that. Perhaps ns_dubbles could be slightly different.

Another thing is, although Flayra is 'whine whine no blood', most maps look like they've had a janitorial service run through before the marines arrive. Nothing is broken or derelict, everything is in perfect functioning order.

- Flickering lights.
 - Smashed, broken things.
 - Weldables to 'fix' broken parts of the map (You said you were no good with entities though... I know less ;))

Some new things I've never seen done that are possible:

Uranium Storage - ;) Adjoining to an engine or reactor core, perhaps a room with long green glowing crystal cylinders (fuel rods) split out of crates. Have a few func_hurts around them? Could even make a spooky place for a hive, albeit dangerous.

Armory  - Would be neat to have respawning ammo packs lying around... imagine being low on ammo and hoping to make a run for the armory. Scatter a few respawning (or non-grabbable) LMGs and Pistols on the floor. They're free anyways so who gives a damn.

Utility Subaccess - Could go nuts with entities and such if you wanted to: Break a pipe and a section fills with water... weld a panel and it illuminates a section better... weld something else and it opens a dangerous utility tunnel (Think the big vents in bast) full of obstacles and whatnot but brings marines around the map?

Anyways, do you have a 'theme' you want to run for the map? A military post? A prison? An intergalactic brothel?

BTW: Explain what the hell an r_speed is, and why does it matter?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 10:23:15 PM by Uranium - 235 »

December 31, 2003, 09:09:37 AM
Reply #67

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
In essense, 'r_Speed' collectively refers to the number of non-entity polies that the engine is drawing at a cetain time.  A good number at any given time is 500 - anything above can decrease server performance when a lot of activity is going around.   As you play, the engine will draw whatever is in a certain radius around you (for example if you load up a map and go marine, the game engine isn't rendering the hive rooms or anything out of the room you're in).  There are special tweaks that can be done to decrease this radius (some spots on the old ns_dubbilex had r_speeds of 1100-1300 before i made these tweaks - and I would've gotten a resounding "No. F*cking. Way." from Flay and Co.  

On an average, r_speeds should be around 500.  700 (maybe 600 now - I'm not sure if the guidelines were changed since 1.0X) is the highest that Flay will allow, in order to maximize in-game performance.

The theme of this map is basically that of a derelict outpost in an arctic clime somewhere - most likely an asteroid.   I envision it as a pumping station or resoource gathering station of some sort, hense the profuse use of pipes.  The cool color palette that I used was also purposeful - doesn't make much sense that a cold, desolate outpost would have red and yellow (and other such 'warm' colors) around, does it?

About the smashed/flickering things:  I'll do this as much as possible - the only problem being that again, the HL engine has entity limits, too (even further compounded by NS's massive use of entities).  Because of this, I only have 100 or so th throw around before Flay starts shaking his head.  When the architecture is finished, I'll do everything within my power to make it dirty enough for you  :p

Your uranium storage brings up an interesting idea - perhaps I can put small, inside jokes like this throughout the entire map, in order to give it some character and emotional value.  You guys will have to help me think of other additions like this to add (lb's smash-o-rama chamber is on the slate, as well as some sort of 'uranium storage' room so far).  it'll be a community effort  :p

Thanks once again - I'll do my best to get some work done today so you can specifically help me with certain parts, instead of me forcing you to come up with general themes and whatnot.  ^^

January 01, 2004, 12:30:18 PM
Reply #68

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
So how is it more work for the server to render 90% of the map for 1 client...

but it's not a load for the server to render 10% unique parts of the map for 9 clients?

Anyway don't OVERdo it on flickering lights. Done wrong, they can be very headache-inducing. Nothing spaztic, just a blinky-blink-blink kinda thing.

(Wishes func_breakables could be specified to break only with certain weapons)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2004, 12:31:49 PM by Uranium - 235 »

January 02, 2004, 12:26:20 PM
Reply #69

Satiagraha

• Marine

• View Profile
excellent idea as a way to give character to the map.  sounds like its gonna be a cool map, although i always wondered... where do the marines go to the bathroom? is there a drainage system in their suits? shouldn't they have a "personal waste disposal unit" or something? The maps never have a bathroom :p
I love the idea of an interactive environment (IE. the weldables and breakables), but i understand the problem with limits and such. I used to do a lot of TFC mapping.

BTW, where can i find the ns mapping .fgd for Hammer?

EDIT: Changed "Worldcraft" to "Hammer", silly old name...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 12:27:06 PM by Satiagraha »

We are the shadow that comes in the night and says "ARRR!"
"yarrr I'm gaybeard the butt pirate, and I've come to plunder yer booty!" -TAK

January 02, 2004, 12:32:09 PM
Reply #70

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
im pretty sure its in the mod folder, unless a 3.0 fgd has been released...

this is the .44 Wand, the most powerful wand in the world, so did I fire 5 or 6 fireballs? Now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?

January 02, 2004, 02:56:53 PM
Reply #71

lolfighter

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
I'm sure that the 'lolfighter room' would sound pretty silly. :rolleyes:

January 02, 2004, 02:59:33 PM
Reply #72

Dirty Harry Potter

• Onos

• View Profile
a disco room is necesary(sp?)!

Now we d0nce!

this is the .44 Wand, the most powerful wand in the world, so did I fire 5 or 6 fireballs? Now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?

January 02, 2004, 03:53:38 PM
Reply #73

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
I'm sure that the 'lolfighter room' would sound pretty silly. :rolleyes:
Allright, lmao - be tactful.   Like...for instance.....maybe I can DAMMIT.  FINISH MY GODFORSAKEN POST BEFORE I HIT THE POST BUTTON.

Anyways, Here's an example - I could take...an owl texture (in order to suck up/ glorify Hoots) and out it in some sekrat, unaccessable place somewhere - much like teh Zowee picture in eclipse :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 03:55:09 PM by Dubb »

January 02, 2004, 08:53:03 PM
Reply #74

Malevolent

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Very good idea this personalization thing. Don't know what I'd like though...
It's twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reason.

January 02, 2004, 10:20:13 PM
Reply #75

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Don't be dissapointed if they don't make it in though, Dubbs has silly restrictions :/

January 14, 2004, 01:28:19 PM
Reply #76

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile

January 14, 2004, 03:19:31 PM
Reply #77

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Yeah, what's the latest status on this thang?

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

January 14, 2004, 03:44:48 PM
Reply #78

Dubbilex

• Legacy Reserved
  • Marine

• View Profile
Don't be dissapointed if they don't make it in though, Dubbs has silly restrictions :/
I don't have silly nothin's!  :angry:  :lol:

But uhh...progress goes slowly.  Lately, I've been busy as all hell and haven't gotten much done.  I basically textured and built most of another room - but it's not in good enough shape to showcase as of yet.  I usually map when spurts of random boredness/inspiration hit me.  

And I haven't had one for awhile - something's coming.  I can feel it.

I will do my very best to get some more content for you, my loyal fans, before the week is out.  I swear!  :huh:  :)

January 14, 2004, 04:01:50 PM
Reply #79

Uranium - 235

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
And I haven't had one for awhile - something's coming.  I can feel it.
Too much bean dip