Author Topic: Grayduck's Rage  (Read 5769 times)

September 30, 2004, 11:17:15 PM
Read 5769 times

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    Nemesis of fun the world over
    • View Profile
Map Veil
Thursday Evening (September, 30)

I go marine (first one on the team) – game starts, and I say “mind if I command” nobody does so I focus on what I’m doing (I have tunnel vision when I command and I didn’t see what else was going on).  All that I KNOW was that Malibu_Stacey was on my team and I was excited because he helps me learn to command.

ANYWAYS, we sucked – I couldn’t keep res, I didn’t pay attention to the teams until I tried asking Stacey something, got no answer and tabbed, he was on aliens.  I asked why he switched and I was told that the teams were stacked before…. Then I looked in the console and saw what was typed

*SPECTATOR* [EC.Redford](The sideways tree) :    someone please change for the poor aliums
fatty killed obs.malibu stacey <jerk faec> with bitegun
 fatty: we draft stacey
scooter-blue killed fatty with machinegun
*SPECTATOR* [EC.Redford](The sideways tree) :    I agree.
*SPECTATOR* [EC.Redford](The sideways tree) :    please change, malibu.
*SPECTATOR* [EC.Redford](The sideways tree) :    tha

SO, sometime early he left, and redford followed onto aliens.  LOOK AT THE TEAMS!  I wouldn’t bitch if they happened to wind up like this – but an ADMIN did this!  And don’t give me the line “well rines have an extra player” – a good player was stolen from my team and planted on the other team, and mine never stood a chance.

OK, sorry if this is childish to rant like this but it completely ruined my mood.

Be sure to look closely at how the teams are!  Look at scores!!!!!
[attachmentid=738]

September 30, 2004, 11:21:26 PM
Reply #1

bacon_flaps

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
    • http://
My presence was a negative handicap, it was all fair =P

Admins didn't really do anything, just made a request and it was followed.  Not like they physically swapped players around to screw you over.
signature

September 30, 2004, 11:23:32 PM
Reply #2

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    • View Profile

Bacon, you went 12 and 3.

September 30, 2004, 11:24:01 PM
Reply #3

Malibu Stacey

• Skulk

• View Profile
I apologise. I didn't want to switch as I'd been forced on to aliens on the last map (nancy) by the so called admin Vinnie and I was aliens on mineshaft before nancy too. I only switched because Redford asked me nicely after fatty suggested it and tbh the way things are going around here someone would've just admin_alien'd me anyway if I hadn't changed.
I enjoy playing marines when Grayduck comms but alas it was not meant to be.
Also me & Bob going Movement Chamber Fades while our 2nd hive was growing didn't help much. One tip is don't turret farm base if you're asking the aliens to end the game or at least recycle the turrents & use the resources to give out weapons or get more upgrades (grenades & catpacks ftw!).

Ness: For the last time, and trust me this will be the last warning I give you on this, if you have an issue with our "so called" staff, whether with it's policies our members, send a PM to an admin, the person you are having issues with, to LB/Jhunz, or make a thread in the PR forum (Since you aren't a RS). If your complaints have anything of sustenance backing them up they will be dealt with. Doing this little bit where you take potshots at the staff where they don't belong all the time isn't cutting it.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 03:19:06 PM by Ness-Earthbound »

September 30, 2004, 11:24:20 PM
Reply #4

Vinegar Ninja

• Legacy Admin
  • Onos

• The one and only!

• Personal Text
    Now with 100% less angst!
    • STEAM_0:0:15737634
    • View Profile
yea, nevermind that it was 7v5 marine favor....
never mind that its in our rules to keep the teams balanced on the number of players
never mind that malibu went willingly

September 30, 2004, 11:26:24 PM
Reply #5

bacon_flaps

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile

Bacon, you went 12 and 3.
[snapback]30032[/snapback]
It was a fluke, I swear it won't happen again.
signature

September 30, 2004, 11:29:29 PM
Reply #6

BobTheJanitor

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
Actually it was me and stacey and fatty going fade if I recall. Rather harsh treatment. I blame... uh... Redford!

EDIT: AND BACORN_FLARPS OMGZ!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2004, 11:30:09 PM by BobTheJanitor »

Lunixmonster: Banning the NS community one smacktard at a time. -lolfighter
there are a lot of aaaa...mmmmm.... "HAPPY" pirates on this ship. -GrayDuck

September 30, 2004, 11:35:57 PM
Reply #7

Malibu Stacey

• Skulk

• View Profile
Like I said in my first post I didn't exactly go "willingly" as you put it. I went before I was pushed and don't try and pretend that wasn't exactly the case.

October 01, 2004, 12:18:19 AM
Reply #8

Seth

• Gorge

• View Profile
    • http://go.to/simclarke
:lol: that is very funny, skill stacked they said? bob and fatty are the 2 best fades around...  <3

well maybe not fatty hes to well umm, fat.

i wish i was there, i always stack rines cause well rines need all the help they can get. (not open for discussion)
Through the mudd and the blood to the green fields beyond, for ours is not to question why our is but to do or die.

And when we die and die we shall to saint peter we shall tell, just another soldier reporting sir, I've served my time in hell.

October 01, 2004, 12:24:19 AM
Reply #9

Redford

• Legacy Admin
  • Gorge

• View Profile
The only thing this post does, as I can see, is to piss me off, which it HAS done quite well.  The teams were not even, I evened them.  That is all.

October 01, 2004, 01:25:30 AM
Reply #10

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Good thinking, batman.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 01:32:37 AM by Mr.Ben »

<3 BenjamiN/Benny/MrBen - Washed up clanner, ex-contributor and forum troll.
#lessthanthree on qnet

October 01, 2004, 01:47:11 AM
Reply #11

Slink

• Legacy Reserved
  • Skulk

• View Profile

Stop.

Take a deep breath.

let it out slowly.  if you need to do it again to relax, do it.

Before you all fly off the handle on this (too late), i ask that you ALL take a second to calm down, and try to think about this rationally.  Emotions have many places in the world, but none of them is in the middle of an argument.

I am an inexperienced comm.  i only have a vauge idea what i'm doing when i'm in the chair.  If i comm a game, rines will loose unless there's a serious skill advantage on rine side.  I understand your position Ms. GrayDuck.  It's frustrating as hell to have something you were counting on suddenly and unexpectedly taken away.  i think i've won a grand total of 2 games as comm.  But, from an outsider's perspective reading your post, i'm going to guess that you felt you were being treated unfairly, and that you were being targeted specifically.  From what i've seen on the Lunixmonster, i'm loathe to say that's actually the case.  I hope you unerstand what i'm saying.

Either way, i've seen too many online communities fragmented over things like this.  Mr. Redford, i've played with you much more than Ms. GrayDuck.  I'm guessing that you too feel like you were being attacked unfairly in this issue.  Again, i'm an outsider, i wasn't on the server at the time.  But from playing with you in the past, you've always seemed fair, kind, and courteous.  I doubt Ms. GrayDuck intended to insult you personally, but i can understand if you came to that conclusion from reading the post.  The English language is an evil, evil creation.

I hope you both can come to terms on this.  I think you're both decent people, and that you're capable of resolving this easily.  Ms. Grayduck was, in effect, given the shaft.  It may have been an unfortunate accident done in the name of balance, game play, etc, but her valiant attempts at comming was still stomped into a puddle of red goo.  If i accidentally hurt someone while trying to fix a different problem, i would do my best to apologize.  On the other side, if i was to try and fix something, and get verbally attacked for  it, then i hope i would get an apology as well, because one would certainly be warranted.

Life's a bitch, then you die.  Please don't make it more of a bitch than it already is.
"That's a rather tender subject.  Another slice anyone?"

*Warning: Content May Not Be "G" Rated.  And it may be morally reprehensible, to boot.

October 01, 2004, 05:12:45 AM
Reply #12

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
My thoughts are this: It's not about numbers, it's about the players, especially with aliens. If you have one team that has a few players with a high level of individual skill then the number of other players on the other team really doesn't matter. In a situation like this taking away the best player on the marine team and adding to the alien team does NOTHING to balance it. Sure it looks balanced but it's quite blatently obvious that aliens are going to romp through the map.

Swapping a less skilled member and allowing malibu to carry on as a marine might of given them a chance in the round. Skill stack is an issue that everyone is aware of and hates but in this situation all redford did was encourage it to happen by asking malibu rather than a lesser skilled player to swap sides.

#lessthanthree on qnet

October 01, 2004, 05:53:10 AM
Reply #13

MrMojo

• Legacy Reserved
  • Lerker

• View Profile
oh no just dont cut :(((!!!

This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality
   Embrace this moment,  Remember, We are eternal
                All this pain is an illusion

October 01, 2004, 08:30:25 AM
Reply #14

GrayDuck

• Legacy Admin
  • Marine

• Personal Text
    • View Profile
Okay, first and foremost I have an apology to make.  I am sorry for the way that I channeled my anger.  I took it out wrong, and actually feel quite silly for it.  And Redford, I am sorry for directing some of my rage directly at you, and calling you an ass, I didn’t mean that, and I hope that you can forgive me.

That said, I was still extremely angry when I realized what had happened to that specific game.  But – eh, that’s a part of NS, and actually something that I enjoy on some weird level.

Without further ado I present to you an article I wrote for the up and coming rebirth of rr.org – I think that if nothing else, it gives you insight into my f-ed up NS mind.

The Vicious Cycle
[size=8]by meh[/size]
High points, low points, and anywhere in between, Natural Selection takes us through every emotion we can think of. Why would we want to open ourselves up to this game if it can result in anger and rage? We've all done it - quit the game frustrated beyond words. Nothing goes right, nobody listens, and we might as well not pull the trigger because we're dead before we accomplish anything. In today's world, who needs a game that infuriates us to the point of yelling and slamming our mouse against our desk? And leaving the emotion at the computer is never as easy as we would hope, we carry it with us – festering about what could have, should have, or might have been.

Why do we do this to ourselves? Why can our day be determined not by the side of the bed we wake up on, but by our kill/death ratio? At times, starting a game of Natural Selection is like reaching out to pet a dog that has just snapped at us. How can we allow ourselves to be entranced by a game that has just kicked our ass?

We cannot quit on a bad note, we must avenge our previous loss. We must taste victory. It is not in our nature to concede to loss. We regroup and re-strategize so the next time we are faced with a battle we may satisfy our blood-lust.

We know the feeling of accomplishment that is attained after winning a challenging game. We have single handedly commanded our team to victory. We have been the sly skulk who attacked the marines when nobody was looking, crippling them, one structure at a time. We have been a part of a hive rush – one last push before an inevitable loss, and we have taken the hive down and turned the tides.

And we cannot quit after a glorious win, we need another one. It is like having an IV of the best drug there is plugged right into our mind. The thought of quitting the drug does nothing but make us want more. We need our fix. So here we sit entrapped in a game that leaves us demanding more after a loss and craving more after a win.

October 01, 2004, 08:37:49 AM
Reply #15

Malibu Stacey

• Skulk

• View Profile
Stop.

Hammertime.

[edit] Very deep Grayduck.

Anyone else find it humourous that the people entrusted to keep the peace on the server are the root of the problem here?

This thread should be entitled "WHEN ADMINS ATTACK" or the ever favourite "Pont".
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 08:41:50 AM by Malibu Stacey »

October 01, 2004, 09:53:20 AM
Reply #16

fatty

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
if you would look at my ping, you would see i'm lagging, and i died as fade after like 3 kills so i was pulling less weight than usual.

regardless, those are stacked. i didn't think we would actually get stacey. it was kind of a joke because then it would be a clan stack and a reg stack.

apologies to the duckeh because i  <3 your commanding when marine.

October 01, 2004, 10:20:06 AM
Reply #17

Doobie Dan

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Stax happens.

Admins are people and WILL make mistakes.  The local admins pretty much always have the server's best interests behind their actions.

And I feel your pain, Duckeh, having teams stacked against you is twice as bad when commanding, cuz you tend to get flamed from the noobs on your team.   :D
God, it's so creamy.
[snapback]33239[/snapback]

October 01, 2004, 11:30:33 AM
Reply #18

Niteowl

• Legacy Admin
  • Commander

• View Profile
    • http://www.oldf.net
HOLY COWS that is one INSANELY stacked alien team. it's at a time like that, when it's time to try the most utterly silly and inventive strat you can possibly think of. There is no way on god's green earth that you'd have pulled even a somewhat even game outta that stack. Perhaps just say "ok, this game is a loss, what can i try? how can i still have fun". I find as long as i cede the win in my mind, it's a _little_ less painful.

with that in mind, everyone on aliens were being UNCOOL!! (as per owl's defn' a few posts ago).

i hope it was ended quickly :/
"I don't have to know an answer, I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell. It doesn't frighten me."
-Richard Feynman

October 01, 2004, 12:53:31 PM
Reply #19

Mr.Ben

• Legacy Reserved
  • Fade

• View Profile
Clan stack too, omg 3 players from obs!

#lessthanthree on qnet